Vote # of teams should make playoffs in 12 team league... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vote # of teams should make playoffs in 12 team league...

Moderator: Football Moderators

12 team league: # of teams that should make the playoffs.

36%
55%
10%

Total votes : 42

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:17 pm

yeah, 8 teams should take only 3 weeks (14-16) to do.

Unless you really want to reward the top teams, then you could do

Week 13: 5 vs. 8, 6 vs. 7
Week 14: Game A: 3 vs. 6/7, Game B: 4 vs. 5/8
Week 15: 1 vs. Game B winner, 2 vs. Game A winner
Week 16: Championship.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kellys Heroes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am

8 makes the league more competitive (everyone has a shot until the final weeks).. 6 is alright.. But a couple of owners will give up by week 10... and w/ 4 Too many will give up by Mid-season...
Kellys Heroes
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:01 am

i went with 4, but in my 12 team we have 5 make it. 3 division winners and two W/C...the 3 div winners get a bye and two W/C play the 1st week of the playoffs

6 isnt terrible, but 8 is a joke
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:16 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i went with 4, but in my 12 team we have 5 make it. 3 division winners and two W/C...the 3 div winners get a bye and two W/C play the 1st week of the playoffs

6 isnt terrible, but 8 is a joke

Eight is a joke. If you have eight teams make the playoffs you might as well not have a regular season.

My 12-teamer does six in the Championship Bracket, six in the Toilet Bowl. Top two division winners get first round byes, while the third division winner plays the weakest of the three wildcard teams.

The Toilet Bowl winner gets $5. That way they have something to play for, and it keeps the rest of the league somewhat entertained while the rest of us go for the big money.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:26 am

Honestly, if you don't want to join a league with 8 playoff spots, then switch leagues. It's silly to join a league that has its rules set and then immediately put up a stink about those rules. Either join and don't worry about it or leave the league and join a different league with rules you like. And if you really think it should be changed and you already drafted, then propose it next off-season so it can be voted on. personally, i think 4 is too few, 6 is just right, and 8 a little much. But i'd prefer 8 over 4. just my 2 cents
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PyRo8 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:42 am

i like 4. i play yahoo so if u have 6, the playoff weeks would be 15, 16, 17. not too fond of week 17 for the finals because a lot of players have off that week.
PyRo8
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:07 am

i voted 4. the moves you make over the course of 14 weeks should matter more than if your star running back had some bad eggs for breakfast in one week.

and quite frankly, i would rather have 2 make it than 8.

as far as lost interest, play for pride. or if you can't find people like that, set up weekly prizes for high scorer.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:29 am

I've been in this league for many years now. It is a league of friends basically. The league hasn't drafted yet, so thats not a concern. I don't like the idea of having 8 playoff teams, but I won't change leagues because of that. It just means that if I get 7th or 8th in that league, I will feel like I didn't earn a playoff spot. Just the same, I'm going to lobby to get it changed. If enough people in the league feel the same, he will change it.

Also, I feel obliged to stay in the league anyway, since I was champion last year.

I'm surprised at how many people voted for 4 teams making the playoffs. Any league with less than 12 teams should only have 4 teams making the playoffs, but I'd prefer 6 to make it in a 12 team league.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:40 am

Kellys Heroes wrote:8 makes the league more competitive (everyone has a shot until the final weeks).. 6 is alright.. But a couple of owners will give up by week 10... and w/ 4 Too many will give up by Mid-season...

Just noticed this post. This is a good point that I hadn't thought of. If it isn't changed to 6 teams, this will make me feel a little better about it too.

As with everything, its a matter of what each individual prefers. This isn't a money league, so it doesn't matter as far as an 8th place team not deserving a chance to win the pot. Still, I just feel that 2/3 of the teams making the playoffs is too much.

Thanks too everyone for posting your opinions!
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:43 am

quitesanemax wrote:
SniperShot wrote:I play in a 12 team league where 8 teams make the playoffs. Always has felt like alot but it's never seemed to be that bad. Only problem is the playoffs have to start no later than week 13.

I'm not sure how you figure that out.

The way it would work in our 8 playoff team league is Week 14: 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, etc. Week 15: winners play each other. Week 16: The final 2 play each other. We don't play in week 17.

The way it would work in our 6 playoff team league is Week 14: 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. 1 and 2 get a bye. Week 15: 4 remaining play each other. Week 16: final 2 play each other. with 17 off.
I knew there were 3 weeks involved. Weeks 14, 15, 16 are our playoff weeks. For some reason I was thinking 3 weeks needed for playoffs and season ends in week 16. Forgot week 16 counts as 1 :-b
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to Football Talk