What to expect from Reggie Bush in years ahead? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What to expect from Reggie Bush in years ahead?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Rush » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Well on his one big run to the outside, if he didnt get clipped by one of the LB's he likely would have been able to break the next 20 yards for the TD. I am not gonna make assumptions like "Marshall Faulk" or "2500/30", im just wondering what the Bush/Deuce situation will be for the next 5 years.
The Rush
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bowie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 pm

gablefan wrote:Now he enters the NFl where some lineman can really haul a$$. If he sidesteps or jukes and stays put he is going to get hit from behind......ALOT. And anyone knows that has played football, most of the worst hits are the ones you don't see coming.

Good call. He got plasterred from behind by a lineman last night.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:13 pm

Bowie wrote:I don't get it. What did you all see last night that I didn't? What was so impressive? Was it his 4 carries for 7 yards (1.8 per)? Bush will have some spectacular runs and will be a SportCenter favorite, but he is not a guy who will consistantly move the chains (and that is how you win football games).

Edit: I forgot to mention that one of his carries was for 9 yards, so his other 3 carries combined for -2. Let's not call Canton yet.

With ya 100% here. I guess people are so starved for "the greatest ever" or "best RB I've ever seen" and buying into Stu Scott's "ridiculous" that they'll buy at the highest. I'll admit that the guy's got Barry Sanders like moves, but so far his game seems to be that of a side show than as an actual full-time stud RB. I think he can be a great RB, but I could say that about a handful of young RBs in the league.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
mikus wrote:
AmAr3 i$ dA fU7Ur3 wrote:PURE AND UTTER DOMINANCE. Next year, they will make Deuce a 3rd round back and Reggie will shine.

The Saints are going to adjust the play-calling in the regular season to utilize these strengths, which is why I see Deuce scoring 8 - 10 TDs this year as they will use him as a short-yardage, goal-line type runner, with Reggie being the home run guy.

Deuce could barely squeeze off 8TDs when he was healthy and getting every carry, expecting that many or more in a limited role coming off an ACL injury is quite optimistic.

He had 16 in his first year as a starter.
And Deuce would be probably the most expensive short yardage back in the history of the league if thats how they were planning on using him. I would see Bush being more of a rover on offense playing RB and WR and getting around 12 carries and 5 catches a game until Deuce (getting about 12-15 carries) moves on.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Every time the Saints give Mcallister the ball, they are sacrificing a potential touchdown.

Reggie Bush is the most electrifying player to come into the NFL since Barry Sanders. Now he's about 10 great seasons from being anywhere near Sanders' level...but Sanders had a large amount of critics in his day.

What has he done? Well, it's all been in college. But if you've seen a few of his runs in the two pre-season games, it tells you all you need to know. His speed translates VERY WELL to the NFL.

HE had four carries last night and was hit immediately on 3 of them. Jim Brown in his prime wouldn't have gained anything on those.

His nine yard run and his catch were just two samples of his incredible ability.

Injuries can always change things, but I see a career close to Barry Sanders if he stays healthy. And I HATE ESPN, didn't watch Sportscenter last night, and watched Bush's carries on my Tivo late last night with the sound down, so my mind isn't clouded by ESPN. I just know a superstar when I see one.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:12 pm

I think Bush will end up being Desmond Howard Junior. I just don't see him as an effective every-down RB in the NFL. Ever.

I don't buy the comparisons to Barry. Bush is faster but Barry had the whole "stopping on a dime, unbelievable low center of gravity" thing that no one has.

Maybe if he finds the right situation he could be comparable to Faulk, but I don't think Bush is powerful enough to run the ball like Marshall did, even if he finds an offense that wants to use him in the same way.

I think he'll be an effective weapon in the passing game out of the backfield, the best kick returner in the NFL, and never live up to the hype.

Just my two cents. Maybe I just missed the day they handed out the Kool-Aid. ;-)
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shader » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:22 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I think Bush will end up being Desmond Howard Junior. I just don't see him as an effective every-down RB in the NFL. Ever.

I don't buy the comparisons to Barry. Bush is faster but Barry had the whole "stopping on a dime, unbelievable low center of gravity" thing that no one has.

Maybe if he finds the right situation he could be comparable to Faulk, but I don't think Bush is powerful enough to run the ball like Marshall did, even if he finds an offense that wants to use him in the same way.

I think he'll be an effective weapon in the passing game out of the backfield, the best kick returner in the NFL, and never live up to the hype.

Just my two cents. Maybe I just missed the day they handed out the Kool-Aid. ;-)

Bush is as solid as a rock. He's extremely powerful, and comparisons to Desmond Howard really make me question whether you've actually watched Bush. He's not some 178 pound wimp with blazing speed. Have you seen his arms?

I'll be looking back at posts such as these in 4 months, when the only Bush-haters left will be blind people.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:30 pm

Shader wrote:Bush is as solid as a rock. He's extremely powerful, and comparisons to Desmond Howard really make me question whether you've actually watched Bush. He's not some 178 pound wimp with blazing speed. Have you seen his arms?

I'll be looking back at posts such as these in 4 months, when the only Bush-haters left will be blind people.

Thanks to ABC and living on the West Coast, I got USC shoved down my throat on a weekly basis, so I've watched him plenty. I just honestly don't think he'll ever succeed as an every-down back in the NFL.

In the open field, he's spectacular. I agree. You just don't see NFL teams succeeding by running sweeps or pitches all the time. Guys have to run between the tackles, and I don't think he'll be able to do that in the NFL.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and I can live with that. B-)
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shader » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:33 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Shader wrote:Bush is as solid as a rock. He's extremely powerful, and comparisons to Desmond Howard really make me question whether you've actually watched Bush. He's not some 178 pound wimp with blazing speed. Have you seen his arms?

Thanks to ABC and living on the West Coast, I got USC shoved down my throat on a weekly basis, so I've watched him plenty. I just honestly don't think he'll ever succeed as an every-down back in the NFL.

In the open field, he's spectacular. I agree. You just don't see NFL teams succeeding by running sweeps or pitches all the time. Guys have to run between the tackles, and I don't think he'll be able to do that in the NFL.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and I can live with that. B-)

I think USC had a once-in-a-lifetime combination of NFL backs in Lendale and Reggie. Sure, Lendale is a better goalline back. So USC used him. But I think Reggie would have been fine as a goalline back.

And there's nothing in Bush's resume at USC that suggests any part of the running game that he can't perform.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby gablefan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Ease up there Shader, time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

I see Bush being more like the Michael Vick of RB's. If you can contain him to the inside yuo will kill his big play ability. I think Parcells has already shown most people how to play him. Maybe I am wrong. Time will tell, It just seems like all of his big runs are to the outside.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk