Strategy Question-Do you take 3RBs straight off the bat? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy Question-Do you take 3RBs straight off the bat?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy Question-Do you take 3RBs straight off the bat?

Postby aussieboy » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:19 pm

If you got a mid range pick say like 6 or something and 3 RBs that you were quite high on fell to you in the first 3 rounds do you pounce or do you skip over one of them in order to draft for balance?

Would you rather say:

Steven Jackson (or another rb your high on)
Brian Westbrook (or another rb your high on)
Chester Taylor (or another rb your high on)

or do you go with:

Steven Jackson
Torry Holt
Chester Taylor or even Antonio Gates?

I think it's easy to say that you would take the 3RBs, however I think it could be a dangerous tactic this yr since there seems to be quite a drop off after the top tier of WRs. In start 3WR leagues I think it's almost a must to get one of the elite WR's. Taking the 3RBs maybe a safe option but what if you can't trade one later on for a WR? Is it worth having a good player on your bench over a possible star starting for you?

I'm interested to see the thoughts of what people think of this issue.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:28 pm

Depends on how the draft goes, really. If there's a run on WRs, I could see myself easily taking three RBs in the first three rounds... I try to get a WR in round two, though, but I go with the flow of the draft.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:29 pm

It depends who is left. If Holt was there in the 2nd and the other RBs that I have in the top 11 are all gone then I will definately take Holt or another similar WR and hope for Droughns, K. Jones, Jamal Lewis, or Chester to be there in the 3rd.

I really hate drafting from 5-7 this season. For me drafting from 8-10 (in 10 team leagues) is all about taking 2 RBs and drafting in position 1-4 is about RB-WR-WR because I think two top 8 WRs are better than the low 2nd tier of RBs that are left in that spot. I'ed rather gamble in 4-6 on some upside RBs.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Crimedogg32 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:32 pm

if Holts there you got to take him round 2 he is IMO the most sure fire stud WR out there right now and wouldnt let him slip by. That being said I usually draft 3 straight RBs especially with a flex.
Crimedogg32
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Vixtor » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Rarely would I take three straight backs but like everyone else said it depends. Personally I don't think there is much difference between the sort of production you can expect between the lower ring running backs this year. Recievers on the other hand are top heavy with a huge drop and I think you need to grab a stud.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:46 pm

You would have to hit on at least two reach WRs. That's a lot to ask. I'd probably advise agianst such a strategy. Take your stud RB and the best stud at in rnd 2 then a Rb or WR in the 3rd. Are you talking a 10 or 12 team league? Less risk in it if it's a 10 teamer.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Matthias » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Everyone is right. It completely depends on the flow of your particular draft. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem of ending up with 1RB, 1WR, and 1TE (well, only one) but would be equally satisfied with 3RB's, 2RB's and a QB, or 1RB & 2 WR's. It really just depends on who is available and where you think people are panicking and who they're going to grab on the wrap around.

So... is it ok to grab 3RB's? Yes. Do you have to? No. And that's about as specific as it gets.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:03 pm

if i can start 3 rbs as in a wr/rb flex spot. a lot of the time, yes i take the rb in the 3rd. makes for a fairly dominant team when you have 3 solid rbs that start every week. you can pick up wrs off waivers like galloway last year. someone will get hot as a wr. rbs are a staple. but if there is no flex, i doubt i do that.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Original_Geek » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Mannnnnn, I JUST got through posting in another thread that I hoped I had the fortitude to so stick to my plan of going RB/RB/ check WR in my draft next week. I draft 8th in a 12 team league. we start 1RB and 3 WR so now y'all got me thinking RB/Holt. Holt is my #1 ranked WR and I think I could get him on the wraparound...

so that's it. I have no fortitude. Probably why it took me 20 years to quit smoking. I haven't even made it offline since my original post and I've already waffled.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmwaffles...<drool>

big fat belgian waffles with great gobs of melting butter and rivers of maple syrup.....and bacon. and eggs over easy ...oh crap, I've done gone and excited myself....what were we talking about?
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:42 pm

I went

RB
WR
WR
RB
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator