willie parker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

willie parker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:47 am

Matthias wrote:i loved fwp last year and i love him this year.

he's a cowher style of runner. he's fast but can also but between the tackles for the hard 4 yards. and it is a rush-oriented offense. and he has been taking the goalline reps. personally, i don't see how there's two rounds of guys better than him.

Did you watch many steeler games? The dude is horrid between the tackles. He stutters steps and hesitates looking for a hole before running into the back of his o-linemen for no gain. :-[
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Keyser_WV » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:05 am

mysticphysh wrote:

he's a cowher style of runner. he's fast but can also but between the tackles for the hard 4 yards. and it is a rush-oriented offense. and he has been taking the goalline reps. personally, i don't see how there's two rounds of guys better than him.

Did you watch many steeler games? The dude is horrid between the tackles. He stutters steps and hesitates looking for a hole before running into the back of his o-linemen for no gain. :-[

I agree somewhat but don't forget it was his first year starting and most young rb's have trouble being patient and hitting the holes inside.

I am anxious to see how Parker does this year. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he is young and should improve.

I'm not saying your wrong but I do think it is to early to label him as a guy that can't run between the tackles.

Warrick Dunn is a good inside runner and Parker is bigger than him so I don't think it is out of the question for him to improve in this area.

After this year I think we will have a pretty good idea what type of all around skills he has.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:57 am

Keyser_WV wrote:
mysticphysh wrote:

I agree somewhat but don't forget it was his first year starting and most young rb's have trouble being patient and hitting the holes inside.

I am anxious to see how Parker does this year. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he is young and should improve.

I'm not saying your wrong but I do think it is to early to label him as a guy that can't run between the tackles.

Warrick Dunn is a good inside runner and Parker is bigger than him so I don't think it is out of the question for him to improve in this area.

After this year I think we will have a pretty good idea what type of all around skills he has.

I'm not saying he won't improve, I'm just saying he has yet to prove he can run between the tackles and the guy's comment indicated that he was good at it. I was just clarifing things :-b
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Azrael » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Parker's scores will have to come from long range, limiting them under 10 I think but he should have a very good year yardage wise.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Wooters » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:48 pm

Parker is good value in the 3rd round but I would temper your expectations for 1200+ yards. I highly highly doubt that will happen.

Take a look at the game log from last year:

Game/Yards

1/161 TD (Tenn)
2/111 TD (Hou)
3/55 (NE)
4/26 (SD)
5/55 (JAX)
6/131 TD (Cin)
7/63 (Balt)
8/13 (got hurt)
9/DNP- hurt
10/59 (Balt)
11/43 (Ind)
12/71 (Cin)
13/68 (Chi)
14/81 (Min)
15/130 TD (Cle)
16/135 (Det)

He had only 5 games over 81 yards. 4 of those 5 games came against horrible defenses (Tenn/Hou/Cle/Det). The other game against Cincy he was lucky to break a 73 yard run for a TD. He also only had 4 TD's. Coincidence that all his TD's were in the games he ran for more than 100 yards and were from 40+ yards out?

Looking at the Pittsburgh schedule this year it is much tougher, especially in the playoffs (as someone else eluded to).

I would look for 900-1000 yards and 4-5 TD's this year with Staley stealing all teh goal line carries. However Parker is a great late 3rd round value RB. Personally I would rather have Chestor Taylor if given the option.
Wooters
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Wooters wrote:Coincidence that all his TD's were in the games he ran for more than 100 yards and were from 40+ yards out?

Coincidence? Absolutely not. Whenever they got inside the 10, they put in the Bus. The Bus scored 9 TD's last year. But the Bus is parked in the garage and the report from camp is that FWP is taking those snaps nowadays.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wooters » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:56 pm

So you think that FWP will get the goal line carries? You think that the Steelers would risk injury to their only legit RB by running into a defensive line for 1 or 2 yards, when they have 2 bruisers (Staley/Haynes) behind him?
Wooters
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:15 pm

actually thats exactly what they are doing. Cower's said it repeatedly this pre-season.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cooner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 pm

haynes isn't exactly a "bruiser"... he's a great 3rd down back, but he's not a "pound it in there and get the hard yardage" kinda guy.

Duce may be... if he has any legs to run on.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sizzer55 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:55 am

all i've heard cowher say is that the goal line job is open and everyone will get a shot at it, even willie. this leads me to think that willie wont get the job but the coach doesn't want to say that the player doesn't even have a chance at it. especially after willie was lobbying for the role. have i missed something? is willie now the goal line guy? i hope he is but i don't think he is/will be. someone please prove me wrong.
sizzer55
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk