Frank Gore- Top 10 RB? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Frank Gore- Top 10 RB?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
The Lung wrote:Gore will likely end the season with 1600+ rushing yards. But I'm leery of:
  • His lack of rushing TDs. He has only scored 6 rushing TDs in 14 games. Interestingly, over the last 6 games he has rushed for a score every other week.
  • His fumbling issue. 6 fumbles, 5 lost, is a concern.
  • His injury history. He tore the ACL in both knees in college.

I definitely like his prospects next year on a much-improved 49ers team, but he's not on my first round draft board.

I agree I don't think I take him till mid 2nd rd

He'll be gone so you won't have to worry about it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
The Lung wrote:Gore will likely end the season with 1600+ rushing yards. But I'm leery of:
  • His lack of rushing TDs. He has only scored 6 rushing TDs in 14 games. Interestingly, over the last 6 games he has rushed for a score every other week.

I definitely like his prospects next year on a much-improved 49ers team, but he's not on my first round draft board.

I agree I don't think I take him till mid 2nd rd

He'll be gone so you won't have to worry about it.

That's fine, someone else can get frusturated as he goes into a slump next year.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ampant » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:39 pm

Wow. You'd make a huge mistake not to take him in the 1st round.

The guy has 1908 total yards right now, and 7 total tds. (Averaging 136 yards per game)
He is on pace to have over 2200 total yards and 9-10 tds.
He leads the NFC in rushing
He leads all NFL starting RBs by a mile with 5.5 yards/carry. The next closest guy is Westy with 5.1 ypc.
He'll probably start in the Pro-Bowl

You don't think those are 1st round numbers? People were hot about SJax at the beginning of this year and he had like 1300 total yards the previous year.

As far as the TDs go, the only other Niner RBs to score TDs came when he was out of the game hurt (Robinson got 2 and Hicks had 1). If you gave him those, that puts him at 10 tds. He probably would have had more if they hadn't had the ineffective Robinson in as the short-yardage guy. Gore would have converted a lot more of those and had a few more TDs. They were scared of the fumbling, but came to their senses and realized that he was the best player on the team. He'll get even more tds next year.

As far as the fumbles go, he has 6 this year. 4 of them came in the 1st 4 games of the season (when he was a new starter). He has only fumbled twice in the last 10 games, and last night he played a hard game in the rain with no fumbles, and made a great catch in the endzone. He's been working on his hands, and it paid off.

If you are concerned about injury, he's played almost a full season and started every game. He got hurt in games and came back to play the next week. Hell, Westy has been injured like it was going out of style the past few years, and certainly has more cause to be considered "injury prone" than Gore does.

He is a Middle 1st rounder for sure in my book. He's also young and only going to get better. He's averaging 5.5 yards/carry and almost 8 yards/catch. So he's getting those yards with fewer carries, taking less of a pounding. The niner's D is only going to get better from it's league-worst this year, which will only improve his opportunities.

When dudes like Ronnie Brown, Caddy, and Lamont Jordan were consensus 1st rounders putting up lesser numbers over shorter periods of time, Gore has to be considered a solid 1st rounder.
It's time to put down the crack-pipe and step away from the keyboard.
ampant
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Athrun340 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:20 am

not only that ampant .. this guy is being utilized like ladanian tomlinson

53 receptions for an RB? the touchdowns will come if alex smith starts playing well .. like we see in the first half of that game .. gore cant do anything

i also like their oline but i think they need to upgrade that since larry allen is entering his 13th season next year if im not mistaken ..
Athrun340
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:31 pm

*There are only 6 full time backs with more scores than Gore (LT, LJ, SJax, FWP, Rudi, Westbrook). 7 scores isn't alot, but with all the RBBC going on around the league, you're hard pressed to do much better. As the 49ers get better, he'll get more opportunities.

*But only 2 fumbles in the last 10 games. He's gotten alot better.

*Injury doesn't worry me. Torn ACLs are not an indicator of being injury prone. Edge, Jamal, and Deuce have all proven to be durable backs. Clinton Portis, now there's a guy injury prone OR at the least has proven to be a guy who doesn't play through injuries well.

Fantasy game scores

28, 19, 7, 7, 16, 8, 11, 7, 22, 23, 22, 6, 22, 23

You very rarely get nothing from him and he's been a beast 5 out of the last 6 weeks. Not bad for a guy on the 25th ranked scoring and total offense. The thing about him is the offense runs through him. When they get better, he'll perform better.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Twisted Sister » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:44 am

How can Gore not be in the top 10?? :-?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jdsun1 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 am

Twisted Sister wrote:How can Gore not be in the top 10?? :-?

Because so many people out there didn't see the talent that he had and thus passed up on him in the draft. This in turn leads to a massive number of so-called experts here to rank him outside of the top ten just out of spite, denial, jealousy etc.

...Thats how.
jdsun1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:55 am

ampant wrote:

You don't think those are 1st round numbers? People were hot about SJax at the beginning of this year and he had like 1300 total yards the previous year.

Jackson also shared a lot of playing time with Faulk in previous years. Without Faulk in the picture, it was pretty obvious his stats were going to improve.

ampant wrote:When dudes like Ronnie Brown, Caddy, and Lamont Jordan were consensus 1st rounders putting up lesser numbers over shorter periods of time, Gore has to be considered a solid 1st rounder.

Again, without Ricky Williams in the picture, it was pretty obvious that Ronnie Brown's stats were going to improve. Lamont Jordan had seventy catches in 2005. 70! That's pure gold in point-per-reception leagues. I'd disagree that Carnell 'Cadillac' Williams was a "consensus" 1st-rounder last year. I know he didn't go in the first round of any of the 5 leagues I was in.

jdsun1 wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:How can Gore not be in the top 10?? :-?

Because so many people out there didn't see the talent that he had and thus passed up on him in the draft. This in turn leads to a massive number of so-called experts here to rank him outside of the top ten just out of spite, denial, jealousy etc.

...Thats how.

I think I presented my case clearly and thoughtfully. If you'll notice, I definitely did not list spite, denial or jealousy. ;-) :-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Timbathia » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:45 pm

Injury prone can mean different things, not just major season ending stuff. What worries me about Gore is that he seems to be easily afflicated by minor injuries. Every week something is sore or not quite right. Some people are like that, and some people arent. You dont really want your star RB being less than 100% every other week. That being said, there are VERY few guys in the NFL right now with the potential to be as big as Gore next year. So long as he works on the goal line and fumbling stuff over the offseason (and unless he has character issues I dont know about then he should od that), he has all the markings of a top 5 - 7 back.

There are questions over everyone not named LT, LJ or SJax, and I dont think that Gores are bigger than anyone elses.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk