SJAX just became the #4 RB - What do YOU think? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

SJAX just became the #4 RB - What do YOU think? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:22 pm

The top 12 went like this

LJ
LT
SA
Portis
Peyton
Edge
C Palmer-Idiotic
Tiki
R Brown
Rudi
Caddy
SJax
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcousticNut » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Just in from Rotoworld:

The Rams are reportedly ready to make a contract offer to Stephen Davis.

He again passed a physical. It's curious that St. Louis is loading up on slow veteran runners; maybe Steven Jackson's Achilles isn't as healthy as he's let on. Davis might cut into Jackson's short-yardage carries.

How does this affect Jackson's status with everybody?

linkage
AcousticNut
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:46 pm

AcousticNut wrote:Just in from Rotoworld:

He again passed a physical. It's curious that St. Louis is loading up on slow veteran runners; maybe Steven Jackson's Achilles isn't as healthy as he's let on. Davis might cut into Jackson's short-yardage carries.

linkage

This is exactly the kind of stuff that bothers me about Jackson. I am not totally comfortable with him staying heathy all season long. That being said, I still think he has the #5 spot.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crippler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:15 pm

I still like Tiki over SJax. Tiki's got a proven track record and Jackson had trouble staying healthy last year with a lighter load than he will get now. Too many ?'s to take 4th overall. 5th maybe.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Timbathia » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:06 pm

It seems there is no good pick at number 4 if Davis is being brought in to reduce the wear on SJax in short-yardage and possibly goal-line situations. Same goes with Tiki and Jacobs, and Portis sure isnt built to takes hits as it is, and with a separated shoulder issue (which make no doubt will linger all season) he will lose goal-lines carries to Duckett and is thus not ideal to take that high in a draft.

It has turned into a total crapshoot in the first round if you are not in the top 3. At least a few years ago you could take Randy Moss in this situation, but IMO there are no longer clearcut quality WRs that are obviously better than the others in the top 7 that would make them worth taking in the middle of the first round.

Oh well, maybe the Bears defense is the best value pick at number 4.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FanFootHeadBusta » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm not concerned with the contract offer to Davis. I'm sure the Rams don't intend to feature him as a short yardage/goal line back because Jackson is a) bigger than Davis and b) as good as they come in short yardage situations. I see them putting Davis in whenever Jackson needs a breather. And with his expected increase in workload, that should come as no surprise. Jackson is a monster because his skill set allows him to play every down effectively, no matter the situation. Davis should have little to no fantasy impact if he does sign with the Rams.
FanFootHeadBusta
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ateam » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:45 pm

linkage

UH-OH...

This could have huge implications. SDavis would easily be Jacobs to SJax and put Tiki clearly back in at a solid 4 slot, especially in a PPR league.

SJax could fall further if he loses goalines. Talk about bursting bubbles, SDavis in STL to me would be a major negative.

If so...

LJ
LT/SA

Tiki

RBrown/SJax/Edge/Rudi/Lamont/Portis, etc.

Again, what a sweet adv. them top 3 picks have this year.
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mothaudio » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Our 8 man league drafted Monday. With the number 6 pick I took R.Brown over Tiki, who went after C.Williams at number 8. I then took S-Jax in the 2nd round over L.Jordan and Portis in the third!
mothaudio
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:21 pm

ateam wrote:

linkage

UH-OH...

This could have huge implications. SDavis would easily be Jacobs to SJax and put Tiki clearly back in at a solid 4 slot, especially in a PPR league.

SJax could fall further if he loses goalines. Talk about bursting bubbles, SDavis in STL to me would be a major negative.

Uhhh... S Jax is 6'2" and 230 lbs. Barber is 5'10" and 205. It's not like S Jax is a smaller back who would need a short yardage/goal line back to sub for him.

In this case, I'd say it is more about insurance than a 'TD vulture' situation.

No change in S Jax value from this signing IMO. If his achilles bothers him, then his value changes.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:32 pm

I have a huge man crush on Steven Jackson this year. I've had him pegged at #5 but Portis injury puts Jackson now at #4 for me
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk