Benson losing grip on #1? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Benson losing grip on #1?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 pm

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:56 pm

The guy can play, but he needs an attitude adjustment if he thinks he can walk right into chicago and be the star of the team. Urlacher came in and played and Bear's fans loved him because of what he did on the field. Benson can be the guy if he would just shut up, heal and forget about what the media says and go out there and run the damn ball. The Bears should be running the ball 30-40 times a game with these two and that Defense.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Dang sixx already gonna give up on Benson when we havent seen him play significantly?

As a Benson owner in two (maybe 3) leagues this news doesnt sound good at all. I would be hesitant to draft Benson at this point in a redraft. Im defintely not ready to give up on him in dynasty and keeper leagues though.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:12 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote: Benson can be the guy if he would just shut up, heal and forget about what the media says and go out there and run the damn ball.

This is 100% right. I think Benson has more talent than TJ, if he would just shut up he could easily be #1. It's too bad he seems to be alienating his team mates, as I think he could use some veteran guidance. Who knows if he'd listen, though.

From a fantasy standpoint, anybody taking either Ced or TJ had to know they were taking a risk. TJ has had some trouble with injuries and this situation could change tomorrow.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gablefan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 pm

ok so it is an issue like Pac-Man in TN...without the legal troubles!
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:19 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Dang sixx already gonna give up on Benson when we havent seen him play significantly?

As a Benson owner in two (maybe 3) leagues this news doesnt sound good at all. I would be hesitant to draft Benson at this point in a redraft. Im defintely not ready to give up on him in dynasty and keeper leagues though.

Not so much give up as never wanted. And of course we haven't seen him play. The "stud" caught R.G.D., otherwise known as Rx Grossman Disease. Next he'll sneeze and hurt his ribs.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TXLonghorns1155 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:30 pm

damn, he's startin to make Ricky Williams look good, I thought he was gonna be different
TXLonghorns1155
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:41 pm

biju wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Well, apparently he left the stadium before Friday night's game was over. Probably not going to sit well with management. What is it with Bears first round picks? :~(

See, I look at this type of behavior as a management problem. I understand that Smith can't control his players 100% but if it was clear that Benson should be a positive to the team at all times and become a leader he wouldn't have left the sideline to begin with.

Benson, on the other hand, really needs to grow up. I have a feeling Benson is starting to get a "me vs. the world" attitude and that's not good. It's only going to solidify the unit that Thomas Jones has with the rest of the team. He needs to start helping his O-line up when they fall down, provide constructive feedback for teammates and congratulate and praise them (especially if it's Thomas Jones) when they do well.

His attitude of "I want a competition" seems like a positive way to look at it from his perspective but feels cocky to everyone else. I know what he's saying but why not just be humble and then let your play speak? He *has* more talent than Thomas Jones but right now Benson didn't help them become a playoff contender, Thomas Jones did.

Still, as a fantasy owner I would highly prefer to see Cedric Benson take the field.

correction... as a Benson owner :-b
early in the year lovie supports Jones, then it seems like Benson. Screw it I'm drafting Pope hoping they both go down at some point.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:44 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:Dang sixx already gonna give up on Benson when we havent seen him play significantly?

Not so much give up as never wanted. And of course we haven't seen him play. The "stud" caught R.G.D., otherwise known as Rx Grossman Disease. Next he'll sneeze and hurt his ribs.

He's not Chris Brown yet.

Aside from the holdout, I'm really missing what is such a big deal about his attitude. Maybe it carries over more in interviews, but usually when guys say "I welcome competition." That is viewed as the good teammate thing to say.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Here is my take on it all.....

Postby marksy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:24 pm

TJ is the locker room favorite. He gets demoted for not going to off season workouts (i.e. we need to find a way to give the job to Benson because we are paying him so damn much).

TJ comes to camp and Drew decides rather than hold out, we'll tweak a hammy (yeah that'll show them).

Now we are in a situation where the veteran is saying all the right things to the media (maybe a little more than some know), but who knows what he is doing / saying behind the scenes?

Benson, who has had no guidance or anyone take him under his wing, much of it likely his own doing (by comments made, the holdout, etc.) is just shooting off to anyone that will listen about how nobody likes him.

Why could this not be a Faulk - Jackson type scenario, where the classy veteran shows the young kid the ropes, while the student shows the veteran the respect he deserves and they work together, all the while knowing the writing that is on the wall for the future?

My guess is a little more lack of class on the veteran in Chicago than the lack of respect from the student. But just my opinion from that which I have read....
marksy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk