Do not auto-draft. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do not auto-draft.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do not auto-draft.

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:21 pm

This is an old recurring story for some of you.

I couldn't make the draft for an NFL.com league I joined on a lark. I set up the top 30 or so picks, assuming that I'd have time to get back in and fill out another 60 or so today. That didn't happen.

Luckily I was the first pick in a 12 person league, so my roster starts with LT2, LaMont Jordan, and Chad Johnson. Then it starts getting weird. Yes folks, I took Bulger over FWP or JLewis. I have Ron Dayne. I have Vince Young.

If you thought you could squeak by with auto-draft, kill yourself.

Luckily it's a BS league and I really did it for mock draft purposes (which obviously I failed to live up to). There were 3 people in there drafting live and the others were all auto-pilot. That means that in round 1, the following players were taken: Carson Palmer, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Matt Hasselbeck. Round 2 McNabb, Westbrook, Eli Manning, and the Bills Defense all went before Steven Jackson, Edge, and Steve Smith.

Do not auto-draft if the results have any meaning to you (in terms of "what will my real league look like" or in terms of "I intend to play this team.") Because of the way 75% of the league drafted, I am absolutely certain that it's going to be ghosted by most of the teams, so none of this matters, but I found it interesting, and thought I'd mention it.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:33 pm

Can't tell you how many times even 1 or 2 people not being there for the draft has sucked big time.

Sounds like a sucky situation. I'm playing in a public league this year for real for the first time and it's going to be interesting. Our draft is this Sunday and I sent out an email a couple days ago, haven't heard back yet from anyone. I'll probably end up drafting alone.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Well, I thought this was a league of people who knew each other, and that I was the odd man out. So I got the wrong impression. When I was able to check the league and see the results, it became pretty clear that this isn't a league that's going to be played for real. So I'm not worried about anything, but man, it would SUCK if I let the popular rankings choose my picks. I mean, I assumed that middle to late round popular rankings have to suck, because those are all about filling out your roster... I had no idea that early rounds would be so hosed!

Just a warning for anyone else who might be as short sighted about this stuff as I was. :P

Real draft is Saturday, and it looks like I have 10th pick in a 10 person $$ league. zzzzzzzzsucks.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kilroy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:00 pm

The $$$ League I was in is hosted on nfl.com. This year they had the brilliant idea of changing from a live draft to an automated one (and doubling the buy-in, no less) Seems some of the owners felt that they were at too much of a "disadvantage" after live drafts because some other owners would actually do a little research and not make incredibly boneheaded picks (EXAMPLE: Byron Leftwich at 1.7 last year). So to "level the playing field" they figured they'd just suck any skill involved from the league. I walked, but after winning the first year and placing second the next and coming out $500 in the black.

Back on point, NFL.com's auto-rankings are COMPLETELY FUBAR. QB Heavy to the extreme. And the ADP doesn't help you either, because it counts the autodrafts, leaving you with the same mess. I'm in a couple nfl.com leagues this year, and I'll d**n sure "be" at the draft. The people that aren't just make it easier for me.

I will NEVER Auto-Draft. Never Have. Never Will.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 am

Eh. I'm very anti-autodraft since it doesn't let you go with the flow of the draft and do the value picks. But I am roasting some guys in a baseball roto league that I autodrafted since I couldn't make the draft day. Just put in 90 guys that I liked and it worked out. So it's not impossible... just really unlikely.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:08 am

With an auto draft do not be afraid to over reach. I typically take several guy and just put them on the DO NOT DRAFT list...even though in reality you would take them at some point, but I dont trust the computer to make that decision. I would rather have the computer overreach on every pick in the first 5 rounds and get guys I like.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:34 am

Not a fan of auto draft... but if you put in your own custom draft list... not sure of the issue you guys are explaining (e.g. drafting QBs in the 1st 2 rounds).

Sure you might come out with 6 RBs and 3 QBs (or something funky)... but you can always trade them later.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JeRmZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:00 am

I have never done an Auto-Draft but I'm using FoxSports this year for my FF league and have been reading they are having some problems with Live Drafts going off flawless so I'm a bit worried.

Can some one explain HOW the HECK you set up pre-rankings so you don't end up with a mess like 6 QB's 1 RB and 5 DEF?
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:40 am

on yahoo the computer will take the top player on your list until that starting position is filled. It does not know the difference if it filled your 2nd running spot with Willie Parker or Ron Dayne. So make sure you take guys OUT of the draft list all together that it could even conceivably put in a starting roster. It then basically repeats the steps for your bench. So you basically get two complete starting rosters including 2 Kicker/2 Defenses.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JeRmZ » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:43 am

OH DAMN!

I guess I better just hope and pray that the site doesn't give me any trouble.

Does anyone know a site that will give me an Overall Ranking based on my league settings to where I could basically Copy and Paste that list into my rankings list? Of course moving a few players here and there?
JeRmZ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk