Lee Suggs traded to JETS - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lee Suggs traded to JETS

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:12 pm

Vixtor wrote:I doubt Suggs would end up starting anytime soon for the Jets. How is he any better than Blalock or Houston?

If they don't see him better then why trade for him this late? It tells me that they are not fully happy with their RB situation, this kinda wouldn't make much sense if they don't see him starting. Just a thought.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:19 pm

mystykoekaki wrote:If they don't see him better then why trade for him this late? It tells me that they are not fully happy with their RB situation, this kinda wouldn't make much sense if they don't see him starting. Just a thought.

They could just be making a move for depth. It's not like Suggs is costing them a whole lot of money and I can't imagine they had to give away much of anything to get him either. Best case scenario I see Suggs getting 850 yards and 4 touchdowns.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bigGAME101 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:20 pm

I have always like Suggs, and when he has been in good health he has truly been an outstanding runningback. Those who say he sucks have clearly not watched him play. Having said all that, his value depends completely on his ability to stay healthy. He has had knee and ankle injuries, to go along with a severe neck stinger. It just seems like this guy has an uncanny propensity for injury. The only thing fantasy owners can hope for is a reversal of luck and for karma to take its place. Perhaps the most encouraging thing in all this is the fact that the Jets must think he is healthy enough and has the skills/talent to be a difference maker for their offense. As stated before, it is unlikely the Jets are trading for depth...they already have that. What they really want is someone who can challenge for the starting RB position, and help rejuvenate an unspectacular offense. He has the talent, but does he have the durability?

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Vixtor wrote:I doubt Suggs would end up starting anytime soon for the Jets. How is he any better than Blalock or Houston?

He is better than Blaylock or Houston if you ignore the injury concerns. Both of those guys are roll-players. Putting them in the game limits what plays you can run, and opposing defensive coordinators can key off of the personnel to make their play calls.

Suggs can do everything you need a RB to do, and he can do it well. That's the only reason he has stayed in the league as long as he has. If he can stay healthy, he can really help the Jets out this year. I had concerns that he would steal carries from Droughns this year if he could stay healthy.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:21 pm

OK, so with Martin, Suggs, Houston, Blaylock, and Washington on the roster, who gets cut?

The obvious answer is Martin, but if he decides not to retire, can the Jets really cut the guy?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:OK, so with Martin, Suggs, Houston, Blaylock, and Washington on the roster, who gets cut?

The obvious answer is Martin, but if he decides not to retire, can the Jets really cut the guy?

How do the PUP rules work? Is there some kind of injury designation they can give Martin that won't cut him but also won't count against their 53 man roster?
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:26 pm

When you're worried about the health of your backfield, trading for an oft injured RB makes no sense.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm

maddog60 wrote:When you're worried about the health of your backfield, trading for an oft injured RB makes no sense.

werd :-t
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm

It's almost irrelevant, or arbitrary, who gets the job, if not Martin. If the offense is clicking, the Jets starting running back wll be effective. If not, he'll struggle.

I'm not sure Blaylock is JUST a role player. For his 118 carries in '04, for KC, he had great value in rushing for over 500 yards and 8 TDs. I don't mean fantasy value; I mean he gave every indication he could step up and produce in a starting role, which he's never yet been given.

And isn't Houston still too young, unproven, to be called a "role player?" Granted, that's what they're calling him -- I just think it could be premature.

So I don't see Suggs as a solution. But the fact that he's one more guy who could fill the role in the event of an injury is encouraging. Hopefully one of these guys can make something happen for the Jets. But again, it really depends more on the offense as a whole than on any one of them.

Bottom line for fantasy football: I wouldn't draft any of the four Jets backs at this point (Martin, Blaylock, Houston, or Suggs), because if you were going to draft one you'd have to flip a coin to decide which one. And even then it may be a RBBC, at least for the first part of the year.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Gotta agree with Wes Walker here. I am disappointed that the trade happened so soon. I was looking forward to seeing Suggs show of his speed and power against the Lions Friday. If he could just stay healthy he would make a great feature back. If only...

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk