Portis - no more goaline carries? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis - no more goaline carries?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:59 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:OK, here is why Duckett is a Redskin, now....

In 2005, Clinton Portis' rushing stats when the Redskins had fewer than 3 yards for a 1st down:

42 carries for 92 yards...

2.19 yards per carry

Clearly he is not, and never was, a short yardage kind of back... Gibbs realized that in the '05 draft when he drafted fullbacks with a full 1/3 of his draft picks, and he realizes that now...

Duckett is being brought in to be the short yardage back... Clinton Portis never really was the short yardage back... So, I'm failing to see where Duckett's presence steps all over Clinton's toes...

This is a very misleading stat. 2.19ypc is actually a high average for short yardage situations.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:19 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

In 2005, Clinton Portis' rushing stats when the Redskins had fewer than 3 yards for a 1st down:

2.19 yards per carry

Clearly he is not, and never was, a short yardage kind of back... Gibbs realized that in the '05 draft when he drafted fullbacks with a full 1/3 of his draft picks, and he realizes that now...

Duckett is being brought in to be the short yardage back... Clinton Portis never really was the short yardage back... So, I'm failing to see where Duckett's presence steps all over Clinton's toes...

This is a very misleading stat. 2.19ypc is actually a high average for short yardage situations.

Really?

Warrick Dunn's stats in the same situations:

26 carries for 103 yards...

3.96 yards per carry

Willie Parker's stats in the same situations:

19 carries for 68 yards...

3.58 yards per carry

Tiki Barber's stats in the same situations:

34 carries for 152 yards...

4.47 yards per carry

Are those guys short yardage studs? Or is Portis just poor in short yardage situations?

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

2.19 yards per carry

Really?

Warrick Dunn's stats in the same situations:

26 carries for 103 yards...

3.96 yards per carry

Willie Parker's stats in the same situations:

19 carries for 68 yards...

3.58 yards per carry

Tiki Barber's stats in the same situations:

34 carries for 152 yards...

4.47 yards per carry

Are those guys short yardage studs? Or is Portis just poor in short yardage situations?

Those are very small sample sizes. One decently sized run in those situations can affect one of those YPC's by 1-2 full yards per carry. I remember looking at that stat a few years back and there were several top RBs under 2ypc.

I am in no way trying to argue that Portis is good, or even average in short yardage situations, but I still think the stat is very misleading.

Btw, where are you getting those numbers from? I've lost my source for those kind of numbers.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:13 am

why are you guys so focused on YPC on short yardage... doesn't really make sense to me. If I'm first and goal on the 1 yard line, 6 times a season. My YPC is going to be 1 yard if I convert evey time.

I think conversion % is what counts. ;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk