willie parker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

willie parker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Willie Parker is one of the steals of any draft..Point Blank!

Everyone seems to think they have it all figured out when it comes to Willie Parker...
(Can I borrow your Crystal Ball?)

First off, Willie was basically a rookie last season...
(only 32 carries in '04 his first year)

Second, Jerome Bettis was on the team...

Third, if the Steelers were in the slight bit worried about Willie Parker being the man all year, why didn't they draft one of the many stud RB's available in this years draft?

Willie Parker ran for 1200+ yards LAST year, with Jerome Bettis, AND Duece Staley, AND Verron Haynes on the team...

Now Bettis is gone, and Deuce probably won't even be with the team come Sept.1st (Thats a whole other topic) Even if Deuce was on the team, he isn't young, or the picture of health, and won't be a factor...

Cowher has stated many times over the preseason, Willie Parker will get the ball inside the 20 this year, yet no one listens...

All these "So-Called" experts claim that Willie Parker isn't a top tier "Fantasy" RB this year.. Yet, he is on one of the best running teams in football, and gained 1200+ yards last year, with Jerome Bettis, and Company on the team...Now has the job all to himself..(Or Pittsburgh would have drafted a RB..BET THAT)

My prediction:

300+ Carries.. 1400+ yards, with 35 Rec. 400+ yards recieving, and 8-11 TD's... Which will make Willie Parker a top 10 RB easily!

Where Willie Parker is being drafted....
I would say he is one of the best values in any draft! ;-D
Sig courtesy of chargersfan36!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:30 am

FWP = Dunn

Why spend a 3rd rounder on FWP when I could get Dunn in the 4th and a Palmer or Chambers type player in the 3rd. :-?
Last edited by Twisted Sister on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:40 am

Very little is being said about Cedric Humes... A guy that, after LenDale White, was perhaps the best goal line back available in the '06 draft, and was drafted by Pittsburgh....

RB Coach Dick Hoak had this to say about Humes on July 25th:

"He is very effective once you get down in the red zone. He is a powerful back. He can catch the ball. He is not a burner. He doesn't have Willie Parker speed, but he breaks tackles and makes yards after contact. He is a good, solid player. Yes, he'll move the pile. He makes yards after contact. You get him down in the red zone and he doesn't have to run that far. He has been really productive on the goal line for them and if things work out like they did with Jerome (Bettis) last year, he may be the guy to fill that role."

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:08 pm

PurpleHaze wrote:Willie Parker is one of the steals of any draft..Point Blank!

Everyone seems to think they have it all figured out when it comes to Willie Parker...

Third, if the Steelers were in the slight bit worried about Willie Parker being the man all year, why didn't they draft one of the many stud RB's available in this years draft?

Willie Parker ran for 1200+ yards LAST year, with Jerome Bettis, AND Duece Staley, AND Verron Haynes on the team...

Now Bettis is gone, and Deuce probably won't even be with the team come Sept.1st (Thats a whole other topic) Even if Deuce was on the team, he isn't young, or the picture of health, and won't be a factor...

Cowher has stated many times over the preseason, Willie Parker will get the ball inside the 20 this year, yet no one listens...

All these "So-Called" experts claim that Willie Parker isn't a top tier "Fantasy" RB this year.. Yet, he is on one of the best running teams in football, and gained 1200+ yards last year, with Jerome Bettis, and Company on the team...Now has the job all to himself..(Or Pittsburgh would have drafted a RB..BET THAT)

My prediction:

300+ Carries.. 1400+ yards, with 35 Rec. 400+ yards recieving, and 8-11 TD's... Which will make Willie Parker a top 10 RB easily!

[b]

Actually your crystal ball is better. It apparently takes lower tier RBs and makes them almost as valuable as LaDainian Tomlinson. 1400 yds is a bit optimistic I think, as well 11 TDs. I would put him closer to Thomas Jones numbers. Around 1400-1550 TOTAL yards and 6-8 TDS. Still not bad, but not as good as some seem to think.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby awwchrist » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:42 pm

You're obviously forgetting Cedric Humes in the 7th round. ;-)

I think 2 wideouts in the first three rounds dictated what their conceived needs were for the draft. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are absolutely banking on Parker for the future.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gablefan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Humes has been taking alot of heat from Cowher For running lateraly rather than moving the ball North South. Just my two cents on that.

I too think Willie will have a batter year this year. not to the extent of the other guy, but a better year.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:29 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:Willie Parker is one of the steals of any draft..Point Blank!

My prediction:

[b]

Actually your crystal ball is better. It apparently takes lower tier RBs and makes them almost as valuable as LaDainian Tomlinson. 1400 yds is a bit optimistic I think, as well 11 TDs. I would put him closer to Thomas Jones numbers. Around 1400-1550 TOTAL yards and 6-8 TDS. Still not bad, but not as good as some seem to think.

Last years numbers compared to my predictions:

'05: 255 attempts 1202 yards
My prediction: 300 attempts 1400 yards
(45 more attempts 198 more yards without Jerome Bettis now)

'05: 18 rec and 218 yards rec...5 Total TD's
My predictions: 35 rec and 400 yards rec...8-11 total TD's
(17 more Rec and 182 yards rec..with 3-6 more TD's)

Not like it's THAT big of an improvement for the 2nd full season for a young RB... When you look at what Willie did last year in his first year as the starter..It is within reason!

As for Cedrick Humes being drafted in the 7th round...Show's Pittsburgh was concerned with Deuce Staley the back-up, because that is all Humes will ever be.. I repeat, if Pittsburgh was concerned about Willie Parker carring the load, they would have drafted a RB in the 1st round, not 7th... ;-D

again...This is just my opinion!
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby PurpleHaze » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:39 pm

awwchrist wrote:

You're obviously forgetting Cedric Humes in the 7th round. ;-)

I think 2 wideouts in the first three rounds dictated what their conceived needs were for the draft. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are absolutely banking on Parker for the future.

Like I said before...
Cedrick Humes is nothing more than an after thought! :-t

Cedric Humes-RB- Steelers Aug. 21 - 9:19 am et

Steelers rookie RB Cedric Humes appears unlikely to make the team's 53-man roster.

He's probably fighting for a spot on the practice squad, but any visions of the burly Humes taking over short-yardage duties will have to wait a season, assuming Humes makes the practice squad.
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Willie Parker is one of the most underratted RB in football,
in my opinion... ;-D
PurpleHaze
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby arod77 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:38 pm

I also believe that Wilie Parker is in a good sititation to have a great year.

I'd be happy with his numbers from last year but I think he will improve on those numbers now that the bus is gone and doesn't really have any competition. Pitt is a running team and they love to run the ball.

In my Keeper league, we are allowed to keep ONE guy and I am keeping FWP (IN THE 10th round).
arod77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Philly Pride » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:48 pm

FWP this year reminds me of Warrick Dunn last year. They're the same style of back in the same type of run-heavy offense, but lost goal-line carries. The only difference is the age factor.

Can you say, "One yard pass from Roethlisberger to Miller/Ward?"
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk