Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano??

Postby Gold Rush » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am

I know that they play in different sports (obviously :-B ) but both of them were really looked over in drafts based on the fact that they both went to different, and supposably worse, "environments". I don't know how many of you go over to the baseball forums, but just about everyone was down on Soriano for plenty of reasons, like...

1. That his average was on the decline
2. He plays in an extreme pitchers park,
3. He's going to a worse team
4. No lineup protection, etc.

Now everyone has the "same" reasons to be down on James...

1. He is going to a worse team
2. His offensive line is worse
3. He's getting a bit up there in age, but I don't think 29 is too bad (just turned 29 Aug. 1st)

The people who let Soriano fall to the 2nd round solely on the fact that he had switched teams are kicking themselves for doing so. Could the same be in store for James??

Reasons to be high on James:

1. He plays in a dynamic offense
2. He is a very good recieving running back, and should see more touches that way
3. The offense will be on the field more cause of a bad defense, so he should see a ton of carries
4. Last year the Cardinals only had 2 rushing TD's because they didn't have anyone to take the goaline carries, they now have a big, strong RB in James that can do that
Gold Rush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano??

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:22 am

Gold Rush wrote:3. The offense will be on the field more cause of a bad defense, so he should see a ton of carries

I think you are getting this one backwards. Also, the quality of one's team is much more important to a RB in the NFL than to a baseball player.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano??

Postby Gold Rush » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:33 am

Bowie wrote:
Gold Rush wrote:3. The offense will be on the field more cause of a bad defense, so he should see a ton of carries

I think you are getting this one backwards. Also, the quality of one's team is much more important to a RB in the NFL than to a baseball player.

I'm saying that the defense will allow quick scores, and Arizona will give more carries to James and be more of a time possession team, even though with those wideouts, they have quick score ability. I'd expect an increase in Arizona's time of possession this season.

The quality of the team yes, but whose to say that the Colts now have THAT much better of an offense? and whose to say that the Colts have THAT much better of a team than the Cards? I know that the Colts are better, but the Cards are a serious sleeper this season, and there season performance could rely on how well Edge does in the system. But with Edge gone in the Colts offense, they are less dynamic, and the Cards may even have the better offense. A star Running Back can do that for a team
Bold Predictions:

Edgerrin James rushes for 1,500 yards and 10 TD's in that Cardinals offense

Kevin Jones will have more value this season than Carnell Williams regardless of draft position
Gold Rush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:46 am

I see what your saying here and to an extent i agree with you. I am fairly high on Edge going into the season but im not so sure your analogy is a sound one. I dont see how you can really compare the two players situations other than the fact that people are down on these two guys that were allstars the year before.

The major difference between the Colts and the Cards is the offensive lines. Indy has one of the best in the league and the Cards have one of the worst. This will most defintely have an effect on Edge's performance.

You also claim that The Zona defense is horrible and that because of this the running game should get more carries. First of all that defense isnt as bad as its made out to be and secondly if a defense is horrible that almost never increases an RBs workload. Can you think of any situation last year where a stud back was on a team that had a horrid defense?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bellings » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 am

I think the situation is very similar, actually. Soriano is any absolutely amazing ballplayer, and people were mostly down on him for reasons out of his control (like his team, home ballpark...). I think that the point is that whenever an athelete has this much talent, they are going to do well, no matter where you put them.
bellings
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gold Rush » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:22 am

Can you think of any situation last year where a stud back was on a team that had a horrid defense?

Easy, Larry Johnson...
Bold Predictions:

Edgerrin James rushes for 1,500 yards and 10 TD's in that Cardinals offense

Kevin Jones will have more value this season than Carnell Williams regardless of draft position
Gold Rush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:06 am

Gold Rush wrote:
Can you think of any situation last year where a stud back was on a team that had a horrid defense?

Easy, Larry Johnson...

And Johnson had one of the best o-lines in the league.

Edge finished around #5 last year (#7 in both my Yahoo leagues) and played on a team with a great o-line and a good defense. He now moves to a team with a bad o-line and a sub-par defense and everyone wonders why he is slipping to around #10 in most drafts (pick #8.0 average in Yahoo drafts)? Of course he is slipping, he was #5 and he left a great situation for a poor one.
Last edited by Bowie on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:11 am

You also have to remember that while Manning never missed time with injury, Warner is a lock to go down at some point. Edge will spend at least some of his time this year running behind a poor o-line with a rookie QB. This is not the recipe for RB fantasy success.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ColtsFan27 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:06 pm

I disagree with Bowie. Edge is the best blocking back in the league. I think he plays a huge role in keeping Warner healthy this year. Think about all the blitz's he picked up in Indy to save Manning from geting sacked or worse yet hurt. Edge will do alright in Zona, not what we're used to, but 1000+ and 7 should be pretty easy for him! ;-D

If Emmitt could do it in Zona at his age, Edge will be alright!
ColtsFan27
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby giants! » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:17 pm

ColtsFan27 wrote:I disagree with Bowie. Edge is the best blocking back in the league. I think he plays a huge role in keeping Warner healthy this year. Think about all the blitz's he picked up in Indy to save Manning from geting sacked or worse yet hurt. Edge will do alright in Zona, not what we're used to, but 1000+ and 7 should be pretty easy for him! ;-D

If Emmitt could do it in Zona at his age, Edge will be alright!

And how does blocking for the qb help his fantasy value?
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk