Vote # of teams should make playoffs in 12 team league... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vote # of teams should make playoffs in 12 team league...

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 team league: # of teams that should make the playoffs.

36%
55%
10%

Total votes : 42

Vote # of teams should make playoffs in 12 team league...

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 pm

What is the standard number of teams that that should make the playoffs in a 12 team league. I joined a league, and I just noticed that 8 teams are going to make the playoffs. I'm putting up a stink cause I think that is pathetic that 2/3s of the teams are going to make the playoffs. The Commish is telling me that is pretty standard in a 12 team league. What do people at the Cafe believe?
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:27 pm

Finish in the top half of the league and you get a shot at the title. Anything less and you don't deserve a "second season".

My $$$ 12 team league uses 3 divisions. Top 2 Division Winners get earn a bye in the 1st round of the playoffs (Week14). The 3rd Division Winner plays the worst Wild Card team. Teams are reseeded after the first round. Everyone in the league thinks this is fair.

"How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of Gore, Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your Overlords!" - Zep
Fireball Express
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:44 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Finish in the top half of the league and you get a shot at the title. Anything less and you don't deserve a "second season".

My $$$ 12 team league uses 3 divisions. Top 2 Division Winners get earn a bye in the 1st round of the playoffs (Week14). The 3rd Division Winner plays the worst Wild Card team. Teams are reseeded after the first round. Everyone in the league thinks this is fair.

This is the same set up as the leagues I'm in. I'd be more willing to have only 4 playoff teams than going to 8.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:49 pm

my vote would go with 6.half the league should deserve to make it. 4 is to few with that size and i think 8 is to many. splittlg it seems about right to me and would be what i would want.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Crippler » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:35 am

6 or 4, I'm leaning towards 6

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:40 am

Fireball Express wrote:Finish in the top half of the league and you get a shot at the title. Anything less and you don't deserve a "second season".

I don't like that system. You could have a horrible team, and be in a horrible division, and make the playoffs. Heck, in theory, the 9th place team could make the playoffs using that system. I'd prefer 1 division, 6 teams make it, the top two get a bye in the first round. I think 4 teams is too few in a 12 team league.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BeefSandwiches » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:12 pm

All 12-team leagues I have ever been in have worked this way - I think it is the most fair. You can't predict how difficult each division will be, so you have to take the chance. You are bound to have weaker divisions (2005 NFC West) but if everyone is in one division then you are bound to have teams with easier schedules.

There is no way to guarantee the schedules will be balanced. Three division winners and the next 3 best records, regardless of division, is the way to go.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."
- Homer J. Simpson
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mrblitz » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Voted for 4, six is too easy, making the playoffs should be an honor.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SniperShot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:58 pm

I play in a 12 team league where 8 teams make the playoffs. Always has felt like alot but it's never seemed to be that bad. Only problem is the playoffs have to start no later than week 13.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:27 pm

SniperShot wrote:I play in a 12 team league where 8 teams make the playoffs. Always has felt like alot but it's never seemed to be that bad. Only problem is the playoffs have to start no later than week 13.

I'm not sure how you figure that out.

The way it would work in our 8 playoff team league is Week 14: 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc. Week 15: winners play each other. Week 16: The final 2 play each other. We don't play in week 17.

The way it would work in our 6 playoff team league is Week 14: 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. 1 and 2 get a bye. Week 15: 4 remaining play each other. Week 16: final 2 play each other. with 17 off.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk