Auction League Newbie - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Auction League Newbie

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction League Newbie

Postby camposA » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:57 pm

Hey guys, im doing my first auction style league this year and i was wondering if you had any suggestions as to strategies you have used in the past. i.e when to put players you specifically want up for auction, spend early/spend late, etc etc

thanks guys
camposA
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:05 pm

Here's an article for you.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/articles/auction_strategy.cfm

General strategy is the following:
(1) Don't overspend. Set your valuations for your players and don't exceed it.
(2) Early, nominate players you DON'T want to drive up their prices when people have $$ to drain everyone else so you can later buy the players you do.
(3) Don't overspend.
(4) Don't wait on the sidelines for "bargains" at the end of the draft. There's a decent chance that everyone else is doing the same and so will end up splurging on the few blue chippers that remain. The best values are in the second or third rounds of player nominations.
(5) Don't overspend. Did I mention this one yet?
(6) Keep track of the other player's needs and remaining $$'s so you know who has money to go after the QB you need and who needs another WR but is really tight.
(7) Don't be afraid to sit on the sidelines. If the price isn't right, it isn't right. Don't worry. Your players will come around.

And have fun with it. Good luck!
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby camposA » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:27 pm

thanks a ton. this has been helpful!
camposA
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Kellys Heroes » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Here's an article for you.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/articles/auction_strategy.cfm
I added in a little

General strategy is the following:
(1) Don't overspend. Set your valuations for your players and don't exceed it.
Sometimes you have to... I did a mock where the top 10 RBs were $10 over there AAV; you have to go w/ the flow sometimes. You need at least one of them.

(2) Early, nominate players you DON'T want to drive up their prices when people have $$ to drain everyone else so you can later buy the players you do.
Not always true either... Get the feel of the draft. Sometimes you can sneak away w/ an top 10 rb for a couple bucks cheaper than normal if you nominate them at the right time. And go for the middle of the pack.. If you wait for #10, you will get in a bidding war.

(3) Don't overspend.
Again, sometimes you have too, you don't want an entire team of mid-rounders

(4) Don't wait on the sidelines for "bargains" at the end of the draft. There's a decent chance that everyone else is doing the same and so will end up splurging on the few blue chippers that remain. The best values are in the second or third rounds of player nominations.
Very true; its good to save your money at the end.. then you can pick up the scrap talent that everyone else forgot about.

(5) Don't overspend. Did I mention this one yet?
Alright already; the kid isn't going to spend anything..

(6) Keep track of the other player's needs and remaining $$'s so you know who has money to go after the QB you need and who needs another WR but is really tight.
Yes, know your enemy.. If they are low on qb and have the $$; make them.. Jack that bid up.

(7) Don't be afraid to sit on the sidelines. If the price isn't right, it isn't right. Don't worry. Your players will come around.
No they won't.. Again; sometimes you have to spend an little extra.. I've done too many auction where I was left w/ too much $$ at the end and a team full of mid-rounders to show for it..

And have fun with it. Good luck
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby suppasonic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:16 pm

No, dont go with the trends.

If RBs are going very expensive, 10 bucks over your listed value, then buy hard the top WRs, who will be going cheap.

Spend 75% of your allowance on your two RB and 3 WR, as you can get good 1 dollar TE, K, DEF, and QB.

Save enough money for one decent bench RB (10 dollars in a 200 dollar league), and fill the rest with cheap guys like Mike Clayton, Matt Jones, Mike Bell, etc.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 am

suppasonic wrote:No, dont go with the trends.

If RBs are going very expensive, 10 bucks over your listed value, then buy hard the top WRs, who will be going cheap.

Spend 75% of your allowance on your two RB and 3 WR, as you can get good 1 dollar TE, K, DEF, and QB.

Save enough money for one decent bench RB (10 dollars in a 200 dollar league), and fill the rest with cheap guys like Mike Clayton, Matt Jones, Mike Bell, etc.

this helps me a lot, thank you suppa, i am very new to auctions and doing my first on sat. my plan is to go with studs but never overspend on any. i know that i am in a draft with all people that have only done this once with exception for one veteran to auctions and trying to get in as much info as possbile. i was thinking about doing 75% on 2 rbs and a wr but i think that would leave me with too weak of a team, what do you guys think?
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:28 am

Plindsey posted this in the other auction thread on this page:

Plindsey88 wrote:Assuming standard roster size, starting positions, and scoring, I break it down like this:

QB1 - 3%
RB1 - 30%
RB2 - 20%
WR1 - 15%
WR2 - 8%
WR3 - 5%
TE - 3%
K - 1%
DEF - 1%

RB3 - 8%
BN - 1%
BN - 1%
BN - 1%
BN - 1%
BN - 1%
BN - 1%

I've never done a football auction before, only baseball. So I can't speak to what the "correct" percentages are. Except in the theoretical sense. Essentially, you should figure out a dollar value for each Value Over Replacement Player (VORP). If you don't know VORP, google it or search for it on here. You'll find it useful both in auctions as well as regular drafts.

Once you have everybody's VORP number, you could sum it up over all the players that will be purchased in the auction. Then divide by the total money in the auction. And that gives you how much each point of VORP is worth. Does that make sense?

As a simple example, say you're bidding against one other person and you each have $50. You need to get one RB, one QB, and one TE each. And the VORP for each player is:

RB1: 150
RB2: 100

QB1: 80
QB2: 40

TE1: 100
TE2: 30

So you have 500 points of VORP for $100 in auction money (your $50 plus his). So each point of VORP becomes worth $0.20 ($100 divided by 500 points of VORP). So then the player values would be:

RB1: $30 ($0.20 per VORP * 150 VORP)
RB2: $20 (etc.)

QB1: $16
QB2: $8

TE1: $20
TE2: $6

This is kind of a bad example since to have any VORP, the second player (RB, QB, TE) would have to be compared to a third one that would be being bid on, but you get the idea in a general sense. And that's how you (should, at least) correctly price players. That said, Plindsey is a knowledgable guy and if you just want to use his %ages, go ahead. Definitely much simpler. But this would be how you would come up with your own.

So the reason I said not to overspend is that if you overspend on a player, then you're paying more than their VORP is worth. And are going to have to accept lower VORP later. It is good to have a stud or two for trade bait but the way you really win an auction is by paying less than what you think you should for your entire team. Because then you'll capture the highest VORP. And there's always injuries and off years that you can't control for. But at least you'll know that at the start of the season you did the best you could.

Best of luck. Auctions rock.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 am

It looks like you already got some good advice. The great thing about auctions is, you can get anyone you want. If you have to have Larry Johnson, you can have him, you'll have to pay for him, but you can have him. The biggest thing I'd say is to not overspend. Stick to your value sheet. I try to go with bargains throughout the entire auction process. That is sometimes tough to do though. What looks to be a bargain at the time, might turn out to be less of a bargain later on.

There are always guys saying "man why did I spend $10 on M Clayton, when I could have had D Mason for $6".

Definitely keep track of everyone else's team and money situation. That is a big help. Also once you've spent some money, when it's your turn to nominate someone, nominate the best player available that will command the most money. This is to make the other teams spend their money quicker. And be careful when you try to "bid someone up", cuz you may end up with that player. And don't nominate anyone for more than the minimum allowed. You'd be surprised how many times someone over bids on a player that no one wants. You can lose a lot of money doing that. And towards the end of the auction, be careful who you nominate, cuz they are yours for that price until someone outbids you.

Good luck to ya.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk