How many FF Champs play the matchups vs. playN the studs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How many FF Champs play the matchups vs. playN the studs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many FF Champs play the matchups vs. playN the studs?

Postby tc » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:07 pm

To all you previous FF Champs. Would you say, playing the stud each and every week or play the matchups each and every week, will guarantee you a W? So far I've been playing the stud over the match ups and I'm 2-1 in a big money league. what do you guys think?
tc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby yoda83 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:24 pm

really, it all depends, but barring injury or something crazy, i generally start my studs and play the matchup game w/ my fringe players (3rd,4th RB/WR, DEF, etc.). and i'm more apt to play matchups later in the year as it becomes a little easier to guestimate.

but i've been helped and hurt both ways. just part of the agony and ecstacy of head-to-head fantasy football.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:30 pm

I always start my studs. I consider a stud, one who is in the top 10 on almost every cheat sheet. And it is sometime hard to predict matchups.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:31 pm

I played the matchup last week and picked up Green Bay's defense against Arizona... They got me 3 points... Go with your studs...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Andy1234 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:44 pm

Go with the Studs, I usually only play match-ups on bye weeks and sometimes with 3rd or 4th WR and UTIL pos.

If it matters--
I have won every Fantasy football league I've ever Joined (Although I just started last year and won both the leagues i was in-This year I'm 1st in 2 more and T-2nd in my last one)
Stewie: [hitting on some co-eds] I must say, the most recent campus sporting event was quite spectacular.
Co-ed: Aw. Are you in a fraternity, little boy?
Stewie: Not yet, but I'm thinking of joining I Felta Thigh.
Andy1234
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:53 pm

I like yoda's thinking,play your studs and play the matchups with your lesser players,at least until the matchups become a little clearer later in the season.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:56 pm

Somewhat depends on your definition of 'stud' and how good your backups are. I'll probably be benching Edge next week (even if fully healthy) against Tampa in favor of Moe. Last year in the playoffs I started both K. Rob and Tony Fisher (Ahman was out) over Moulds (doesn't sound like much of a reach, but K-Rob wasn't as hyped back then). I also started Mike Clould when Priest went down (we won't talk about that one).

There are some real 'studs' that I would never consider benching against anyone (Owens/Harrison/Moss at WR for example). 90%+ of the time, I have clear starters and stick with them.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:54 pm

I only play the matchups if I have two players that are pretty close in talent.....

I never bench the guys I consider studs barring bye weeks and injuries.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby AcumenJay » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:09 pm

Gotta start the studs. I do matchups with my fringe players as well. It's really a numbers game. For players that are well known and consistant, you have to take into consideration the numbers they've put up throughout the past seasons. Fast and slow starts usually even out. For prospect players it is more of a challenge because you don't know how much they will break out and how much defenses will adjust to them. This is where the winners are separated from the losers. Matchups tend not to completely work out in the long run. When it comes to probabilities, the likelihood of choosing a breakout game for a Non-Stud for every week very low. Consistancy is much more important. I'd rather get around 13pts out of a stud every week then get 25pts one week then 5pts then 3pts. I'm sure everyone has there own approach though. I'm just telling you what has worked for me. So you know, I am the reigning champion in my league;-D
AcumenJay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Lushcrush » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:38 pm

Studs are players who score regardless of the matchup. You play them no questions asked. Thats why you drafted 'em. The trick is to find a sleeper matchup with the fringe players from time to time.
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk