12th pick - serpentine draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

12th pick - serpentine draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

12th pick - serpentine draft

Postby jk1nole » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:27 pm

Need some help. Haven't played FF in a couple of years, so I need to get caught up. I have the 12th pick in 12 teams. But, we have a modified serpentine draft. Meaning my top 4 picks will be 12, 1, 7, 2, then 8, and 3. What should I be expecting to get in the top 4 - 5 picks? Thanks!!!!
jk1nole
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12th pick - serpentine draft

Postby pappymojo » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:41 pm

jk1nole wrote:Meaning my top 4 picks will be 12, 1, 7, 2, then 8, and 3.

I don't think anyone understands you. Usually a serpentine draft works that the person with the 12th pick in the first round gets the first pick in the second round. So that would be the 12th and 13th pick. Or you could describe the pick with the round number like 1.12 which would mean first round 12th pick and second round first pick would be 2.01.

I personally don't understand what you are trying to describe.
'nuff said
pappymojo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:15 am

I think he is saying:

Get at least 1 RB in your first 2 picks.

L Johnson, S Alexander, L Tomlinson will be gone.
S Jackson, T Barber, R Brown should also be gone.

If one of these guys is available, take him. If 2 are available, consider taking them both.

C Portis, E James, L Jordan, C Williams, R Johnson

Note: Portis has a slightly seperated shoulder, most still consider him a 1st rounder. I don't. If he is the only remaining RB, I would also consider W McGahee, but most would also think that is too high for Willis.

I might also roll the dice and get my RB's later and take P Manning and a WR, but any RB you take later would be a steep drop off from the above 10-11 RB's.

With the second pick, consider a WR from this group:
S Smith, T Holt, C Johnson (or possibly Manning)

In the 3rd round, If McGahee somehow made it that far, I would for sure take him then if I took a non-RB in the 2nd round.

Otherwise, go for another WR from this group if avaialable (there may be 1 left):

T Owens, M Harrison, L Fitzgerald, A Boldin, R Moss

Westbrook or McGahee might also be available here.

If you play a TE position, Antonio Gates is also an option (although there seems to better TE depth this year and you could wait until after the 7th round and likely get solid enough production from a traditionally weak position.

In the 4th round you should look at RB/WR once again. If you already have 2 RB, then go WR. If you have 2 WR, go RB. If you took Manning or Gates, you have an option of RB/WR and should lean towards RB. Some of these guys would be solid enough 3rd round option as well if the above are taken.

4th round options are:
WR: R Wayne, H Ward, C Chambers, S Moss, P Burress, R Williams, J Walker
RB: B Westbrook (probably gone in late 2nd/3rd round), R Bush, K Jones, J Jones, W Dunn, W Parker, C Taylor, D Foster, J Lewis

I think there is a significant drop off in WR after about 16-18 picks. After the top 10-12 RB's, there is another dropoff. Other than Manning, I wouldn't take a QB until the 5th round, but I would certainly grab on in round 5 or 6.

For a QB in the 5th round, P Manning and C Palmer will likely be gone. Beyond them, look at:

T Brady, E Manning, M Hasselbeck, D Culpepper, M Bulger

That should give you a good start to a team.

If you want some links to some rankings or have some more in depth questions you can send me a private message. This thread might get locked.

Good Luck!
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk