Ronnie Brown overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ronnie Brown overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ronnie Brown overrated?

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:15 am

Can someone explain to me why Ronnie Brown is rated so high here at the cafe...I know he has a world of talent and he is the unquestioned starter in Miami, but what makes him first round material? I would much rather have a top notch wideout than this guy..

I know he has the potential to totally prove me wrong, but he is still somewhat unproven..Is he not?
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ronnie Brown overrated?

Postby DrGeeves » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:22 am

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Can someone explain to me why Ronnie Brown is rated so high here at the cafe...I know he has a world of talent and he is the unquestioned starter in Miami, but what makes him first round material? I would much rather have a top notch wideout than this guy..

I know he has the potential to totally prove me wrong, but he is still somewhat unproven..Is he not?

I think you said it yourself, honestly. The guy has potential - huge upside. Makes him a sexier pick than "ceiling" RBs like Rudi, Lamont.

You could have a top notch WR *and* Brown. Since you'd likely be taking Brown in a low draft position.

My opinion.
DrGeeves
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:26 am

One opposing coach last year called him the best young runner since LT, so it's not just fantasy geeks who think alot of him.

He showed last year he is a capable RB, he had high expectations coming out of the draft, and he gets the gig by himself this year.

What's not to like about his chances of having a big year?

...then again, that's what we were saying about Julius and Kevin Jones lat year. We've been wrong before.

:-D
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:30 am

DGroundhog wrote:One opposing coach last year called him the best young runner since LT, so it's not just fantasy geeks who think alot of him.

He showed last year he is a capable RB, he had high expectations coming out of the draft, and he gets the gig by himself this year.

What's not to like about his chances of having a big year?

...then again, that's what we were saying about Julius and Kevin Jones lat year. We've been wrong before.

:-D

He's a "sexy pick" for sure...However, I'm looking for good hard evidence that proves that this guy can put up big numbers...I've seen him run and honestly, I'm not all that impressed....He is 230 pounds but he plays at about 200-210...I like his potential as a pass catcher, but he hasn't proven, to me atleast, that he can put up eye-popping numbers.
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vixtor » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:59 am

Mostly due to touches. There is no other option so I can't believe he won't get at least 320 carries and about 40 receptions. Sounds good for at least 1700 total yards and 12 td. And he was the number two pick so he likely has talent to go with it. The Brown bandwagon makes more sense than the SJax one I think.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 am

Vixtor wrote:Mostly due to touches. There is no other option so I can't believe he won't get at least 320 carries and about 40 receptions. Sounds good for at least 1700 total yards and 12 td. And he was the number two pick so he likely has talent to go with it. The Brown bandwagon makes more sense than the SJax one I think.

I think that makes for a really interesting debate....Who will put up better numbers this season: SJax or Ronnie B?
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Vixtor » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:17 am

StudentOfTheGame wrote:I think that makes for a really interesting debate....Who will put up better numbers this season: SJax or Ronnie B?

It's close but I will go with Ronnie Brown. The difference is mostly due to where each is being picked however. Some dolts are taking Jackson 4th overall but Brown almost always falls between 7-10. All about marginal value. They should get a similar amount of touches and my guess is about the same production except Ronnie has a higher ceiling.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:47 am

I have these two rated relatively close together, but I give the tilt to S-Jax because he play the 49ers and Arizona twice.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cupertino_11 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:52 am

Besides his raw talent, Ronnie's high draft position is mostly based on two key arrivals and the departure of Ricky Williams. Along with Culpepper, OL coach Hudson Houck can only make that porous, underachieving line better. With Cpepp opening up the passing game, and the offensive line becoming more cohesive, the pieces are in place for a strong season for Ronnie.

Of course, it's still a risk/reward scenario with more risk than a Rudi, Tiki, or even SJax, but alas the reward could be huge. I think Ronnie in the 7-10 range is worth it.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:45 am

I really like Brown this year.

I have him right after SJax.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner