First MNF game, are u ready for some Kornheiser? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

First MNF game, are u ready for some Kornheiser?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:54 pm

deacon wrote:
moochman wrote:I thought Kornheiser did okay. I do wonder if he has enough football depth. Not knowing what a silent count was? That is Milleresque ignorance. Still not bad to listen to, and I think he'll get better once he settles into the role.

Kornheiser has been a sportswriter for the Washington Post for 35 years. I'm pretty sure he knows what a silent count is all about. I think he is playing the role of the 'common folk connection'.

Other than some prepared material, what did he really say that contributed at all? I got the strange feeling that I was listening to someone who doesn't know football much, and may not care that much about the game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:02 pm

moochman wrote:
deacon wrote:
moochman wrote:I thought Kornheiser did okay. I do wonder if he has enough football depth. Not knowing what a silent count was? That is Milleresque ignorance. Still not bad to listen to, and I think he'll get better once he settles into the role.

Kornheiser has been a sportswriter for the Washington Post for 35 years. I'm pretty sure he knows what a silent count is all about. I think he is playing the role of the 'common folk connection'.

Other than some prepared material, what did he really say that contributed at all? I got the strange feeling that I was listening to someone who doesn't know football much, and may not care that much about the game.

I'f you've watched PTI, you'd know Tony knows football. Maybe he knows a sport or two better than football, but he's not ignorant of the game. I have to agree with others, it really seemed like he was trying not to be the expert.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 am

maddog60 wrote:
moochman wrote:
deacon wrote:

I'f you've watched PTI, you'd know Tony knows football. Maybe he knows a sport or two better than football, but he's not ignorant of the game. I have to agree with others, it really seemed like he was trying not to be the expert.

If that is the case then espn has made a big mistake. People want to watch the game and have inciteful input from the booth.
Not some psuedo-celebrity dumbing down the booth.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:41 am

Theisman is one of the worst announcers in all of sports. He walks the Hall of Horrible with the likes of Bill Walton and Joe Morgan. :-P I'm very hesitant about Tony, but I'm leaning towards him doing a good enough job to not get lambasted. :-b
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Theisman is one of the worst announcers in all of sports. He walks the Hall of Horrible with the likes of Bill Walton and Joe Morgan. :-P I'm very hesitant about Tony, but I'm leaning towards him doing a good enough job to not get lambasted. :-b

Hey, he's no Magic Johnson. I think Johnson might actually rank up there as the worst I've ever heard, next to Paul McGuire. I once heard Magic say the following statement...

"To win this game, it's critical that you score more points than the other team."

Duh! :-B
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:02 pm

I agree with you guys about Theisman. He thinks he knows what he's talking about even though he's just being an idiot.

"To win this game, it's critical that you score more points than the other team."

HAHA, that's classic. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DolphinsAllTheWay » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Theisman is one of the worst announcers in all of sports. He walks the Hall of Horrible with the likes of Bill Walton and Joe Morgan. :-P I'm very hesitant about Tony, but I'm leaning towards him doing a good enough job to not get lambasted. :-b

you crazy, Bill Walton is the best announcer..you gotta love his exaggerations and sarcasm

"that was the greatest play in the history of western civilization"
Patrick Surtain the best DB in the NFL.....period!
DolphinsAllTheWay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:21 am

DolphinsAllTheWay wrote:

you crazy, Bill Walton is the best announcer..you gotta love his exaggerations and sarcasm

"that was the greatest play in the history of western civilization"

Walton is by far my favorite sports analyst....My favorite is when a player shoots an airball and it lands in a teamates' hands by the basket for an easy hoop and Walton says, "NICE PASSING!!!"

:-b
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jnjtk555 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:21 pm

hey whats wrong with stuart scott, is it his style or just him...cuz i have to admit that i kinda like him on sportscenter voicing plays and mixing in r&b, hip hop or whatever else is "hot" at the present......peace
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Theisman was bashing almost everything Tony said last week. Other than that it was pretty good overall. I am looking forward to watching a bit of the game tonight!
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting