When drafting in multiple leagues..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

When drafting in multiple leagues.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

When drafting in multiple leagues.....

Postby jnjtk555 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:32 pm

I was wondering whether or not those of you who often participate in multiple league draft the same players when the opportunity as well as circumstances present themselves. Specifically for the mid round picks, like say 4-8. I guess picking the same player may seem natural, but to me it seemingly sets you up for a migrane headache affecting all your squads. But perhaps i'm making to much of this....anyone care to weight in?
"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart and lean not to thine understanding"
jnjtk555
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BobDigi » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:35 pm

My opinion is this. If you are drafting these leagues to actively participate in them and be competitive, draft the best way you know how, take the best players available, fill out your positions, etc.

If you have the 5th pick in the 2nd round and Ronnie Brown somehow falls to you there, are you gonna pass him up because you took him in another league?

In the 5th round of a draft, if Boldin is there but you have him in 3 other leagues, do you pass him up to get a guy like Plaxico instead?

Im just saying, draft smart in every league, and you will likely end up with some repeat players on your rosters, but if they were smart picks, don't sweat them.
BobDigi Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kilroy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 pm

I have guys that for whatever reason ("sleeper" or no) I want to target, and will pick those guys whenever possible. However, I won't reach for them just for the sake of getting them any more than I would pass on a player because he's already on a team (or two, or six) of mine. Whichever league I'm in, I'm in to win. Period.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby onnestabe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:41 pm

I don't try to avoid players for the sole reason that I have them in other leagues, and I don't try to get the same players. It just so happens that I end up getting a lot of the same players because of differences in my opinions of players as compared to others'. If the other owners are down on a guy, they will ultimately fall to me, so I end up with them in a lot of different leagues.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:23 am

I dont let who I've taken in other leagues influence my drafting. However each year there are a couple players I usually target as steals, and end up on most if not all of my teams.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:44 am

onnestabe wrote:I don't try to avoid players for the sole reason that I have them in other leagues, and I don't try to get the same players. It just so happens that I end up getting a lot of the same players because of differences in my opinions of players as compared to others'. If the other owners are down on a guy, they will ultimately fall to me, so I end up with them in a lot of different leagues.

that sums up my feelings

i do like it when i end up with a few of the same top players though...that way i'm not rooting for every single player in the league...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:53 am

it all really depends. like danielrp said, i wont avoid people because i have them in other leagues, and i wont target them for the same reason. take the best player available in each league.

however, i did excessively target Heath Miller a bit this year :-)
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:14 am

I don't go out of my way to grab the same players, but it is nice if you're able to. If it's my pick and it's between a guy I have in another league and some other player and they're basically ranked the same, I'm taking the guy I have in the other league. Gets way too confusing and you end up rooting for the guy in the league you care about the most.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:39 am

Mine is pretty much the same as Abe and Mad. If I like 2 guys and have an early pick, in each league I would take a different player, but the later rounds I will end up with a few guys on multiple teams
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:52 am

If I have a tough time deciding between two players, and I already have one on another team, I'll usually go with the other. This is really only in the earlier (1-4ish) rounds though. It would really suck to have a single injury hurt several teams.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk