Ronnie Brown overrated? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ronnie Brown overrated?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:50 am

Ronnie is 1st rounder pretty much by default.

McGahee - terrible blocking, no passing game
Westbrook - injury risk
DD - already injured, competition
JJ - injury risk, competition
Droughns - low ceiling, lost best blocker for the season
Parker - goalline carries?
C-Taylor - work ethic, no passing game

You get the idea. Ronnie is unproven, but he's built perfectly like an LT, built to handle 350+ touches. He's shown the ability to catch out of the backfield, which is critical for fantasy RBs. Rudi, McGahee, Jamal Lewis, these guys will have difficulty ever cracking the top 5 without breaking rushing records. RBs that catch can put up a 2000 total yard season much easier. Ronnie has no competition for the job, no TD vulture's lurking about. Also, he's in a talented offensive, with a new OC known for having high scoring offenses, so he should get more TDs opportunities due to that.

It also doesn't hurt that Miami should have the lead most of the time when playing the Bills or Jets (quarter of the season), and with the lead teams run more.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jbones733 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:57 pm

maddog60 wrote:Ronnie is 1st rounder pretty much by default.

McGahee - terrible blocking, no passing game
Westbrook - injury risk
DD - already injured, competition
JJ - injury risk, competition
Droughns - low ceiling, lost best blocker for the season
Parker - goalline carries?
C-Taylor - work ethic, no passing game

You get the idea. Ronnie is unproven, but he's built perfectly like an LT, built to handle 350+ touches. He's shown the ability to catch out of the backfield, which is critical for fantasy RBs. Rudi, McGahee, Jamal Lewis, these guys will have difficulty ever cracking the top 5 without breaking rushing records. RBs that catch can put up a 2000 total yard season much easier. Ronnie has no competition for the job, no TD vulture's lurking about. Also, he's in a talented offensive, with a new OC known for having high scoring offenses, so he should get more TDs opportunities due to that.

It also doesn't hurt that Miami should have the lead most of the time when playing the Bills or Jets (quarter of the season), and with the lead teams run more.

great wrtieup, those are all the reasons & # 2 pick

tho a ton of backs ahve been bsut, i just like Brown alot
SUPERBOWL , Who so start at Wide out ???? please help

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=382588

jbones733
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrblitz » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:28 pm

I am not one of the people overrating him, I like him, don't get me wrong. But for me he's a end of first round , early second rounder. JMO

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slowride » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:28 pm

Brown at the 5 spot.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:34 pm

jbones733 wrote: tho a ton of backs ahve been bsut, i just like Brown alot

Well that's why he's a high risk/reward player. I think Brown will be more like an LT type (I see him sniffing if not being in the top 5 for the next half decade or so), but he could also turn into this year's Kevin Jones. Its like poker, having a made pair (think Rudi) or a really good draw (players like Brown). At some point if the draw is good enough its worth the risk, and Ronnie seems like one of those worth-it risks.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jagator73 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:39 pm

5th or 6th with Portis hurt sounds about right.
Jagator73
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:56 pm

slowride wrote:Brown at the 5 spot.

Portis, Sjax, Barber, then mayyybe Brown. I would never draft Brown #5.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:02 pm

OVER
RATED

I wouldn't touch Brown until the late 2nd round. I would much rather have a stud WR instead of Ronnie this year. Let someone else gamble away their first rounder on Ronnie Brown.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby phantasyjeanius » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:44 pm

Anyone who doesn't think Ronnie is a top 7 running back is smoking that good stuff and I would appreciate it if you could hook me up with your supplier! I project Ronnie Brown to have 1200-1300+ yards 10+ td's 300+ receiving yards. I don't expect his rushing average to be above 5 but somewhere in that solid 4.5-4.8 range. These are just basically what I expect him to atleast get and would be satisfied. He's such a solid back that he could be a top 3-4 back within mid season. If Ricky Williams can have 1800+ yards with the dolphins while being less talented and having less brain cells, I surely wouldn't be suprised if Ronnie could rush for that in his sleep. I understand he is in a different situation than Ricky was but he is still going to get a decent amount of carries. You don't select the a player with the 2nd overall pick and not give them the ball especially with his talent and the situation he is in. If anything happens to Culpepper, Ronnie will really be asked to carry the load which should be a positive to his stats, but a massive amount of carries could also backfire on a 2nd year running back no matter how strong or talented. All I am saying is he is basically guaranteed 1500 total yards as a minumum, so the risk isn't too great especially when the rewards can be up to 2000+ total yards, especially in his situation.
phantasyjeanius
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 pm

My only concern with Brown is him being able to be the main guy the whole season and physically being able to handle 350+ carries since he has never done it before. Last year he split with Rickey and at Auburn Caddy carried more. To me he's right arond Jordan, Rudi, & McGahee.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk