Lee Suggs traded to JETS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lee Suggs traded to JETS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Well I have Suggs now so hopefully he gets hurt.. because otherwise I may actually have a decent rb.
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moonhead » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The New York Jets got the running back help they needed Monday, acquiring Lee Suggs from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for defensive back Derrick Strait.

Strait
Suggs

With Curtis Martin on the physically-unable-to-perform list because of a lingering knee injury, the Jets were desperate to get another back on the roster. Derrick Blaylock and Cedric Houston were taking most of the plays at running back, but neither is the type of player who can shoulder the entire rushing load.

Martin's future is less certain. He underwent surgery on his right knee in December, and has yet to recover fully. He has yet to practice, and reports have said he has a "bone on bone" condition in his knee. But Martin continues to rehab, and said last week he wants to play this season.

Suggs hasn't been able to stay on the field for the Browns, who selected him in the fourth round of the 2003 draft. At various times in his pro career, Suggs has been sidelined by injuries to a shoulder, neck, toe, ankle and thumb.

The speedy 6-foot, 213-pounder appeared in only seven games as a rookie because of a shoulder injury he sustained at Virginia Tech. In his final game that season, he ran for 186 yards and two touchdowns.

Suggs won a starting job in training camp in 2004, but hurt his neck in the final preseason game and was inactive for the first three games of the regular season. He returned to play in seven games before missing three straight with a toe injury.

He finished '04 with 744 yards and two touchdowns.

Suggs hurt his ankle during the preseason last year and missed Cleveland's first two games. He dressed in Weeks 3 and 4 but injured his thumb and was inactive for six weeks.

Suggs has rushed for 1,048 yards and four TDs as a pro.

Strait was a third-round pick in 2004 but has been a backup in his two NFL seasons. During camp, he moved over to safety in the absence of Erik Coleman, out after an appendectomy. Strait had 31 tackles last season, but has yet to notch his first career interception.

"It's a great opportunity for Derrick," said his agent, Michael Lartigue. "They know what kind of player Derrick is. Lee Suggs is a great running back. It's a fresh start, change of scenery for both Derrick and Lee."

Strait will bring some immediate and needed depth at cornerback for the Browns.

Daylon McCutcheon recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and may not be back in time for the Sept. 10 season opener against New Orleans. Gary Baxter strained his left pectoral muscle on the first play from scrimmage Thursday in the preseason opener in Philadelphia and is expected to be out three to four weeks.

but suggs is? what has he shown? i don't understand this move.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:22 pm

Me either man..

I swore Blaylock ran the ball pretty well, and Cedric didn't do too bad last year.. but I guess the office needed something different
*I created this sig!
CrashOverrid3
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:32 pm

I think this is a very good deal for the Jets. Suggs could be a full-featured back if he can stay healthy. Granted, staying healthy is a big question mark with him but Strait is nothing but depth. Seems like a small price to pay for Suggs' potential.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PurpleHaze » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 pm

Derrick Blaylock ;-D
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tomkatt » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think this is a very good deal for the Jets. Suggs could be a full-featured back if he can stay healthy. Granted, staying healthy is a big question mark with him but Strait is nothing but depth. Seems like a small price to pay for Suggs' potential.

Well said, exactly the way I see it.
"Sometime during the Pats game last week, I decided that Tomlinson was the best overall running back of my lifetime. There's nothing he can't do: deadly receiver, tough inside runner, explosive to the outside, you name it." - ESPN's Bill Simmons
tomkatt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think this is a very good deal for the Jets. Suggs could be a full-featured back if he can stay healthy. Granted, staying healthy is a big question mark with him but Strait is nothing but depth. Seems like a small price to pay for Suggs' potential.

I'm also sure the Browns were happy to get rid of Suggs' injury headaches in exchange for someone who could fill in for McCutcheon until he comes back.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Looking at this from a standpoint concerning Browns running back depth, this move really doesn't effect Droughns' value. But it certainly effects the backups. At this point I'm starting to wonder if Jerome Harrison, who has impressed in camp and scored a receiving TD in the preseason game, is the new backup to Droughns. Or does William Green still have any backup value in a deep league?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:51 pm

SWEET NEWS! ....Just picked up Suggs in my league. Hopefully he is the starter, which I think he'll be.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vixtor » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:07 pm

I doubt Suggs would end up starting anytime soon for the Jets. How is he any better than Blalock or Houston?
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk