Drafting strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Drafting strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Drafting strategy

Postby sjphi26 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:37 am

I am still pretty new at this FF thing. I have played casually for 3 years, but this is only the 2nd season that I have taken it seriously, and I am about to draft for my first money league.

I want to run my strategy by you guys.

I am thinking of going this route

1 RB
2 RB
3 WR
4 WR
5 RB
6 TE
7 QB
8 Best available RB or WR
9 Same as above
10 "
11 "
12 "
13 Backup QB
14 Backup TE
15 D
16 K

-
-
-

Is this a good strategy? I feel like I might be putting myself in a box by following a strict outline, and miss out on some good picks. But having a plan makes me feel comfortable, and not so dumbfounded when it is my turn to pick.

Do I need to take a backup TE, or just hit the waivers on the bye week?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
sjphi26 Beginner
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:49 am

You don't need a strategy. Kicker and defense the last two rounds is generally a good idea. Backup tight end kind of depends on who your starter is. Usually not necessary. If it helps then go with the strategy but there are going to be situations where you pass up the best scenario due to following a specific pattern.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:13 am

I halfway agree with Vixtor. I feel it is good to have a set plan in mind, but you always have to allow for some flexibility. There is definitely going to be a moment where your plan says to take a RB, but the WR that falls to you is just too good to pass up. Keep your outline, but be able to alter it on the fly.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Twisted Sister » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:22 am

Be willing to mix it up based on the draft... but essentially, it seems like you have a good grasp on things.

I will get a backup TE if it's a good TE that can be trade bait later on. However, judging where you're drafting a TE... you might land a 2nd tier type guy (Heath Miller, Michmicheals, etc.). You're on the border.

Either draft a little early to get an elite TE, or move your backup TE pick much further up. If a Shockey/Heap/Gonzo/Crumpler is there for you in the 6th... go for it, if not, I'd wait.

A lot of owners overlook the importance of TEs... the fact is that they have made or broke a lot games for me. The absolute point total isn't high, but the VBD between my TE and the other teams TE can be quite high.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:22 am

I never have a set strategy going into the draft, but I do end up using one of the popular strategies for early rounds and employ some general techiniques for later rounds.

For instance, with a late pick, I may go RB/RB, RB/WR, or WR/WR - it all depends on what has happened before my pick and what I expect to happen later. From there, you have to understand the nuances of those strategies so that you don't make any mistakes later in the draft.

Also, I usually expect to wait on my starting QBs and TEs as long as possible. I would rather load up on middle round RBs and WRs and then play matchups at QB and TE than to get McNabb and Heap. I feel like you can effectively mimic the production of those 2nd tier QBs and TEs with picks from the 9th round on.

So I don't map out a specific round-by-round strategy before my draft starts, but I do make sure to understand how my mid- and late-round picks are impacted by what I did in the first few rounds.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk