Can you corner the Market? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can you corner the Market?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can you corner the Market?

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:43 am

This kind of came to my mind because I received possess 4 of the top 20 picks in my redraft league and I was thinking, what would happen if I took 3/4 top WR's?

Could that essentially corner the market and cause a shortage enough to seriously hamper other teams. Especially in a league where you are required to start 3 WR's?

Most people draft RB's early, so if someone just went nuts taking WR's, could they throw off the whole balance of the league and put themselves in a great trade position a couple of weeks into the season once a few RB's situations become more clear? We have almost proven that the top 5 WR's are almost for sure things so there is little risk of your picks becoming complete busts.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gablefan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:20 am

I like your thinking. Alot of people never take into consideration that affects the whole draft . I like it. You should do it and let me know how it pans out.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bravos of Steel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:22 am

I agree, it's definitely a unique style of drafting, but sounds like it could also be successful. If you do it, keep us posted ;-D
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FF Newbie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:25 am

I do stuff like this all the time. It generally tends to work out. Value drafting.
FF Newbie
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:25 am

Exactly what picks do you have? Did you give up some 2rd and 4th round picks to move up? If so, I wouldn't advise this as there will be absolutely no RBs available to you after your 4 WRs.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Re: Can you corner the Market?

Postby bellings » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:25 am

BigMusky wrote:This kind of came to my mind because I received possess 4 of the top 20 picks in my redraft league and I was thinking, what would happen if I took 3/4 top WR's?

Could that essentially corner the market and cause a shortage enough to seriously hamper other teams. Especially in a league where you are required to start 3 WR's?

Most people draft RB's early, so if someone just went nuts taking WR's, could they throw off the whole balance of the league and put themselves in a great trade position a couple of weeks into the season once a few RB's situations become more clear? We have almost proven that the top 5 WR's are almost for sure things so there is little risk of your picks becoming complete busts.

It's certainlty risky. The problem with this is that the other teams are all on equal footing with lesser WR's, so they may not feel the need to trade for one of yours. It's always extremely dangerous to draft with the intention of trading.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Bowie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:31 am

I think you would find yourself trading from a weak position as all the other owners laugh at your RBs.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigMusky » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 am

referring to Kensats post on going WR/WR in a 12 team draft, what running backs are locks between 15-20 anyway? There is a better then average chance in an 8 team league that servicable backs will be available in rounds 4-5 (Picks 30-35).
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 am

I tryed to go WR/WR in a 12 team cafe league and was very disapointed with the RBs that dropped. The best two available were Foster and Benson. In a competitive league i just dont think going WR with your early picks is a good idea.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JGarrison » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:54 am

I did the WR/WR in my 14 team draft, picked up Smith and Harrison, got KJones and C Taylor on the way back. Still ended up with F Taylor and G Jones as well.
JGarrison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk