Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts...

Postby bellings » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:10 am

1. It's nice to see people picking on Funston. Makes me feel at home. ;-D

2. Holy cow RB's are important. I looked at the mock draft at they took up the whole first round.

3. I may get egged for this comment, but it is unfortunate that fantasy football doesn't have a ROTO type scoring. Watching all of those RB's get taken early reminds me of some of the points leagues in fantasy baseball. Closers will get all grabbed up in the first couple rounds because of their points from saves. In ROTO, however, this will cause you to only win 1 category, and your team will suck.

3b. Does it bother anyone that this "points" scoring causes fantasy not to reflect reality? Does anyone think that 21 players in the NFL are worth more than Peyton in real life? Is Chester Taylor the 30th best player?

Just some thoughts. Please be nice. Any non-traditional pointers for this newbie would be nice.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts...

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 am

1. Most of the guys here think Funston knows just as much if not less than they do...so that's why he gets the ribbing. He's just trying to cater to the "average" player (knows a little bit about drafting but still would reach to get players they like regardless of fantasy value).

2. RB's are important because they are scarce. Same principle in fantasy baseball with the steal guys or stud hitters at a weak position. Like Chone Figgins would ever be picked in the 2nd round of a draft if he didn't steal 55 bases a year... ;-7 Yes, this year the first 12-14 picks really should be RB's because there are so few unquestioned backs that people feel will perform well.

3. I'm sure you can find total points fantasy football leagues, but I don't like roto for fantasy football. H2H mimics the game of football the best...you only have a few scant chances to win because there are only 16 games, so you have to make them all count each week by playing the guys you feel will score the most points. Even with roto football scoring, I don't think drafting patterns would change that much. RB's still get the most rushing yards and can get quite a bit of receiving yards as well. No WR is going to run for 500 rush yards and get 1500 receiving yards...and no QB will do it either. :-/

3b. As I said before, the scoring is the closest we can get to the real game as possible. As far as fantasy drafting goes, you can pick Manning really high and do well, but it normally would require the others in your league to have no clue and allow you to get top RB's and WR's at the same time. Value drafting attempts to maximize your scoring, and scarcity dictates RB's go before top QB's.

Once again back to baseball...is Jose Reyes really the 25th best player or Podsednik the 60th best player? No; they're only picked there because they steal a ton and score a lot of runs. David Ortiz went about 6th this year in fantasy drafts...but a lot of people would argue that he was the MVP of the league last year, so shouldn't he have been picked 2nd behind Pujols? He wasn't because he only helps in 4 catgories whereas players like A-Rod or Vlad have the ability to help you in all 5 categories.

So in actuality, fantasy football is a little bit like fantasy baseball, but since baseball has such a long season, roto is the best way to determine which team is best over the long haul. With a relatively short 16 game schedule for football, H2H scoring shows which team was best the most times each week and who had the better team during the one "big game" where it's all on the line.

Hopefully I didn't step on your toes too badly there, we even welcome "dark siders" here every chance we get. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bellings » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:39 am

No, you didn't step on my toes. Thanks for letting a dark-sider come by.

I see your point. I suppose that stolen bases are a necessary evil. Overwise, instead of overvalueing a couple players, a very large number of players would be undervalued. I think that it would be easy to prove that FB is more in line with reality than FF simply be matching up fantasy rankings with real-life rankings, but or couse, there will never be a perfect system.

It's unfortunately that there is no good way to quantify how individual defensive players and blocking players contribute to the team, so they aren't worth anything in FF.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mysticphysh » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:59 am

What's baseball? :-?
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 am

bellings wrote:No, you didn't step on my toes. Thanks for letting a dark-sider come by.

I see your point. I suppose that stolen bases are a necessary evil. Overwise, instead of overvalueing a couple players, a very large number of players would be undervalued. I think that it would be easy to prove that FB is more in line with reality than FF simply be matching up fantasy rankings with real-life rankings, but or couse, there will never be a perfect system.

It's unfortunately that there is no good way to quantify how individual defensive players and blocking players contribute to the team, so they aren't worth anything in FF.

IDP's are an integral part of some leagues. Sacks and tackles are just 2 of the qualifying stats that play into their drafting position. Same with defensive backs and interceptions. I personally like playing in leagues with IDP's because it adds another challenge to your drafting strategy without taking away from your offensive catagories.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:12 am

mysticphysh wrote:What's baseball? :-?

The Media calls it America's Past Time....
Kingctb27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:13 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:What's baseball? :-?

The Media calls it America's Past Time....

key word "past"
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JeRmZ » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:41 pm

I label it .... America's WASTE of Time!

no offesense to you Baseball Fan's out there!
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm

Ahhhhh....... baseball, 15 minutes of action crammed into 3 hours! ;-) :-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Mugrila » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:32 pm

1. I agree completely. :-D
2. RBs seem to compare to CFs and RFs in baseball leagues where they split the OF positions. There are a few guys that can put up huge numbers for your team but there is a large dropoff in production after a certain point.
3. I play H2H in baseball anyway so I like having FF be H2H. ;-)
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk