Maurice Clarett - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maurice Clarett

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby yoda83 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:44 pm

the main reason he (or anyone) NEEDS to get educated is to have more success in the workforce. success=$$$. he will not get paid the equivalent of nfl money anywhere else on this planet. he doesnt need the education, he needs to get paid. in the nfl. and they need to let him.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pawnking » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:45 pm

His netrance early would also be DEVISTATING for the older NFL players, and for the quality of play in the NFL in general. Look what's happened in basketball. A kid who's never played against anybody over 6'3" just signed for what, a hundred million? There is no way he'll make any meaningful contribution for 3-4 years, maybe more! In the meantime, quality, experienced pros are out of this money, and many are cut so an 18 year old can have his fun. This diminished the overall quality of the game.

This is why the player's association is opposed to early entrance into the NFL. The NFL is the goose that lays the golden eggs for these guys. Letting kids like this in will only take money away from those who've earned it, and decrease revenues overall by putting a poorer product out on the market.

And don't give me that guff about no right to restrict him because of his age. There are many professions (including elected officials) where your age DOES perclude you from getting that job.

If he doesn't like it, there's always NFL Europe.
pawnking
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:47 pm

I would love nothing more than to see this kid NEVER play in the NFL, and NEVER make the millions of dollars that he could've made by just NOT BEING AN IDIOT.

Seriously, I don't understand these morons. As college football stars, they know in a few years they're going to be millionaires, yet they do this stupid stuff to jeopardize it.

I mean, c'mon, why the hell does he need to lie to his insurance company to get extra money when in a couple of years he could buy the company with all the money he'll have. It's just stupid and retarded, and by being so damned ridiculously stupid about it, I would love nothing more than their greed to get them to end up with NOTHING.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:58 pm

He's a punk,if he was smart he should stay in school...just on a whim I'll say he isn't that smart so I'm with Bagel,be funny as hell to see him walk away with nothing.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slowkidz » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:02 pm

yoda83 wrote:the main reason he (or anyone) NEEDS to get educated is to have more success in the workforce. success=$$$. he will not get paid the equivalent of nfl money anywhere else on this planet. he doesnt need the education, he needs to get paid. in the nfl. and they need to let him.

no he needs to get educated because he's an idiot. he would've had the "nfl $$$" if he would've just played the game that he's good at...he could've made a shitload of "nfl $$$" after spending three years developing himself into a greater player. now he's stuck with one injury plagued year of college football, a rap sheet and an ego bigger than moss, owens and boston combined.

if he gets into the nfl, which unfortunately i think he will, he'll get the smack laid down on his ass and never make the kind of "nfl $$$" that he thinks he's entitled to right now. then what will he do? probably go flip burgers with ryan leaf down at the Jack-n-da-box...because neither could pass the IQ test to make fries at McDonalds...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Clarett = dumbass?

Postby BurnerD » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 pm

Absolutely.

If he WAS smart (which he isn't) he would shut his mouth, stay in school, and have a big junior season, making him a lock for a top 3 pick.

Unfortunately he will win his lawsuit.. precedent has been set. My prediction is that the NFL will fight this long enough to make sure he has to wait another year anyway.

Being a Buckeye fan I loved him on the field, but off the field he's a waste of good DNA. :-t

BurnerD
BurnerD
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby yoda83 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:32 pm

say what you will about his character and intelligence. but what he needs is common sense, not a college education. and just b/c he's a moron and he's probably hurting himself (and his finances) in the long run, doesnt mean he's not entitled to take advantage of this opportunity today. any maturity that comes will come w/ time; time spent in college or the nfl. and if he gets his @ss handed to him in the pros, that's on him. might even be good for him. but there's no reason for him to risk injury, all while not getting paid in college.

and pawnking, dont get it twisted. you're comparing politics to ENTERTAINMENT. that's all these sports stars are. and if you want to and are able to entertain, and you're at least 18, you should be allowed to do just that.

and no more b*tching about these nfl vets. fresh blood is always threatening veterans in any business. in any company. the nfl just happens to be one of them.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:41 pm

Comparing the NFL to any other major sport is crazy. An 18 yr old kid can compete in the NBA and in MLB. But the NFL is TOO physical(in most cases) and TOO complicated(again, in most cases) for an 18 yr old to handle, or even a 20 yr old.

Lebron James, for instance, is ONE of a kind. Just like MJ, there will probably never be another like him. At 18, he is built like someone who has been in the league for 4-5 years. He's smart, a teamplayer, and has more raw ability than any 18 yr old has EVER had.

Back to football, Maurice Clarett is not strong enough or smart enough to deal with the NFL. But, that doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to enter the draft. Look at Willis McGahee, his career was almost ended in the blink of a second. That happens to hundreds of college players every year. Sadly, most of these guys know football, and only football. Some of them get college football jobs, but not all of them.

My last point, is how everyone seems to think Maurice Clarett is an idiot, and deserves nothing. From what I've heard him say, he seems like pretty intelligent KID. Remeber he is still a kid. Give him a break. Maybe he has made some poor choices, but that doesn't mean he should be blacklisted for the rest of his life. I'm sure if anyone here met him outside of college football, they would enjoy his company. Give him the benefit of the doubt for once, the media obviously doesn't.

Friendliness: %

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:49 pm

If he played for my college team and went on National Televsion bashing the university for not buying him plane tickets, I would be pissed. If he played for my college team and went on National Television after winning the National Championship and say "this doesn't mean anything to me", I would be pissed.

He is an immature brat who screwed up, broke the law and isn't going to take responsibility for it. To make matters worse, his family, friends and attorneys aren't asking him to take responsiblity for it either. That's one of the major problems in this country. Young people who arent' held accountable for their actions. There's talk about him sueing OSU and I've already heard "race" as being a factor in more than one place *cough* Jim Brown *cough*. It's all Bullshit. You broke the law, you broke NCAA rules, f*cking fess up already.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Re: Maurice Clarett

Postby culboarder » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:24 pm

josebach wrote:This is what I think the NFL should do. Stop the lawsuit right now. Don't let it go any further. Allow Clarett to enter the draft and then... NOBODY DRAFT HIM!!! This will allow the NFL to keep these rules on the books. This will also send a clear message to all up and coming 18 and 19 year old football players that even though their can be exceptions to the "3 years out of high school" rule, it is definately NOT within their best intersts to challenge it.

That's all we need is for college football to turn into college basketball.

Anyone?

Uhh are you an idiot?? you actually think that no team in the NFL is gonna draft him??? if you were an NFL Gm and you had a chance to pickup a guy with claretts potential in say the 7th round, your gonna tell me that you wouldnt do it??? why dont u just go sit in the corner and think about that for a while.
culboarder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk