Does a keeper league with one keeper make sense? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does a keeper league with one keeper make sense?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheRockFrog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 pm

We keep 4 in our league...the guy who has Thomlinson, Tiki Barber, Torry Holt, and Owens keeps getting beaten in the championship..he's never won it but he almost goes undefeated in the regular season every year....mmmm....maybe we should lower the keepers to 3...of course, he's the commish so it probably wont change.
TheRockFrog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does a keeper league with one keeper make sense?

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:51 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:So my money league with some people from work had a vote and we decided to change the league from a redraft to a keeper. I'm fine with this, since our draft isn't until next week and whatever. However, the commish is thinking of going with one keeper...

Now, am I crazy or does this give too much of an advantage to the guys who pick #1 and #2? It seems that you'd most likely be keeping your first rounder into the future, and that this setup wouldn't give the snake draft a chance to "work its magic" and even things out.

Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you think?

Keep in mind that in '05 LJ and Steve Smith were both middle-round picks...

In '04, Alexander was a late first rounder...

It may SEEM like it's a huge advantage, but it's rare for one guy to sit atop the heap year after year after year... Tomlinson is the only guy who has come close, and even he is not ever a lock for the top fantasy RB...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Does a keeper league with one keeper make sense?

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:So my money league with some people from work had a vote and we decided to change the league from a redraft to a keeper. I'm fine with this, since our draft isn't until next week and whatever. However, the commish is thinking of going with one keeper...

Now, am I crazy or does this give too much of an advantage to the guys who pick #1 and #2? It seems that you'd most likely be keeping your first rounder into the future, and that this setup wouldn't give the snake draft a chance to "work its magic" and even things out.

Am I right? Am I wrong? What do you think?

Keep in mind that in '05 LJ and Steve Smith were both middle-round picks...

In '04, Alexander was a late first rounder...

It may SEEM like it's a huge advantage, but it's rare for one guy to sit atop the heap year after year after year... Tomlinson is the only guy who has come close, and even he is not ever a lock for the top fantasy RB...

true, although priest sat on top for a few years in a row.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gang Green » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:27 pm

Pimpin-

My league we did the same thing a few years ago-switched from a 12 team redraft to a 1 player keeper. We can keep any one player drafted after the 3rd round and only for the following year. It's seemed to have worked well for my league.
Leon Washington A.K.A. Little Dunn
Gang Green
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:40 pm

TheRockFrog wrote:We keep 4 in our league...the guy who has Thomlinson, Tiki Barber, Torry Holt, and Owens keeps getting beaten in the championship..he's never won it but he almost goes undefeated in the regular season every year....mmmm....maybe we should lower the keepers to 3...of course, he's the commish so it probably wont change.

I wonder why he never wins a championship ;-7

Yeah thats crap pimpin, need to make it an even number, or go with the "can only keep after round 3" rule
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby HoleInTheWallGang » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:47 pm

My league is in its sixth year. We had a 1 keeper rule from day one and, it worked fine for us., There is always other players out there who make up for any dominant players someone may grab at #1 or #2. We now have a 2 keeper rule. If you keep two then you give up your first round pick. But, we have to keep one.
HoleInTheWallGang
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby thechill » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:25 pm

we also only keep one, but it can't be anyone from the 1st round. Also, you get to keep the player in what ever round you drafted him last year. In my case it will be Wille Parker in the 17th round.
thechill
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk