Dunn to get short-yardage carries - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dunn to get short-yardage carries

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dunn to get short-yardage carries

Postby andus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:00 pm

from fanball.com:
The News
Falcons head coach Jim Mora expressed confidence in Warrick Dunn's short-yardage ability. "Warrick Dunn is a good short-yardage back," Mora told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday. "You wouldn't think about that just by looking at him. One of Warrick's strengths is hitting a hole quick and hitting a crease. I feel comfortable running him on short yardage." The Falcons traded short-yardage back T.J. Duckett to the Redskins earlier this month.

Our View
Mora stopped short of saying that Dunn will get the majority of the goal line carries, but it sure appears he will based on what Mora did say. Fullback Justin Griffith will be featured when the team lines up in three wide receiver sets, and rookie rusher Jerious Norwood will be used when Dunn needs a blow.

Dunn might be poised for a Tiki/Dillon/Martin year before he completely breaks down at 32.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:01 pm

yah. this is old news. same was being said last week.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:03 pm

I've taken a chance on Dunn in several leagues hoping for this to happen. Hope he comes through for me ;-D
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:04 pm

OLD NEWS

Seriously, 5 seconds after the Duckett trade, anyone and their mother could have told you that Dunn would be getting those precious goal-line carries. Dunn's always been good enough to do it, and the other guys haven't shown anything to indicate that they'd do a better job of it.

This will be Dunn's best year as a RB, I'd bet.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:48 pm

KoopaTroopa211 wrote:OLD NEWS

Seriously, 5 seconds after the Duckett trade, anyone and their mother could have told you that Dunn would be getting those precious goal-line carries. Dunn's always been good enough to do it, and the other guys haven't shown anything to indicate that they'd do a better job of it.

Its from today actually. Dunn getting the goaline carries has really just been speculation up to thsi point. I was surprised to hear that Griffith wouldnt be getting them.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby hotdogcollarsdotcom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:23 pm

This is just Mora doing 2 things, defending his guy and throwing up a smokescreen. No way Dunn ends up getting a bunch of goalline carries.
hotdogcollarsdotcom
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 pm

hotdogcollarsdotcom wrote:This is just Mora doing 2 things, defending his guy and throwing up a smokescreen. No way Dunn ends up getting a bunch of goalline carries.

Why not? He did just fine while Duckett was injured for those few weeks last year.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:03 pm

GreatestShowOnEarth wrote:
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:OLD NEWS

Its from today actually. Dunn getting the goaline carries has really just been speculation up to thsi point. I was surprised to hear that Griffith wouldnt be getting them.

This is from a week ago.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg ... 343541.htm

Coach Jim Mora said Dunn would assume many of the goal-line opportunities given to Duckett the last three years.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby louddonkey » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:19 pm

hotdogcollarsdotcom wrote:This is just Mora doing 2 things, defending his guy and throwing up a smokescreen. No way Dunn ends up getting a bunch of goalline carries.

I've been a big fan of Dunn ever since he played at FSU. He's always been a good short yardage back, despite his size. He just happened to always be on a team with a player who was a short yardage beast (Alstott, Duckett). I see no reason why he couldn't hold the job all year given the Falcons' current roster.
louddonkey
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby aussieboy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:13 pm

As a Dunn owner i'm excited AND worried by this news.

Obviously goal line carries will increase his TD production which is good. However can he handle it? He's on the wrong side of 30, he had a career high in carries last yr, he's not exactly big, all this points to him breaking down at some point during the season.

Make sure you handcuff him!
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk