Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hi guys. Baseball cafe guy here. Some thoughts...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:36 pm

bellings wrote:No, you didn't step on my toes. Thanks for letting a dark-sider come by.

I see your point. I suppose that stolen bases are a necessary evil. Overwise, instead of overvalueing a couple players, a very large number of players would be undervalued. I think that it would be easy to prove that FB is more in line with reality than FF simply be matching up fantasy rankings with real-life rankings, but or couse, there will never be a perfect system.

It's unfortunately that there is no good way to quantify how individual defensive players and blocking players contribute to the team, so they aren't worth anything in FF.

The major advantage FF has over FB is that something like 88% of American males watch football religiously... In this day and age the majority of Americans couldn't care less about baseball until the World Series or some sort of record chase... Consequently, FF is a hobby that most people can pick up and succeed at with relative ease, whereas FB is something that relatively few people have the knowledge base to compete in... It's also easier to play FF because 90% of your games are played on (1) day a week, whereas with baseball, you'd be hard pressed to see your players in action every game they play...

As far as falling in line with reality, I don't really see where that has much bearing... I don't know too many people that participate in either hobby, because it's just so damn real... Save that for video-gamers....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CT Smash » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:15 pm

bellings, besides RB's being rather scarce (like closers), the good ones carry the ball upwards to 30 times a game, can catch 5-7 balls, rush for 100 yds, and score a TD or two each game. Thus, comparing them to a closer who needs to record 3 outs (or sometimes only one) is a bit off base. Think of them more as the 5-tool players in MLB, and that each team must start two.

I think the QB can be better compared to the closer. Sure, you can draft the Mariano's of the world early (Manning) but can also wait to draft the Jenks/ Todd Jones, etc. and get similar results.
CT Smash
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk