Can you corner the Market? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can you corner the Market?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:29 pm

I love this strategy, and I use it quite often, and it usually works pretty well.

Last year, I got something like 5 of the top 6 QB's (start 2 QB's in the league), and the trade value returned incredible results, including shaun alexander.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mr.Joshua » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Moss could easily be a bust this year out of the group
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 231)

Postby aldridg6in » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:08 pm

We're conducting a 10 team draft now through the cafe. I had the #2 overall pick and took Tomlinson. In rounds 2 & 3 I took Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison instead of picking up a mid-tier RB (Kevin Jones appeared to be the best available). I think my strategy could work out since I've got LT2, but I'm not so sure drafting lots of receivers at the beginning is the way to go if you don't have a top RB.

We're still drafting so I don't know who my #2 back will be yet, but it doesn't look like he'll be too bad at this point.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kilroy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 am

My first draft this year I traded down from 1.2 to 1.9 to get an extra second rounder. Ended up with 9, 16, 23, 33, and 47. After Portis dropped to me at 9 (before he got hurt) I used 16 and 23 on CJ and Holt. Lucky for me I got Taylor at 33 and JLew at 47.

If you can start a run on WRs that strategy could work. Problem is if you don't get the run you're going to be scrambling for Backs, and you'll end up having to sell low.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby DGroundhog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:44 am

I don't like the idea at all. I'm not averse to tkaing a position other than RB in the first and/or 2nd rounds, but intentionally going in ignoring them for the first 4 rounds just seems dumb.

...and no, you can't 'corner the market'. There's about 18-20 solid WR picks that are either solid #1's or serviceable #1 and #2 types if you get 2 of them. Taking 4 of them will still leave every other team with a chance of getting a Wayne/R Williams and that's really not so bad if you are sporting Alexander/McGahee, S Jax/Caddy, or R Brown/Edge in your backfield.

Plus those teams would probably be set at RB after your error, giving them a big advantage over you. When you are scrambling for RB in the 5th and 6th rounds and beyond, they will be getting their QB's, backup players, and 3rd WR's.
DGroundhog
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk