5th pick in a ten teamer(redraft) with Portis' injury - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

5th pick in a ten teamer(redraft) with Portis' injury

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:33 pm

I understand the risk/reward, but to just say "he's going to be fine" or "he's a gamer" and draft him at 4 like you were going to last week, I think is being very...optimistic.

I feel the same way. I believe he will be back for week 1 but what happens when he gets hit in that shoulder and misses a few games or worse needs surgery.

A close friend of mine suggested taking Manning at #5 but our league starts 3 Rbs so picking a RB in the first round is a must.

I'd like to see edge show something that could possibly influence me to pick him before I draft. (By the way, the draft is next Sat not this Sat so I have another round of preseason games to watch.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:44 pm

BALCOBOMBER wrote:I understand the risk/reward, but to just say "he's going to be fine" or "he's a gamer" and draft him at 4 like you were going to last week, I think is being very...optimistic.

I feel the same way. I believe he will be back for week 1 but what happens when he gets hit in that shoulder and misses a few games or worse needs surgery.

A close friend of mine suggested taking Manning at #5 but our league starts 3 Rbs so picking a RB in the first round is a must.

I'd like to see edge show something that could possibly influence me to pick him before I draft. (By the way, the draft is next Sat not this Sat so I have another round of preseason games to watch.

Personally I think you're looking at the responses in the wrong light. If this many people think Portis will be good to go by week 1 and the general feeling in your league is that a completely healthy no-shoulder-problems Portis is worth the 5th overall pick I think you have to pick him.

Not because of his value, but his perceived value. For example, maybe you want to take Steven Jackson. Why not pick him and try trading him for Steven Jackson plus some WR or something?

Better yet, sit on him a while. Once the regular season approaches and he's listed as healthy (because the Redskins aren't going to say otherwise) there will be plenty of trade offers coming your way if you say you're willing to deal him.

It's the value of the Portis pick, not the actual 5th overall pick, that is worth going with.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk