Need some serious help to settle a dispute in my keeper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Need some serious help to settle a dispute in my keeper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need some serious help to settle a dispute in my keeper

Postby stepsinsc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:57 pm

I run a 12 team keeper league. We will soon be drafting for year 2. Last year we had 2 inactive teams, and I got two friends to take them over, but they are terrible.

We must keep 3 players, with an optional 4th for a small penalty (you lose a draft pick, normally not a high one). There are no restrictions. Thus, the top 50 or so players are kept.

The 2 new owners are keeping the following players:

Team 1
Daunte Culpepper
Corey Dillon
Donald Driver
Matt Jones

Team 2
Dominick Davis
Randy Moss
Antonio Gates.

Both these teams finished in last place, so they each have the first two picks this year. The debate is about snaking versus a straight non-snaking draft.

I'm getting fed up with hearing about it from league members. The new members desperately want a normal draft, while the top 3 finishers from last year won't stop whining about doing a snaking draft.

I looked at the numbers, and the difference between snaking and straight draft means that the teams picking last are in a worse position every OTHER pick. Meaning if we did a straight draft all 12 rounds, then they would be disadvantaged in 6 of those 12 rounds relative to a snake draft. Thus, I thought we should do straight for 8 rounds, and then snake for the final 4 rounds. This would give the 2 new teams an advantage with 4 of their picks during the 8 straight rounds, which is the equivalent of how many keepers the teams could keep.

I don't know that my proposal is the solution. I don't know what the best thing to do is, and I'm getting fed up with the childish nature of managers in the league. I only want to do what's best for the league and to inject parity in it, and I desperately need help figuring it out! Please advise, especially if you have experience with this!
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Snake for the whole thing. This is how 99.4% of fantasy leagues draft.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stepsinsc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:04 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Snake for the whole thing. This is how 99.4% of fantasy leagues draft.

Okay...but these new teams are soo pathetic compared to everyone else. The available free agents in the draft pool are almost nothing! Jamal Lewis and Warrick Dunn are probably the best available players.
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:06 pm

My advice would be to do a straight "non-snaking" draft for all rounds.

Sure the teams that are at the end of the draft order are disadvantaged, but that's the whole point as long as the draft order was decided by last years reverse order of finish.

The crappy teams ideally can improve their teams to a larger capacity than can last years playoff teams.

It just makes for a more competitive keeper league. Of course the playoff teams that have the 9, 10, 11, 12 teams are going to complain if they are looking for every advantage, but their keepers should allow them a competitive edge if they carried them so far last year.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Luca Brasi » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:06 pm

snake it.

first of all who knows if the new guys will stick around next year. you don't want to upset your current, loyal, owners.

the new guys got the worst teams, that's why they draft 1st, and the best guys draft last, that's how it usually works in FF.
Luca Brasi
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Tiki Fan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:07 pm

stepsinsc wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:Snake for the whole thing. This is how 99.4% of fantasy leagues draft.

Okay...but these new teams are soo pathetic compared to everyone else. The available free agents in the draft pool are almost nothing! Jamal Lewis and Warrick Dunn are probably the best available players.

So that means the second rounds players will be lousy anyway.

Leave it a snake draft for the entire thing.
Tiki Fan
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby stepsinsc » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 pm

Luca Brasi wrote:snake it.

first of all who knows if the new guys will stick around next year. you don't want to upset your current, loyal, owners.

the new guys got the worst teams, that's why they draft 1st, and the best guys draft last, that's how it usually works in FF.

They'll definitely stick around....the 2 new owners are in many other leagues with me and are very competitive.
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 pm

I should add that I play in a keeper that uses 6 keepers year to year, so it's a slightly different situation,

But, even though I was champ 2 years ago and runner-up this year, I have to say that it's worked out well and I am still keeping my team on the top of the heap.

Also, we are able to find replacement owners when we need to and less people quit the league in the first place.
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby gablefan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:13 pm

I think anytime you have any amount of keepers other than 1 or 2, you need to do an NFL type draft. Basically you are helping the good and hurting the bad by snaking with that many keepers. We have an 8 man keeper league with a normal draft and works out great. The Rich see thier reign coming to an end and that is why they are upset....
gablefan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby latraffic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:13 pm

I agree with the overall consensus - go with the snake draft format. It's the normal convention in FFB and if the two new managers are any good, they can use it to their advantage by making the most of the back-to-back drafting you get by being on the ends of a snake draft. Most important though, don't let something like what kind of draft type to use ruin your whole league. My rec - give in to the majority and enjoy the season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk