Ben Watson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ben Watson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:44 pm

moonhead wrote:does anyone remember 2 years ago when daniel graham had like 5 touchdowns in the first 4 weeks of the season? and then he had 1 for the rest of the year and almost no yards.

Givens, Branch, and Patten were all still there too.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:57 pm

Azrael wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Azrael wrote:
xted30 wrote:Maybe I'm partial because I waited to draft Watson, but I think he's in for a great season, especially with Branch out. He has good speed, no I don't think 8-10 TD's is completely crazy as he might break a long one every now and then. I think he'll have somewhere around 700 yds and 7 TD's when all is said and done. I'll take that all day every day from a tight end in the 10th round.

Yeah, people keep saying that "the Pats spread the ball around so much". Maybe so, but if Watson is going to act as No. 1 option on the Patriots, that's still good for 70-80 catches, 700-800 yards and 6 or 7TDs. I'll take that any day for a double digit round pick.

Check current drafts, Watson has skyrocketed up into the middle rounds. I see him going ahead of Chris Cooley in some instances (a guy who has already reached the 700/7 range).

I still see Watson going in the 11th at Antsports and in the 13th at FFcalculator. Assuming Branch leaves, that means the Pats will have lost their top 2 pass catchers this year. Sure they "spread it around" but you still need the talent to get open. Who is going to step up to replace the void of 140 catches that Givens and Branch had last year. Other than Troy Brown, who is 35, Watson has by far the best combonation of talent/experience rapport with Brady. I don't think the Pats will often be running 2 TEs into their pass plays so I don't think Graham or any other TE is much of a factor against Watson. Who else is there? Caldwell? brand new Jackson? too green Kevin Faulk will get his share but no more than usual. They may have 3 guys this year who catch 30 balls but I think Watson will be leaned on to carry a very mediocre (if that) group of receiver. If though they spread it around, he'll catch the most balls and while that doesn't amount to very good WR #s, they will be excellent TE #s.

I couldnt agree more. I am so tired of hearing, "Brady spreads the ball around too much" Hes got no one left to throw to!!! In previous years he had decent wideouts. This years he going to have rely on Troy "i was good 5 years ago" Brown and Reche
"i play real good in practice" Caldwel. Watson is a big target whos is far and away the best pass catcher on that team. I dont know how you can even argue that Watsons numbers wont jump dramatically this year.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:16 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:
Azrael wrote:
xted30 wrote:Maybe I'm partial because I waited to draft Watson, but I think he's in for a great season, especially with Branch out. He has good speed, no I don't think 8-10 TD's is completely crazy as he might break a long one every now and then. I think he'll have somewhere around 700 yds and 7 TD's when all is said and done. I'll take that all day every day from a tight end in the 10th round.

Yeah, people keep saying that "the Pats spread the ball around so much". Maybe so, but if Watson is going to act as No. 1 option on the Patriots, that's still good for 70-80 catches, 700-800 yards and 6 or 7TDs. I'll take that any day for a double digit round pick.

Check current drafts, Watson has skyrocketed up into the middle rounds. I see him going ahead of Chris Cooley in some instances (a guy who has already reached the 700/7 range).

I still see Watson going in the 11th at Antsports and in the 13th at FFcalculator. Assuming Branch leaves, that means the Pats will have lost their top 2 pass catchers this year. Sure they "spread it around" but you still need the talent to get open. Who is going to step up to replace the void of 140 catches that Givens and Branch had last year. Other than Troy Brown, who is 35, Watson has by far the best combonation of talent/experience rapport with Brady. I don't think the Pats will often be running 2 TEs into their pass plays so I don't think Graham or any other TE is much of a factor against Watson. Who else is there? Caldwell? brand new Jackson? too green Kevin Faulk will get his share but no more than usual. They may have 3 guys this year who catch 30 balls but I think Watson will be leaned on to carry a very mediocre (if that) group of receiver. If though they spread it around, he'll catch the most balls and while that doesn't amount to very good WR #s, they will be excellent TE #s.

I couldnt agree more. I am so tired of hearing, "Brady spreads the ball around too much" Hes got no one left to throw to!!! In previous years he had decent wideouts. This years he going to have rely on Troy "i was good 5 years ago" Brown and Reche
"i play real good in practice" Caldwel. Watson is a big target whos is far and away the best pass catcher on that team. I dont know how you can even argue that Watsons numbers wont jump dramatically this year.

Troy Brown took a backseat to younger WRs in recent years, but he is still a solid player. Doug Gabriel was just signed. Branch may still end up playing. Caldwell and Chad Jackson can make some plays occasionally. Daniel Graham is forgotten but still on the roster. Pat's picked up multiple TEs in the draft. Kevin Faulk can catch the ball. They beefed up the running game with a 1st round pick.. I just don't understand the "Ben Watson is the #1 sole target" on the offense argument. Sure he figures to be a big part of the passing game this year, but is Brady really going to develop a goto guy this year for the first time ever?

Watson had a couple of big games last year, but he only ended up with like 25 catches? Honestly, even with what the Pat's have now, I can see about 8 different possible guys that will end up in the reception category each and every week. Can't underestimate that..
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk