WEIRD scoring - need advice please! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

WEIRD scoring - need advice please!

Moderator: Football Moderators

WEIRD scoring - need advice please!

Postby mattresell » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:18 pm

I'm running a team for this girl I know on CBS Sportsline. the scoring is all jacked up. Here's the main thing I don't like:

1 point for every 10 yards for RB,WR, and QB. That's right, QB yardage counts just as much as RB and WR.

How should this change my draft focus? Everything else is fairly standard. How does this effect Bulger, Warner, Trent Green?

I've got the first pick and I'm still going with Shaun Alexander. But in the 2nd or 3rd should I get one of these high yardage guys?

Let me know what you think. I've never done a yardage league like this.
mattresell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philly Pride » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 pm

No, you should draft normally. All the QB's will be inflated equally due to this crappy scoring system.
Philly Pride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Turnip » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:24 pm

Philly Pride wrote:No, you should draft normally. All the QB's will be inflated equally due to this crappy scoring system.

Not bad advice, but that's not exactly true, when the qbs score more points per yard, it makes the difference between the QB's greater.

If you don't want to run your projections through this scoring system though, a good rule of thumb would be to value QBs like you already do for a normal league, and make adjustments if a lot of them go early. It's better to undervalue QB's than overvalue them in my experience.
Turnip
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Quarterback throwing yards are harder to predict than touchdowns so I don't think you should change the approach a whole lot. Just grab Favre late. He is good for around 4000 yards.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattresell » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:32 pm

Thanks. I just ran last year's numbers and prorated bulger and Warner over a full season. Not counting ints, here's what it looks like in total points.

Palmer - 543
Brady - 541
Bulger - 529
Warner - 524
Peyton - 515
Eli - 496
Favre - 488
Green - 486
Bledsoe - 479
Brees - 478

What's interesting is that Warner is in 4th despite only having a prorated td count 18 and Green's yardage helped make up for the fact that he only threw 17 tds.
mattresell
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vixtor » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:35 pm

mattresell wrote:Thanks. I just ran last year's numbers and prorated bulger and Warner over a full season. Not counting ints, here's what it looks like in total points.

Both of them are good injury risks (Warner in particular). Do you think other owners are smart enough to realize Favre is top 5 over an entire season? I'm guessing they don't. He should slide down where he usually does. Outstanding value if you can grab him late.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby DrSpackle » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:50 pm

One of my money leagues is set like this. Not only is it 1 pt per 10 yds passing, TD=6 pts, but there are no negative points for INTs or fumbles or sacks.

I can tell you from experience that RBs will still rule the league. The QBs kinda cancel each other out, save on the weeks where a QB will blow up for 50+ points. But don't let it alter your QB draft strategy.

The first round of last year saw 6 QBs taken. And the only owner who made the playoffs was the one who drafted Peyton. The other owners all took RBs in the first round (including me) and we all made the playoffs, nabbing our QBs in later rounds.

Don't let the scoring alter your strategy. Most weeks the QBs basically cancel each other out. ;-D
DrSpackle
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk