Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Edgerrin James this years Alfonso Soriano??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:18 pm

If Edge only puts up 1000+ and 7 TDs this year, I think we can all agree that would be a disappointment given where he is being drafted.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby My team is injured » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 pm

Bowie wrote:
Gold Rush wrote:
Can you think of any situation last year where a stud back was on a team that had a horrid defense?

Easy, Larry Johnson...

And Johnson had one of the best o-lines in the league.

Edge finished around #5 last year (#7 in both my Yahoo leagues) and played on a team with a great o-line and a good defense. He now moves to a team with a bad o-line and a sub-par defense and everyone wonders why he is slipping to around #10 in most drafts (pick #8.0 average in Yahoo drafts)? Of course he is slipping, he was #5 and he left a great situation for a poor one.

Lamont Jordan played on a team with a subpar o-line and subpar defense and still excelled, especially in PPR leagues..

with that being said, I agree that edge should be knocked down a few spots.. it's not like he's falling to pick 20... I have him as about the 9th best RB and personally would draft holt and steve smith ahead of him but that's just my strategy this year...
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I like the Jordan comparison, although Edge is more talented then Jordan. Last year Jordan finished 16th in my league (8th out of RBs) in total points. Edge can better that by a couple of places, I would think, assuming age, salary, and losing don't hurt his performance.
Last edited by Bowie on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby monkey69 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Poor analogy

-- Soriano doesn't need a collection of 300-lb linemen running interference at the plate to hit a home-run
monkey69
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:17 pm

monkey69 wrote:Poor analogy

-- Soriano doesn't need a collection of 300-lb linemen running interference at the plate to hit a home-run

yah. and edge doesn't have to run 12 yards instead of 10 for a first down in 'zona. also take a look at big papi's production throughout the season and compare to the last few games without manny.

the comparison is a little strained, obviously, but not entirely off-base.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:25 pm

I took it more as a fun example than a realistic analogy. :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I took it more as a fun example than a realistic analogy. :-?

To me it sounded like an Edge owner trying to justify using an early pick.... :-b
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gold Rush » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:29 pm

Matthias wrote:
monkey69 wrote:Poor analogy

yah. and edge doesn't have to run 12 yards instead of 10 for a first down in 'zona. also take a look at big papi's production throughout the season and compare to the last few games without manny.

the comparison is a little strained, obviously, but not entirely off-base.

I wasn't comparing them, I'm just saying that they each move to lesser teams, have everyone agianst them, and yet both of them could produce big time (one already has)

All I'm saying is that Soriano was always a top fantasy pick, and Edge was always a top fantasy pick. Now they both slip big time in drafts because of a change of scenery, and Soriano has payed big dividends for the guys who took him late, Edge could have the same kind of impact for teams that take the "risk" on him
Bold Predictions:

Edgerrin James rushes for 1,500 yards and 10 TD's in that Cardinals offense

Kevin Jones will have more value this season than Carnell Williams regardless of draft position
Gold Rush
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:53 pm

Gold Rush wrote:Bold Predictions:

Edgerrin James rushes for 1,500 yards and 10 TD's in that Cardinals offense

Edge rushing 2004: 1548 yards and 9 TDs
Edge rushing 2005: 1506 yards and 13 TDs

So you aren't saying that the drop-off won't be too big. You are saying that his rushing numbers will be right in line with his last two years as a Colt? We'll see, I guess.
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Humpback » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:00 pm

Yeah, if he "only" goes for 1000 and 7, that would certainly be a poor season for him. I expect his rushing numbers to decrease by 200-300 yards, but I think he'll make most of that up with an additional 100 receiving yards and maybe even an extra TD or two. The Colts had 5 rushing TD's last year that weren't from Edge, I don't think Arizona will do that. I don't expect identical numbers, but only slightly lower. Time will tell...
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk