Pluto Demoted to "Dwarf Planet" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Pluto Demoted to "Dwarf Planet"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:23 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Tiki wrote:How did this make 6 pages?

Because, since 1930 (I think) there have always been 9 planets in our system. Now, there are 8. My world is crashing all around me and I don't know what to do now....

Unless you live on Pluto, we here on Earth have nothing to complain about. :-b
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Tiki wrote:How did this make 6 pages?

Because, since 1930 (I think) there have always been 9 planets in our system. Now, there are 8. My world is crashing all around me and I don't know what to do now....

Unless you live on Pluto, we here on Earth have nothing to complain about. :-b

I don't deal with change well SW. !+) ;-) :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:06 am

Don't say Pluto, say 134340

Wed Sep 13, 6:30 AM ET

PARIS (AFP) - Once the proud outermost planet of the Solar System, Pluto has been consigned to the status of a small-town telephone number after the world's paramount astronomical body tore up its membership of the cosmic A-list.

The enigmatic, icy world spotted in 1930 has been given the official monicker of 134340 Pluto and lumped among 136,562 asteroids and other small bodies by the Minor Planet Center (MPC), part of the Paris-headquartered International Astronomical Union (IAU).

Pluto's satellites, Charon, Nix and Hydra, have been numbered 134340 I, 134340 II and 134340 III respectively under the latest minor planet list, compiled on September 7.

The IAU last month declared Pluto to be a "dwarf planet" that should not belong among the hallowed ranks of Mercury, Earth, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

The organisation is now drawing up a "dwarf planet" catalogue whose initial members will include Pluto, the large asteroid Ceres and a distant object, 2003 UB313, unofficially named Xena.

Until the IAU meeting, 2003 UB313 had laid claim to being the Solar System's 10th planet.

Rebel astronomers are circulating a petition, contesting the "dwarf planet" definition as unscientific and the decision on Pluto as undemocratic. They intend to hold a conference next year that, in their view, will overhaul the definition of a planet.

Pluto's status had long been contested by astronomers who said its tiny size, odd orbit and orbital plane precluded it from joining the other acknowledged planets.

By the new IAU yardstick, a planet has "cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit" -- in other words, it is massive enough to wield a gravity that clears rocks and other debris on its orbital path.

:,-(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk