16 team draft, what to do id you're at the end? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

16 team draft, what to do id you're at the end?

Moderator: Football Moderators

16 team draft, what to do id you're at the end?

Postby Phatferd » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:29 pm

I am in a 16 team draft tonight and won't know my position for a few hours. If I end up with picks 14-16, should I still draft a RB?

My thoughts are this....If I draft a RB, who could I really get that late that will be that great of a RB. Would it be wiser to select a top QB or WR instead with this pick? I'm thinking of taking a guy like Steve Smith with this pick.
Phatferd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kevster1 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:49 pm

I assume this is a redraft league? If that is the case picking a Rb with one of your first two picks is imperative. In my opinion 16 teams in fantasy football is 4 teams too many, but what do you do now to field the best team possible. In order to compete with the owners with Rb studs like Alexander or Thomlinson, you definitely need to have a couple of stud receivers, one of which must be taken in the first or second round. Given that there are 32 teams in the N.F.L., and I would assume you start two, there will be pretty slim picking after two rounds or so. I would suggest that later in the draft you should take a flyer on a couple of Rb"s that may not be listed as the starter, but may end up as a top notch starter if given the opportunity be it thru injury to the starter, or they are simply better. {Maroney in NE, Williams at Carolina, Barber in Dallas, Or Bennet or Griffin In Kc who would immediatly become ;-D a top 10 back if Johnson woud be unable to finish the year. Good Luck?
kevster1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Little Johnny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:45 pm

This is a classic case of why the auction is so attractive. How can you truly overcome picking 16th in a league when you have absolutely no chance of getting a true stud back? Not only do the top 3 owners get an LJ, Alexander, or Tomlinson, but they will likely get a chance to grab a top wideout because those at the bottom of the draft were forced to gamble on a questionable back.

In my opinion, you use one of those picks on a back...perhaps you could get a Chester Taylor there in hopes that he breaks out, then use the second pick on the best available player. I think taking two backs secures the fact that you are at a disadvantage at RB, without picking up an advantage at another position. In reality, the odds of getting a good back at pick 24 are as good as getting one at pick 16 or 17, assuming that the first round is dominated by the backs as usual. Just my 2 cents.

Johnny ;-D
Little Johnny
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vixtor » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:17 pm

You can't overcome that position. Draft the best players available and hope you get lucky on running backs later. If you don't then what happens is your team is filled with not only the worst running backs but the worst everything else too. Don't count out the fact that a few owners could make really dumb picks and you might be able to in fact land a good back.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 pm

I would definitely try to get a guy like McGahee with the 16 pick and landing a great WR on the way back. Steve Smith will likely be gone, but Owens, CJ, or Holt should be available for your pick on the way back and would make for a decent start.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:52 pm

16 Teams in a league takes a lot of skill out of the game. It becomes too much about who gets the stud RB's.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Phatferd » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:58 am

I ended up with the 9th pick and took S. Jackson and Bush on the way back. I ended up with Wayne as my top WR and Bulger as QB.
Phatferd
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:02 pm

Phatferd wrote:I ended up with the 9th pick and took S. Jackson and Bush on the way back. I ended up with Wayne as my top WR and Bulger as QB.

Good picks...you need high upside guys to overcome your draft position, and all three of your top players have a decent chance to do some damage this year. Much better to grab high upside guys in a league like this than to get steady producers, IMO.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk