Buy low on TO? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Buy low on TO?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 pm

FatFoot wrote:I don't see what the CJ owner being panicky or Hold owner being unconfident would have to do with buying TO low, nor do I see why the CJ owner would be panicky in the first place... are you saying that "I'd rather see if the CJ owner has flaws in his team for which I can sell him a player for CJ (etc)" or can you clarify?

I was trying to point out that if you're going to go after a top WR, you can probably get those guys, who are much safer options at reasonably similar prices.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:14 pm

I wouldn't touch this fool with a ten-foot pole. Stay away, let him be someone else's headache/nightmare.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:27 pm

maddog60 wrote:
FatFoot wrote:I don't see what the CJ owner being panicky or Hold owner being unconfident would have to do with buying TO low, nor do I see why the CJ owner would be panicky in the first place... are you saying that "I'd rather see if the CJ owner has flaws in his team for which I can sell him a player for CJ (etc)" or can you clarify?

I was trying to point out that if you're going to go after a top WR, you can probably get those guys, who are much safer options at reasonably similar prices.

CJ = inferior to TO
Holt = actually has a "real" injury

I landed on a football in the past in the same exact way as Holt, and I wasn't 100% for two months. Cracked ribs don't heal easily.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:33 am

maddog60 wrote:I was trying to point out that if you're going to go after a top WR, you can probably get those guys, who are much safer options at reasonably similar prices.

Thanks for the clarification (seriously).

I think CJ is a safer option, but I also think he's a more expensive option. CJ is going before TO in my drafts (once was my fault, I admit) and most of those I've read recently. TO's value is down from where it was at the beginning of the preseason. That's why people are talking about buy low. I think the idea of this thread is less about "going after a top WR" and more about "can I effectively steal some huge value on TO" which I think WAS possible this weekend, and may still be possible. I don't think you're getting a top WR for less than you get TO for... unexpected breakout players aside. The injury fear, the new team, last year's antics, and this year's new antics... they're dragging TO's value down.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

A personal example of TO's value decline.

Postby Peacesells » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:50 am

Over the weekend I traded Edgerin James for TO in my keeper league (10 players.) I could afford to do this because I already had Ronnie Brown, Larry Johnson and Rudi Johnson on my team.

A month ago I initiated talks with the other owner and he was willing to trade TO for Ronnie Brown and my first round pick. Obviously I wasn't going to trade a potential future stud running back for a problem 34 year old WR in a keeper league format so I declined the offer. The day of our draft...last Saturday, the other owner accepted my offer of James/my 3rd rd pick for Owens/his 4th rd pick.

You may agree/disagree with the value of this trade but I do believe that it shows that TO's value has declined the past few weeks.

Hope that helps.

Peace
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby brewmaniac » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 am

Kensat30 wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

CJ = inferior to TO
Holt = actually has a "real" injury

I landed on a football in the past in the same exact way as Holt, and I wasn't 100% for two months. Cracked ribs don't heal easily.

Who said Holt has cracked ribs? Thought it was just a bruised sternum?
brewmaniac
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:59 am

TO just isnt worth the headache IMO. i just dont think you can count on him being around come fantasy playoff time
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bowie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:21 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:TO just isnt worth the headache IMO. i just dont think you can count on him being around come fantasy playoff time

Why not? Do you really think he will get himself thrown off a second team?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:44 am

I don't buy TO at all.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby mysticphysh » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am

Bowie wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:TO just isnt worth the headache IMO. i just dont think you can count on him being around come fantasy playoff time

Why not? Do you really think he will get himself thrown off a second team?

I do. Maybe not thrown off, but at least suspended and I see it coming later in the season when the Tuna finally snaps.
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk