Chester Taylor vs. Desaun Foster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chester Taylor vs. Desaun Foster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:33 pm

Taylor is ranked just ahead of Foster in my rankings. Both are talented and both are in great situations. The edge goes to Taylor because of Fosters tendency to get injured.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JeRmZ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:38 pm

BUT the question remains ....

Is Taylor worthy of #2 back status or who else would you be targeting say around pick 20-21 overall?
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:42 pm

JeRmZ wrote:BUT the question remains ....

Is Taylor worthy of #2 back status or who else would you be targeting say around pick 20-21 overall?

Taylors a good second back for sure. Hes in a great system for him (West Coast offense) and has got a great oline and FB blocking for him.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JeRmZ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:46 pm

so then I wouldn't be too crazy to take him with the 20th or 21st overall pick then huh? .... BUT like I said the only way I don't is ...

1. He's not there,
2. Dunn is Available ... Yardage heavy league!

I draft from #1 ..... Mocks I've done I've been gettin LT2, coming back at 20 I can usually nab an allright #1 WR and then nab Taylor or Dunn on the turn with pick 21!
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:10 pm

They both suck.

I guess taylor just cause he's not a handcuff. But he's looked like ass every single down he's played so far.

These guys are at the bottom of my #2 RB list. Heck, atleast Frank Gore is no longer a handcuff. You see Foster getting more TDs than Gore? Maybe. Would I bet on it? No way. I'd rather take Gore a round or two later and shore up a nice QB or T Heap.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby maddog60 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:18 pm

JeRmZ wrote:Would you take Chester as your #2 back?

.... I can see him possibly lasting that long for me and he may be better than the other options that are left at that time ... I pick #1 and #20 on the way back so i.e. Westy, J. Lew, JJ, KJ etc.

the only way I wouldn't take Taylor as a #2 is if I could get Dunn, then I take Dunn over Taylor.

If I got myself a top noth WR in the 2nd, maybe even one in the 3rd too, absolutely I'd make Chester my #2 RB.

C-Taylor has Foster beat in just about every facet.

1) Competition. C-Taylor was brought in to be the #1 guy, and considering his stiffest competitor, Moore, has gone down the depth charts, its looking like smooth sailing. Foster on the other hand, has a 1st round pick and eventual replacement breathing down his back.

2) Reliability. Foster is injury prone, one of the worst. C-Taylor hasn't shown any injury proneness yet.

3) Importance. Foster is not the focal point of his offense. Likely to try and keep him from injury he'll be in RBBC, but Steve Smith is clearly the focal point. C-Taylor is the only guy Minnesota can make the focal point. Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor, and Troy Williamson won't frighten defenses. Wiggins is good and reliable with catches, but no Gates or Gonzo. And whoever is under center won't be that dominating.

The only negative on Taylor, he's never been the featured RB before. However, one could argue, neither has Foster.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby andus » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Neither one has a ton of experience as a starter, and their backup stats are pretty much identical, so we'll throw that out.

Foster has a great defense that gives him clock-burning carries and a good passing offense that opens up his running lanes. He's been surrounded by the same system and players (mostly) for years.

Taylor has an atrocious offense around him, not one decent skill player. That means 8 in the box. It also means not a ton of red zone opportunities. Everyone's raving about his O-line, and Hutchinson and Richardson look good on paper, but remember they're being thrown in together for the first season. Add to that new coaching staff and a new running back, and you're looking at a unit that hasn't had enough time to gel.

I don't usually drink the preseason cheatsheet Kool-Aid, so I'd feel much better with Foster.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:48 pm

andus wrote:Neither one has a ton of experience as a starter, and their backup stats are pretty much identical, so we'll throw that out.

Foster has a great defense that gives him clock-burning carries and a good passing offense that opens up his running lanes. He's been surrounded by the same system and players (mostly) for years.

Taylor has an atrocious offense around him, not one decent skill player. That means 8 in the box. It also means not a ton of red zone opportunities. Everyone's raving about his O-line, and Hutchinson and Richardson look good on paper, but remember they're being thrown in together for the first season. Add to that new coaching staff and a new running back, and you're looking at a unit that hasn't had enough time to gel.

I don't usually drink the preseason cheatsheet Kool-Aid, so I'd feel much better with Foster.

100% agree about the O line in Minny. Best O line in the league on paper, but they look awful.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 pm

I drafted this past weekend and Chester went 17th overall. Be ready to use a pick between 13-20 for Taylor.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Thursday » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Joeybagadonuts wrote:
andus wrote:Neither one has a ton of experience as a starter, and their backup stats are pretty much identical, so we'll throw that out.

100% agree about the O line in Minny. Best O line in the league on paper, but they look awful.

Remember, don't overrate the preseason.

Taylor's my #2 back going into this season. I have LJ and Holt, so taylor was the best choice left. With the season approaching, i'd say Taylor will climb in ADP, so like someone said before me, expect to pick Taylor between picks 20-25.
Thursday
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk