New Fantasy column, 8/13/06 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New Fantasy column, 8/13/06

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Fantasy column, 8/13/06

Postby Warpigs » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:17 pm

Curious what you all think... Feel free to bring the debate, if you want..

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /608130324
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Excellent, EXCELLENT article, Warpigs, it's always fun reading your weekly articles, that said...

I agree with your rule #1 to an extent, I believe with drafting several players from a certain team is definitely not a team killer, depending on the team whom the players are from, which was a point I believe you were getting at. The fantasy team that consisted of most Steelers you mentioned was highly successful because the Steelers were highly successful. It may be redundant, but I don't remember seeing that the emphasis of team strength was to take into effect. I'd GLADLY have Peyton, Joseph Addai/Dominic Rhodes, Reggie, and Marvin all on the same fantasy team, and I'd bet the farm on it being decently successful.

I TOTALLY agree with your rule #2. As you stated, would any experienced fantasy player, or ANY fantasy player at that, give up the oppurtunity to have Larry Johnson and LaDainian Tomlinson on the same team because they have the bye week similarity? Pshh...I'd most gladly take a 12-1 record, with that one loss coming with Greg Jones and T.J. Duckett as my starting RBs, and the 12 wins coming with LJ and LT, and continuing on to an assured fantasy championship.

Excellent read, Warpigs, keep up the good work ;-D
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pangbones » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:42 pm

Good article!! ;-D

You need to pay attention to bye weeks, but you don't pass on the best player because he has a bye the same week as one of your other players. I agree with your strategy. ;-D Now if 2 players are about the same, and one guy has the same bye and the other doesn't, then you go the other way.

I think having too many guys on the same team CAN be a problem, but not always. Having L Fitz and Boldin last year certainly didn't hurt anyone. And Harrison,Wayne, and Stokley the year before didn't hurt anyone either. But, more times than not, having 2 or 3 guys on the same team will limit your teams potential each week.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Double Play Ball » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:44 pm

good read.. I have always agreed 100% with both these strategies/ideas ;-D
Double Play Ball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:11 am

Very good advice for novice FF managers. Drafting players from the same team makes your fantasy team too streaky. And bye weeks arent nearly as important as many believe. Good work.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby biju » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:14 am

I certainly agree with both points (I think one or both of them came up recently in threads as a matter of fact) and they are of value even to the experienced FF'ers!

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Warpigs » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:42 pm

pangbones wrote:Good article!! ;-D

You need to pay attention to bye weeks, but you don't pass on the best player because he has a bye the same week as one of your other players. I agree with your strategy. ;-D Now if 2 players are about the same, and one guy has the same bye and the other doesn't, then you go the other way.

I think having too many guys on the same team CAN be a problem, but not always. Having L Fitz and Boldin last year certainly didn't hurt anyone. And Harrison,Wayne, and Stokley the year before didn't hurt anyone either. But, more times than not, having 2 or 3 guys on the same team will limit your teams potential each week.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Personally, I don't see having several guys from the same team as crippling, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T stretch for a player or draft them at a poor value position. Yes a team overall can have a bad week, but if I drafted Tiki Barber and Plaxico, for example, I wouldn't be worried about streakiness. Barber may have a bad week, but Plax a good one in return picking up the slack. I look at players as variables in an equation. Just because one team may struggle one week and certain players may be affected doesn't mean that other players on other teams won't have similar bad weeks. Overall, the key is drafting smart value-wise. I WILL NOT pass over someone just because they play on the same team as another dude on my roster if I feel they are the next best player on the draft board.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Crippler » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Warpigs wrote:
pangbones wrote:Good article!! ;-D

Thanks for the positive feedback. Personally, I don't see having several guys from the same team as crippling, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T stretch for a player or draft them at a poor value position. Yes a team overall can have a bad week, [b]but if I drafted Tiki Barber and Plaxico, for example, I wouldn't be worried about streakiness. Barber may have a bad week, but Plax a good one in return picking up the slack[/b]. I look at players as variables in an equation. Just because one team may struggle one week and certain players may be affected doesn't mean that other players on other teams won't have similar bad weeks. Overall, the key is drafting smart value-wise. I WILL NOT pass over someone just because they play on the same team as another dude on my roster if I feel they are the next best player on the draft board.

Agreed, but having Plaxico and Eli would be another story. The streakiness usually only comes into play when you have a QB/WR combo.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 am

excellent article. both say that you need to take the best player available which is a very good rule of thumb. 2nd rule is awesome; having 2 starting running backs or wide receivers with the same bye week only makes you stronger all the other weeks.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Football Talk