Strategy Question-Do you take 3RBs straight off the bat? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy Question-Do you take 3RBs straight off the bat?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Original_Geek » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:45 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:I went

RB
WR
WR
RB

do tell...I mean, really - who'd ya get at what draft position and how many teams in the league...inquiring minds want to know....

;-D
OG - Original Geek
Word to your motherboard
Dallas Cowboys Fan Extraordinaire
May all your players get to play Oakland.
Original_Geek Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MotorCityKitties » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:32 pm

RB
WR
WR
RB

I did too. I had the second pick in a 10 teamer and I got:

LJ
Steve Smith
TO
Jamal Lewis

I also got Kevin Jones in rd 6. When my 2nd and 3rd picks came it was either SS and TO or guys like Dom Davis. It just seemed right to get 2 of the best WR's.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:42 pm

If you draft in the position where SJack is the pick (6-8) I think you should get him and westbrook if he is available in rd2. In rd 3 I would follow with one of the last few elite WR's available.

Option 2 would be Sjac then Holt/Smith/Owens/etc then follow up with Chester in Rd 3.

Both optios if all went well would leave you with 2 pretty solid RB's and an Elite WR.

This year I agree with what gnu314 said. 1-4 = RB, WR, WR. 5-10 = RB, RB, WR.

If I get a top 3 pick I'm going RB, WR, WR/RB (depending on the value left).
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:45 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:

RB
WR
WR
RB

I did too. I had the second pick in a 10 teamer and I got:

LJ
Steve Smith
TO
Jamal Lewis

I also got Kevin Jones in rd 6. When my 2nd and 3rd picks came it was either SS and TO or guys like Dom Davis. It just seemed right to get 2 of the best WR's.

I like the strategy you employed. Draft for value not position. If you get too wrapped up in position you end up stretching for some pos and regretting it later.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:56 pm

Original_Geek wrote:

RB
WR
WR
RB

do tell...I mean, really - who'd ya get at what draft position and how many teams in the league...inquiring minds want to know....

;-D

12 Team league

Portis
Holt
Boldin
J. Lewis

And in the 5th round I got Foster.
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer

Postby Retet » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:59 am

Unless you have a flex position, I just can't see spending a third round pick on a backup RB, no matter how "good" that backup player is or might be.

I usually plan for using the first five picks to fill my starting roster postions, then maybe worry about a backup RB in the 6th or, at the earliest, 5th round. Come game time, that good running back that you spent your 3rd round pick on is going to net you "0" points. And I expect more of my third rounders.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kev921 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:23 am

I too am looking at going at my first 3 picks with a RB (10 team league with 2 RB, 1 WR & 2 Flex). I am scheduled to pick 8th.

I believe that the RB is a safer choice due to more guaranteed touches. After the top 8 WR's, I do not see a WR being consistent each week with the number of catches and TD's.
kev921
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xted30 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:42 am

I think pretty much everyone is on target when they say to go with the flow. If my choices in the 2nd are Holt/TO/Chad/etc. vs. someone like KJ/JJ/Droughns/etc., give me the WR. But if it comes to someone like JLew/Westy when there are other servicable WR's, give me the RB. I have seen Boldin slip to the mid 3rd, which is great value when you consider he's a favorite of Warner and he posted almost identical numbers to Fitz last year.
xted30
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CT Smash » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:57 pm

I say you need to go WR in the 2nd round (unless one of the top 11 RB's are there for your second pick.) Otherwise, if you and others pick these low 2nd/third tier RB's in round 2, the guys who drafted 1-3 will get one or two stud WR's to team up with their LJ, SA, or LT. I certainly wouldn't want to face a team that has LJ, Smith, and TO like Cowboys 4 life posted.
CT Smash
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mrblitz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Without giving away my strategy, because I play against people here. I have tryed it , and sometimes it works and other it doesn't.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk