FWP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

FWP

Moderator: Football Moderators

FWP

Postby gablefan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:29 pm

This is posted in player updates too, but it pretty significant....

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Cowher said that starting tailback Willie Parker has a good chance to remain in games in short-yardage situations, as the team has not settled on a replacement for Jerome Bettis in such situations.

Starting cornerback Deshea Townsend has a slight fracture of his right thumb and will not play in the Steelers' preseason game Friday at Philadelphia, coach Bill Cowher said Wednesday.
Cowher, speaking at his weekly news conference from training camp, said he is "optimistic" Townsend will be ready for the season opener Sept. 7 against Miami. Townsend injured the thumb making an interception in practice Tuesday.

Receiver Hines Ward (hamstring) also will sit out the Philadelphia game - and likely the preseason finale against Carolina - but Cowher also is optimistic Ward will be close to 100 percent for the opener.

Cowher also said that starting tailback Willie Parker has a good chance to remain in games in short-yardage situations, as the team has not settled on a replacement for Jerome Bettis in such situations.
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelyoface » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:33 pm

Big steelers fan here...saw that too. FWP is on my squad along with Tiki...i'm lovin it.
steelyoface
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:35 pm

Bumps value a little bit
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby steelyoface » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:44 pm

citybirds27 wrote:Bumps value a little bit

I think you under estimate him...FWP went 1200 yards last year even with the loyalty to the bus...10 pounds more muscle...just as fast and goal line carries...he could end up being a stud.
steelyoface
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby citybirds27 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:45 pm

steelyoface wrote:

I think you under estimate him...FWP went 1200 yards last year even with the loyalty to the bus...10 pounds more muscle...just as fast and goal line carries...he could end up being a stud.

You maybe right, but I think that higher's his injury value some, but who knows you could be right.
citybirds27
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:20 pm

citybirds27 wrote:
steelyoface wrote:

You maybe right, but I think that higher's his injury value some, but who knows you could be right.

I hate when people just throw comments like this out there. What in his history would suggest that his injury chances are higher now? I don't see him getting goal line carries as being an indication that he has a better chance of getting hurt, he has bulked up a good amount from what I've read and I think he'll be fine.

This is also what I've been saying all along, Duce is really the only possible threat to take any short yardage away from Parker, and he has both had trouble staying healthy, and hasn't looked great when he's played. I think Parker is a great #2 RB this year.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:26 pm

mattb47 wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:You maybe right, but I think that higher's his injury value some, but who knows you could be right.

I hate when people just throw comments like this out there.

That's why I'm using my first round draft choice on Jonathan Wells. Low injury risk makes him A-Ok! ;-) :-b

Seriously, though, the knock against FWP is that he doesn't get the goal-line carries. Now that it looks like he will, he's in the top 15 RBs if not top 10.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:31 pm

This is most defintely big news. FWP goes from a late second round pick to an early second or even late first round pick in my mind. With goaline carries behind that offensive line the future looks bright for Parker!
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Here's what I'm seeing in regards to this:

Parker is a quick back who poses a lot of threat to break off a big run. The problem is his considerable lack of production against more formidable defenses. Parker had 5 games above 100 yards last year that all came at the expense of some pretty lousy defenses (Tennessee, Houston, Cincinatti, Cleveland and Detroit) in huge blowout games. The reason he gained notoriety was because most people thought he was a stopgap until Duce Staley became healthy (I think is was Duce?) and he was an unknown at the beginning of the year and generally overlooked and undrafted by the fantasy community despite knowing he was going to start the season. Then he ripped off two of the aforementioned 100 yard games back-to-back to start the season.

However Parker struggled when the Steelers were up against good defenses or against an offense that puts up a ton of points (and thus was relegated to an air attack). Roethlisberger was injured last season but only two "bad" games came at this expense (Parker was injured during one as well as not playing in another Ben-less contest).

Even if Parker gets goal line carries I don't think he's capable of doing much. It certainly will net him extra TDs when the Steelers play bad defenses but I think the problem will still stand against the better teams and Pittsburgh will use a pass attack down deep (and thus the reason to semi-target Heath Miller this year).

Just some food for thought.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Joeybagadonuts » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:06 pm

Cower has said this repeatedly all summer long. To me it doesn't increase FWPs value because it's all a lot of words at this point. Nothing is to keep him from saying Vernon Hayes is looking fantastic tomorrow.
This is meaningless until you see Willie push it in from the one yard line in a preseason game...atleast.
Joeybagadonuts
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk