Helping out a newbie on draft day - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Helping out a newbie on draft day

Moderator: Football Moderators

Helping out a newbie on draft day

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:06 am

This is my second year doing fantasy football. I'm trying to devise a draft-day strategy and more importantly, what I should bring to my live draft.

I've been playing fantasy baseball for over 10 years and pretty much know all the players and have a good idea of the stat categories each player excels in without having to reference a book. However, I'm struggling with football because I just don't have the experience quite yet. What I do for baseball is pre-rank all players by position onto one piece of paper using MS Excel. I find it's an extremely useful tool for me in not only knowing who is left on the board on draft day, but I can easily tell who I have ranked the next-highest by referencing the list. Obviously other factors need to be taken into account when I reference the sheet, such as if my team lacks speed, and I still don't have a 2B, then I need to not just take the next best player at that position, I actually have to look for guys who can steal bases.

Sorry to bring baseball into this, but I'm wondering if pre-ranking players by position is a good/bad strategy for me to use? Without getting too in-depth, what other draft-day strategies can I implement this year in the hopes of winning my league?

Here are the specs:

10 team, H2H with QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, K, DEF

We keep two players from last year and my keepers will be Shaun Alexander and Hines Ward. I'm not really asking about which players to draft. This is more about what I can do to better prepare for draft day.

Thanks for the help!
Gags Sports
Water Boy
Water Boy

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

if you have a laptop

Postby mlavwilson » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:48 pm

If you have a laptop then I would take League Master or Draft Dominator with you.
mlavwilson
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:47 pm

I think it sounds like you've got a good handle on the game. Try using the Value-based draft system, explained in this thread-

VBD explained
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 pm

youre not a noob.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:56 pm

Gibbs Baby!!! wrote:I think it sounds like you've got a good handle on the game. Try using the Value-based draft system, explained in this thread-

VBD explained

mlavwilson wrote:If you have a laptop then I would take League Master or Draft Dominator with you.

Thanks guys!
Gags Sports
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:58 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:youre not a noob.

I'm not a noob to fantasy sports, but I am new to fantasy football. I know that RB's have the most value, but other than that obvious fact, I have no other strategy on draft day.
Gags Sports
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Popcynical » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:59 pm

Gags Sports wrote:

I'm not a noob to fantasy sports, but I am new to fantasy football. I know that RB's have the most value, but other than that obvious fact, I have no other strategy on draft day.

No no! Always draft the kickers first... because they go off the board first! You can wait and trade for an RB later... and both of the Mannings retired. :-)
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Gags Sports wrote:

so what did you learn last season you played fantasy football, nothing?
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gibbs Baby!!! » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:10 pm

Popcynical wrote:
No no! Always draft the kickers first... because they go off the board first! You can wait and trade for an RB later... and both of the Mannings retired. :-)

Why are you giving away trade secrets, Pop???
"We couldn’t do diddley poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked." ~ James Ernest Mora
Gibbs Baby!!!
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 415)

Postby Gags Sports » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Gags Sports wrote:

so what did you learn last season you played fantasy football, nothing?

Last season I learned the hard way how valuable RB's are. I didn't realize that until mid-way through the year.

I'm assuming K and DEF are the least important positions. I've read on this site that in a league with one QB position, you might be better off waiting to draft a QB. Other than that, I don't know.
Gags Sports
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk