Pluto Demoted to "Dwarf Planet" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pluto Demoted to "Dwarf Planet"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:12 am

knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
wasnt it just recently that Pluto was closer to us than Neptune due to that silly orbit it has?

Yes! This just happened, between the 1970s and the 1990s. Pluto's orbit took it inside the orbital path of Neptune's, making it the "8th" planet for about 20 years. It's back outside Neptune's orbit now, and will be for something like 200 more years when it does it again.

That explains a lot, I can't wait for it to happen again. ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:06 am

Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
wasnt it just recently that Pluto was closer to us than Neptune due to that silly orbit it has?

Yes! This just happened, between the 1970s and the 1990s. Pluto's orbit took it inside the orbital path of Neptune's, making it the "8th" planet for about 20 years. It's back outside Neptune's orbit now, and will be for something like 200 more years when it does it again.

Yeah, like you could really live for 200 more years.

Whatever.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:14 am

josebach wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Whatever.

He totaly could, he just has to hook up with David Copperfield first and get some of his magic water. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:40 am

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Whatever.

He totaly could, he just has to hook up with David Copperfield first and get some of his magic water. :-b
yeah or maybe I could get in a time machine and go to the future ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:46 am

knapplc wrote:
thatonepoorkid wrote:Did you guys know there are 3 dwarf planets?

Ceres
Pluto
and
2003 UB 313 (xena)

Maybe its well known knowlage but i had never heard of them

Xena is the object that caused all this uproar. It's further out than Pluto but larger (according to the amount of light it reflects - this could be in error if its surface is made of ice). Both Xena and Pluto are Kuiper Belt objects and Ceres is an asteroid (see earlier post). Pluto is so far out there that it's hard to conceive of it being part of the same solar system as the rest of the planets.

Here's the relative distances of the planets from the Sun (in millions of miles):

Mercury - 36
Venus - 67.2
Earth - 93
Mars – 141
*Ceres – 257
Jupiter – 483
Saturn – 886
Uranus – 1,783
Neptune – 2,793
*Pluto – 3,672
*2003 UB 313 – 9,021

Both Pluto and Xena have wildly “eccentric” orbits:

No planet or planetary body orbits the sun in an exactly circular orbit, but both Pluto and Xena are quite cockeyed to the plane of the ecliptic. Pluto is also the only one of the traditional nine planets to have a retrograde orbit, meaning it orbits backwards in relation to the other planets.

Man, I could talk about this stuff for hours. I really dig astronomy! ;-D ;-D ;-D

I'm just wondering, if Xena was found in 2003, how can they know it's orbit? And if they did, isn't the orbit going to take a couple centuries to go around once? And if that's true, they've been tracking it for that long? How do they know it's orbit? :-?
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:47 am

Redskins Win wrote:
Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Whatever.

yeah or maybe I could get in a time machine and go to the future ;-D

My Delorean is parked outside.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:00 am

WickedSmaat wrote: I'm just wondering, if Xena was found in 2003, how can they know it's orbit? And if they did, isn't the orbit going to take a couple centuries to go around once? And if that's true, they've been tracking it for that long? How do they know it's orbit? :-?

They only have to observe it for a few days to get a grasp of its orbit. That tells them the direction and speed of the "planet." They use formulas developed by Kepler and Newton to work out the rest.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:08 am

knapplc wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote: I'm just wondering, if Xena was found in 2003, how can they know it's orbit? And if they did, isn't the orbit going to take a couple centuries to go around once? And if that's true, they've been tracking it for that long? How do they know it's orbit? :-?

They only have to observe it for a few days to get a grasp of its orbit. That tells them the direction and speed of the "planet." They use formulas developed by Kepler and Newton to work out the rest.

don't forget tycho brahe. ;-)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:13 am

moonhead wrote:
knapplc wrote:

don't forget tycho brahe. ;-)

Brahe couldn't calculate his way out of a wet paper bag. I don't even have him in my top ten, to be honest with you. His stats are all based on the system, not on his individual talent. I've got Newton at 1a, Kepler at 1b and then Pythagorus, Pascal, Fibonacci make the next tier.

Seriously, I think Brahe's medial isn't fully healed from that carpal he had, and I doubt he's going to come close to last season's numbers with that quill. He's bound to go down again.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby danleroi22 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:18 am

josebach wrote:
danleroi22 wrote:What??!? Pluto??!? My beloved planet!!!

NOOOOOO! They can't do this can they???

:-b

Classic... simply classic.
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk