Little Priest Holmes injury news .... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Little Priest Holmes injury news ....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Little Priest Holmes injury news ....

Postby Homeless » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:41 pm

Running back Priest Holmes was held out of practice on Thursday due to a sore hip muscle, and he will be listed as questionable for Sunday, the Associated Press reported. General manager Carl Peterson said on his radio show Thursday night that Holmes would not miss Sunday's game at Baltimore. "Last week he didn't practice on Wednesday, and how did he do against Houston?'' Peterson asked. "He's a pro. He knows what he has to do to get ready. This is not a major concern in any fashion.'' Head coach Dick Vermeil does not believe the problem is in the same area where doctors performed arthroscopic surgery in March. "It bothered him some yesterday and he did our walkthrough this morning and was fine,'' Vermeil explained. "This afternoon it was a little risky to push him."

Did you really think Holmes would go through the season with having soreness in his hip area? Peterson's words console us for Sunday's game, but we still h! ave long-term concern about his body holding up. We'll definitely keep an eye on Holmes prior to Sunday, but fantasy owners should not consider about taking him out of the lineup at this point.

He's going to keep you guys on the edge of your seats all year long. :-)
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:45 pm

living on the edge is good..............right??
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby ducksauce1151 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:56 pm

That's ok. If Priest can't go, I have Tony Hollings to fill in his place. No worries for me!
ducksauce1151
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby spicymustard » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:11 pm

I get booed offstage anytime I say this, but people are quick to forget that major surgery doesn't become a complete nonfactor just because a player returns to his former form immediately after coming back from it. You do a lot of rehab, get yourself strong, but the problem is that your body is put together a little differently than before, and ultimately just a tad weaker than before. The upshot is that it's more susceptible to wear and tear and either re-injury or fresh injury, because often you're favoring a side of your body, or a body part, without even realizing it.

I have Holmes, so I'm happy. But I fully believe that I'm just one big hit away from a Faulk or Portis type season.
spicymustard

Friendliness: %

Postby altproject » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:14 pm

there is some truth to that. i mean, how many people on this board would spend $30K on a used pimped-out BMW if they knew it was in a major accident a couple years before? probably not too many. and if you buy it... next thing you know, you're taking a corner at 50MPH and a wheel falls off.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby altproject » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:15 pm

of course, i have edgerrin james on my team... so i guess i can be one to talk.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:31 pm

Hmm, given the injury risk involved with any and every nfl back, and the fact that Priest Holmes is averaging over 2 TDs and 150 yards a game, in fact has produced at least that much every game so far, I'm inclined to toss the dice with him on my squad.

I remember during draft time how many thought Portis was the safest pick because of his production, and not getting used as much as Ricky Williams and LT do, but now Portis is having chest injury problems, not to mention what other RB problems are occurring. Holmes was questionable last week and came through with a big game (imagine if he'd played the whole game), so I won't be surprised when I watch him in the highlights on espn this week.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:44 pm

So they are holding Holmes out of practice. So? Why let him take the abuse? Last week he missed practice and then blew Houston away. So his hip is sore? So? That same hip has worked great during the last 3 games to the tune of 7 TDs. Anyone who has Holmes most likely has him as their #1 back and a top keeper or 1st round pick in a non-keeper league. He will be started every week he is playing. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt, just like Faulk/Portis/T. Henry/C. Dillon/James Stewart have gotten hurt already this year.
Goose
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby Cestode » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:49 pm

I suppose I need to preface this by saying I have Priest on my roster. Priest will be *fingers crossed* just fine...hip arthroscopy is most certainly not major surgery. Although I can't quite speak from experience, I've never had a hip arthroscopy, I've had my knees done 4 times. There is very little difference between it and a knee arthroscopy...other than the obvious being a different type of joint. They're done on an outpatient basis. You check in, have the procedure ( which lasts no more than 30-40 minutes and amounts to nothing more than a little cleaning or removal of loose cartilage from the affected joint), and you're out before lunch. In other words, the BMW you bought was far from totaled...maybe just a blown headlamp or flat tire or something of that ilk. This pattern of "run roughshod all over an opposing defense for 2/3 of the game or until it is at least out of reach...rack up a heap of yardage and scores..then ride the pine...be "sore" for a couple of days...practice lightly...then repeat" might just continue for the foreseeable future or beyond given his penchant to "play hard" and occasionally dive into the endzone... which by the way caused me to launch a string of obcenities at the tube followed closely by a near anyeursm.

Edge of my seat..?? Absolutely! Worried..?? Absolutely! Worth it..?? Absolutely!
Cestode

Postby Cestode » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:53 pm

I suppose I need to preface this by saying I have Priest on my roster. Priest will be *fingers crossed* just fine...hip arthroscopy is most certainly not major surgery. Although I can't quite speak from experience, I've never had a hip arthroscopy, I've had my knees done 4 times. There is very little difference between it and a knee arthroscopy...other than the obvious being a different type of joint. They're done on an outpatient basis. You check in, have the procedure ( which lasts no more than 30-40 minutes and amounts to nothing more than a little cleaning or removal of loose cartilage from the affected joint), and you're out before lunch. In other words, the BMW you bought was far from totaled...maybe just a blown headlamp or flat tire or something of that ilk. This pattern of "run roughshod all over an opposing defense for 2/3 of the game or until it is at least out of reach...rack up a heap of yardage and scores..then ride the pine...be "sore" for a couple of days...practice lightly...then repeat" might just continue for the foreseeable future or beyond given his penchant to "play hard" and occasionally dive into the endzone... which by the way caused me to launch a string of obcenities at the tube followed closely by a near anyeursm.

Edge of my seat..?? Absolutely! Worried..?? Absolutely! Worth it..?? Absolutely!
Cestode

Next

Return to Football Talk