Commish question about a trade... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Commish question about a trade...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish question about a trade...

Postby Sixxgunn » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:53 pm

A guy offered a guy a trade. Second guy accepts. I am commish, the trade was on the up and up, so I approved it. Second guy now says he didn't mean to accept, that he even replied to the first guy why he didn't want it. I don't get to see that, as it's an e-mail between the two parties. Do I let them work it out, or try to intervene? I'm thinking it's between them to tell me to reverse this or not. No one has really made a stink yet, but it seems like it could get ugly soon. Any advice?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:08 pm

I would send an email to each manager getting each's current side of the story and letting them know that you're not going to let them get out of control. Tell them that the three of you should come to a conclusion professionally without name calling and stuff. It sounds like none of that has happened yet, but you just want to be on the safe side. Hopefully they'll cooperate and it'll be smooth.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gon_Trevil » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:06 pm

If the guy that made the mistake started asking for a reversal immediately, then I believe him in that it was a mistake. If he waited a couple of days he's full of it.
Gon_Trevil
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Bowie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Who was traded?
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby andus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:22 pm

Unless he retracted right after news about a player involved in the trade, I'd be inclined to void the trade for him. Be sure to get the other owners' input as well, though.
andus
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Heimholder » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:04 pm

I am a commish as well, and believe that in order to reverse this trade you need the other owner to admit that the guy didn't want the trade. Otherwise I think you have to say tough luck, be more careful with your clicker next time. I know in my league I'm very careful about setting precedents like this. Next thing you know other owners will be asking to reverse trades, waiver pickups, draft picks, etc. My 2 cents.
Heimholder
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mrblitz » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:06 pm

Mugrila wrote:I would send an email to each manager getting each's current side of the story and letting them know that you're not going to let them get out of control. Tell them that the three of you should come to a conclusion professionally without name calling and stuff. It sounds like none of that has happened yet, but you just want to be on the safe side. Hopefully they'll cooperate and it'll be smooth.

I agree. That way your ass if clear.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Commish question about a trade...

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:A guy offered a guy a trade. Second guy accepts. I am commish, the trade was on the up and up, so I approved it. Second guy now says he didn't mean to accept, that he even replied to the first guy why he didn't want it. I don't get to see that, as it's an e-mail between the two parties. Do I let them work it out, or try to intervene? I'm thinking it's between them to tell me to reverse this or not. No one has really made a stink yet, but it seems like it could get ugly soon. Any advice?

There are a few things that can swing this either way:

1) Was the trade (mostly) fair in the first place?

2) Did the trade involve players whose names can be easily confused? (There's a whole lotta difference between Tiki Barber and Marion Barber)

3) How soon after the trade did the guy request to have the trade nullified? Was it an hour, the next morning, or a couple days later?

4) Did any big news break about any of the players involved? Did someone get traded? Did someone lose a starting job?

5) Do you know the reputations of the managers involved? Has either of them pulled some crap before?

In addition to asking those questions, you should ask to see the e-mail sent by the team listing reasons they didn't want the trade.
KoopaTroopa211 wrote:This is a talented team that under any other circumstances would be an absolute lock for their 4th championship, but I can't shake the feeling that the push for 16-0 will in the end be the undoing of this team in the playoffs.
KoopaTroopa211
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Take the guy for his word and reverse the trade. Investigate further, and if it comes out somehow that the guy is lying, kick him out of the league.

This kinda stuff happens with internet fantasy football where the accidental click of a button can set a trade in motion.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:22 pm

Sixx - was this a Yahoo league?

I had the same thing happen to me in my $$ league last year - I meant to reject a trade, even wrote something in the comments field like "Yeah right, like I'd trade a young, up-and-coming RB for an aging WR" but then hit Accept by accident. Unfortunately, in Yahoo, the Accept button for trades does not have a second confirmation button even though every freakin other transaction DOES so the trade went through. I immediately emailed both the commish and the other guy to ask that the trade be reversed, and I copied the email to the commish with my comments included. The other guy was a non-dick about it and the trade was reversed...

If it was Yahoo I can definitely see the "mis-click" possibility, so first step would be to ask the owner who offered the trade if he honestly thought the guy was accepting it with the comments he allegedly included. If the owner has any integrity he will confirm that the comments indicated a REJECT and not ACCEPT, and you can veto the trade. If the guy is willing to lie about it, short of having a copy of the other guy's comments there is not much you can do about it...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk