Maurice Clarett - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maurice Clarett

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby culboarder » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:Comparing the NFL to any other major sport is crazy. An 18 yr old kid can compete in the NBA and in MLB. But the NFL is TOO physical(in most cases) and TOO complicated(again, in most cases) for an 18 yr old to handle, or even a 20 yr old.

actually there was a 20 year old in the NFL last year...his name was CLINTON PORTIS, and dont tell me that he wasnt physical enough or smart enough for the NFL....and thats the only case of a 20 year old being the NFL to my understanding so your (in most cases) doesnt mean anything. Also Roy Williams was 21 last year and again dont tell me he wasnt physical or smart enough.
culboarder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby culboarder » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:35 pm

all you people that say that he needs to stay in school and get educated....why go to school when you can go play for the NFL and make millions and millions of dollars just because your good at playing football? correct me if im wrong but i dont think you need to take college classes to be competitive in the NFL...if you are good enough to make it...why not go for it?? Clarett is a mad man and he will do well in the NFL when he gets there (next year) haha
culboarder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:40 pm

josebach wrote:If he played for my college team and went on National Televsion bashing the university for not buying him plane tickets, I would be pissed. If he played for my college team and went on National Television after winning the National Championship and say "this doesn't mean anything to me", I would be pissed.

I sincerely hope your college team is the 'Noles, and we've had our fair share of this type of thing... Randy Moss, Peter Warrick, Laveraneus Coles, Sebastian Janikowski, Adrian Peterson, Darnell Dockett, etc... You live here, you know that people have a tendency to back these players as long as they are producers... I've heard people cuss the TPD for busting Moss and getting him shipped off to Marshall... Peter Warrick was still a local celebrity after his "incident"... Meanwhile Coles (Warrick's partner in crime) got booted out of school (I don't think that that would have happened if he would have been carrying the team like Warrick was)... And I don't even have to go into Janikowski... How many times was he arrested (or almost arrested) here?

Right or wrong, it just seems to me that what we are willing to look past or sweep under the rug is directly proportional to the skill of the player... I applaud Ohio State for having the guts to suspend their top player for a year while they were defending national champions...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikehunt » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:45 pm

Sorry guys if nothing works out for him chances are he will piss of the NFL and end up in Arena or even worse the CFL. Oh and if he comes up here to the CFL kiss his career good by Rbs are nothing here they're luck to get 10 touchs a game.

this is only an if.

m
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:54 pm

I don't think this kid is ready at all. I completely agree with everyone but Yoda on this post. If Kevin comes out.......wait, what's that? Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this was 1996. Well Garnett did get drafted right? No way he made it, I've been asleep. They said the NBA game was too physical for him. Look at him, what's he been doing in the offseason, running marathons for Kenya? He'll get smashed around. Same thing for the NFL. Obviously, physical features are the most important aspect to being successful in the league. Look at that big bust Priest Holmes. Ha ha, the guy's only 5'9 for chrissakes. What does he think he'll do in the league? Ok, ok, on a serious note. 3 things. A) If any team wants to draft any player, they should have that right, and the player should have the right to enter the draft at that point. The NFL ain't the cub scouts. Who is the league to determine what's in a person's or team's best interests? Teams are businesses, trying to make money. If an owner decides drafting an 18 or 19 year old is good for the team, why on earth would the league say they can't? Old enough to die for your country but not old enough to get paid to play a friggin' game? Crap.
B) In winning the national championship at Ohio State last year, Clarett had arguably the biggest hand in writing the school a check for literally MILLIONS of dollars. NCAA athletes are continually pimped out by the schools and the NCAA itself, while earning exactly zero dollars. I'm not saying the insurance fraud thing was right, but in my opinion he owes the school nothing. Someone said something to the effect that college football is a farm system for the NFL. Not exactly, minor league players in other sports get paid, at least enough to eat on. And, even if he's not ready for the game for a few more years, you think running all over people in the Big 10 is going to prepare him more than actually playing against the best competition in the world every week? Look at Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, etc. in the NBA. They rode the pine their first few seasons, but undoubtedly benefitted from learning the lifestyle, and just witnessing the game at it's highest level. Plus, joining early should add that 2-4 years of productivity to careers.
C) He should reap the benefits of a free education. Yeah, because his sports education or sociology degree is going to work out SO much better for him than a fat NFL contract. Why do people go to college in the first place? To make more money. If some big law firm wanted to hire a kid right out of high school, would anyone have a problem with that? I don't think so. I hate when fans try to press thier own morals on someone in a situation they can't hope to comprehend.
That said, I'm personally not a huge fan of the kid, but, hey, it's America. Let him choose.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby maddog60 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:47 pm

Wow, I've only seen maybe one intelligent argument against Clarrett. :-B Though I'll all for this kid getting trounced in his lawsuit attempt, I have to respect the fact that yoda is one of the few people who hasnt reduced himself to baseless insults like calling Clarrett an idiot, a moron, etc. That really doesn't help an argument.

I see it this way. The NFL is a private entertainment organization. Not just anyone can join, it's highly selective, and the league itself is comprised of owners, coaches, and players. Being a private organization, they are fully entitled to make whatever rules restricting who can join their organization. If they save no one who hasn't been out of high school for 3 or more years can join, that's their choice. Companies aren't obliged to interview a potential worker because the person has talent, and that's what Clarrett is asking the NFL to be required to do respectively. It's the NFL's choice how to run their organization, and being able to play football whether you're no good at all, or Vince Lombardi reincarnated does not make it your right to be able to play football. It's a privilege and honor if anything.

If Clarrett were to win this lawsuit, it would set a devastating precedent. The rules on age restrictions for political offices would be in danger of being declared illegal. And transferring from age to gender, girls would by that reasoning would be allowed to join Boy Scouts. Any club for that matter would not be allowed to create restrictions for joining by this kind of a ruling. While it may seem the right thing to support Clarrett's right to make his money and achieve his nfl dreams, the rights of the NFL to make its rules for playing, drafting, coaching, etc must also be respected. There is no golden rule stating that given a degree of talent one is entitled to reap the rewards of that talent, immediately nonetheless.

If Clarrett wants to play in the nfl, he should respect and understand why the rules are set up this way, and play out his remaining college years. In the process, get himself a quality education, just in case he gets injured he has something to fall back on. Afterall, why go to college and not get an education? (but that's a whole other debate).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Maurice Clarett

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:28 pm

[quote="culboarder
Uhh are you an idiot?? you actually think that no team in the NFL is gonna draft him??? if you were an NFL Gm and you had a chance to pickup a guy with claretts potential in say the 7th round, your gonna tell me that you wouldnt do it??? why dont u just go sit in the corner and think about that for a while.[/quote]

Nobody knows how high or even if this guy is going to get drafted. What does he run, a 4.5 forty? Even if he does get drafted, look how many guys got drafted this year and didn't make the final squad. What you guys are suggesting is letting some 19 year old kid going into his sophomore year in college, declare for the draft and forgo the rest of his college elligibility so that he can "possibly" make an NFL roster somewhere? What happens when he doesn't make the cut the first year? He can't play college now, so what does he do? Play arena football? CFL? EFL? Does he go to work at McDonalds? Does he give up on his dream and stop pursuing a career in football? With as imperfect as college football is, it provides a haven for these kids. While they are in school, they aren't getting paid, but they at least have a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and are at least being exposed to other career opportunities. An overwhelming majority of college football players won't be able to make it in the NFL. Do you know how many of them think they won't make it?... NOT MANY. A lot of you guys that disagree with the NFL's policies simply aren't looking at the big picture. If you think removing rules that could potentially make the graduation rate of college football players drop drastically is a good thing (Just look at basketball), be my guest. Personally, I don't think anybody is going to benefit from it... even Maurice Clarett.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby hawksfan896 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:15 pm

First, the scouts are calling Mo a late first/early second round pick right now if he was eligible....I think you'd find the percentage of first and second rounders making teams considerably better than late rounders/free agents. Second, he is 19 years old. Stop coddling him. He's a big boy, and I think he should be free to make decisions. Just because he's good at football doesn't mean society, or the NFL, or Ohio State University needs to make his decisions for him. The only reasonable argument against it is the NFL IS a business, and as such has a right to exclude anyone they want. It's age discrimination, but it's completely legal. Lastly, college football players hover right around a 50% graduation rate as it is......they don't have too far to "drastically drop". I think college basketball has actually improved because of the high schoolers hopping to the league. You get a more team oriented squad, made up of 5 individuals who really want to be there instead of 1 or 2 guys trying to help out their resumes for the NBA. I honestly don't think the college game would suffer if guys like Mo Clarett jumped ship early.
"When I was a kid I thought I was going to be the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a f___ing helmet." --Dennis Leary
hawksfan896
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Postby josebach » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:29 pm

hawksfan896 wrote:... the scouts are calling Mo a late first/early second round pick right now if he was eligible....I think you'd find the percentage of first and second rounders making teams considerably better than late rounders/free agents.

Maybe Clarett's lawyer is calling him a late first/early second round pick, but no NFL scout is going to say anything until he tries out. Until then, it's all speculation. How much does he really weight? How tall is he really? How fast is he really? Nobody knows. The best team he played against last year (Miami) he had 23 carries for 47 yards... not exactly first round stats. It's completely up in the air as to how good this kid is.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby hurricanes_fan » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:51 am

clarett sucks. plain and simple. who did ohio state play last year? no one. nfl is much different than big ten football. ohio state always has a good o-line and that is why most running backs produce there. however, clarett does not have the talent for the nfl.

i cant stand this guy. i really hate that his team beat the canes in the national championship (shitty refereeing gave them the game).

clarett will get what he deserves. its all about the karma baby.
hurricanes_fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk