N.O. RB situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

N.O. RB situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:49 pm

Too bad the Saints' RBBC won't matter much, their D (or lack thereof) will keep them in constant shootouts.

Seriously though, I like Bush. If Deuce never had that knee injury, I'd put him above, but he'll never be the same back again. I see Deuce having 1-2 solid games, but Bush will end up being the main focus for New Orleans. I see his third round value as about where he should be.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mikus » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Philly Pride wrote:Too bad the Saints' RBBC won't matter much, their D (or lack thereof) will keep them in constant shootouts.

And that is precisely why Bush should have a better fantasy season than Deuce ... b/c he can come out and play WR too.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Cupertino_11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm

If Deuce can shoulder the load, compare the Saints backfield to Denver's last year. Two nice options but nothing consistent. I'd rather go for McGahee, Jamal, or KJ in the second before Bush. He'd make a sweet #3 back though.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 pm

Philly Pride wrote:Too bad the Saints' RBBC won't matter much, their D (or lack thereof) will keep them in constant shootouts.

Seriously though, I like Bush. If Deuce never had that knee injury, I'd put him above, but he'll never be the same back again. I see Deuce having 1-2 solid games, but Bush will end up being the main focus for New Orleans. I see his third round value as about where he should be.

Yeah, because guys can't ever come back from knee injuries and be productive. These days knee injuries are like a bad cold. It takes awhile to get over, but when it's gone you are right as rain. I'm not saying Deuce will be the force he was, but that's really ONLY because they drafted Reggie. Deuce has a nice fat contract himself, and after a few weeks will prove to be a dominant player again. This only hurts FF players, as it will totally help the Saints having two talented backs at their disposal.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby petedog9 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 pm

Completely agree sixxgunn.....

Freebagel... His 22 touches were NOT all rushes. In fact about 1/3 of them were receptions, which is a completely different ballgame. We are also talking about basically the PAC 10 vs the NFL. Again Apples and oranges. When I see the day when he is getting 25+ rush attempts a game and staying healthy then I will say I am wrong. He is the ultimate 3rd down back who can split out of the back field into the slot and create mismatches. But shouldering the load of a RB in the NFL for him is still a bit of a question.

I am not doubting this kids ability in the least but to think that New Orleans will all of the sudden kick Deuce to the curb (as long as he is healthy) is completely absurd. In fact I think the presence of Bush splitting out to the slot may help Deuce in the run game as a the safety cannot sit in the box to shut down Deuce. Instead there are two defenders worrying about Bush. I see both of them being used extensively in the New Orleans offense. Bottom line is Deuce will still get his share. Everyone is super hyped on this kid and somebody is going to overpay for him on draft day.
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vixtor » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:38 am

petedog9 wrote:We are also talking about basically the PAC 10 vs the NFL. Again Apples and oranges. When I see the day when he is getting 25+ rush attempts a game and staying healthy then I will say I am wrong.

First, the PAC 10 versus NFL argument is ridiculous. Following this iditoic logic there must not be any great players that have come out of of college because the competition is such much greater. It's such a bad argument that you should never bring it up again, ever.

Next, no one in the NFL averages 25+ carries a game. That would be more than more than 400. On top of that no one is claiming that bush will even get more than 300 like Alexander, LJ, Edge, Tiki, Portis and Tomlinson. So... what are you trying to say again?
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:21 am

I think Bush is going a little high (2nd round in my recent draft - I reluctantly took Duece in the 9th round).

If Duece gets hurt (a distinct possibility) then yeah, Bush has a big year. I can't use a 2nd rounder on the hope of an njury.

If they split touches for the majority of the year, I'd be surprised if Bush hit the 8 TD mark and got 1000 yards rushing. I doubt he gets many goal line carries. I don't think he is going to be that effective as a receiving threat in the red zone, and without the easy goal line TD's, he'll be pressed to hit paydirt on a regular basis.

To me, there are many safer picks in the 2nd round, even the 3rd. I'm not on the bandwagon this year.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:37 am

petedog9 wrote:Completely agree sixxgunn.....

Freebagel... His 22 touches were NOT all rushes. In fact about 1/3 of them were receptions, which is a completely different ballgame. We are also talking about basically the PAC 10 vs the NFL. Again Apples and oranges. When I see the day when he is getting 25+ rush attempts a game and staying healthy then I will say I am wrong. He is the ultimate 3rd down back who can split out of the back field into the slot and create mismatches. But shouldering the load of a RB in the NFL for him is still a bit of a question.

I am not doubting this kids ability in the least but to think that New Orleans will all of the sudden kick Deuce to the curb (as long as he is healthy) is completely absurd. In fact I think the presence of Bush splitting out to the slot may help Deuce in the run game as a the safety cannot sit in the box to shut down Deuce. Instead there are two defenders worrying about Bush. I see both of them being used extensively in the New Orleans offense. Bottom line is Deuce will still get his share. Everyone is super hyped on this kid and somebody is going to overpay for him on draft day.

That's just it though, Bush doesn't need anywhere near 25+ touches per game to be a top FF RB. The touches/carry argument is moot because in the example I was using (Marshall) the same thing can be said. If Bush gets 22 touches a game with 1/3 of them being receptions he will be a top FF RB.

Oh, and as for the competition let's not forget who Marshall and LT were playing in college. It's tough to get worse than the PAC10 for defense, but I think Conference USA might just pull that off.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk