6 pts per passing TD... QB more valuable now? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

6 pts per passing TD... QB more valuable now?

Moderator: Football Moderators

6 pts per passing TD... QB more valuable now?

Postby milo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Its my first year in a 12 team league where QB's get 6 pts per passing TD instead of the usual 4 pts that I am used to in other leagues with 1 pt per 25 yards passing. WR/RB get 6 per TD and 1 pt for 10 yards. Question is...do you draft a QB earlier than you normally would. I usually pick up a QB in rounds 7-8 after my RB's, WR's and a TE. That extra 2 pts for a touchdown put more value for the QB position worthy of drafting one early?
milo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm

If anything it just lowers the value of running QBs like Vick.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Crippler » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:50 pm

No, think about it logically. If EVERY quarterback gets the same advantage of 6TDs, why would they move up in the draft? Cant you still get a decent QB towards the end of the draft? They will still benefit just as much as a QB taken early. The only exception is if you think Manning will throw a ton of TDs, in which case you may be able to justify taking him a few spots earlier. Other than him, most QBs shouldnt move up or down much.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 17)

Postby milo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Yeah I guess that is what I was getting at. I normally wouldnt pick a Manning, Palmer, or Brady early...wasnt sure if that scoring made it worth it. Last year the difference between top qb and 10th best was 12 touchdowns (palmers 32)
milo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby hotdogcollarsdotcom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:00 pm

It absolutely does make QBs more valuable, but only certain ones. And they would be the QBs that traditionally throw lots o' TDs. Easy examples are Manning & Palmer. IMO, these guys move up from 2nd & 4th rd picks to 1st & 3rd respectively. Even guys like CPepp and McNabb have a bit more value here.

As for your point Mr Crippler, thats flawed logic. If QBs now score 6 pts per Td instead of 4, that will be about 40 more FF points each year from an average FF QB. Combine that fact with the general thinking in the league that QBs are now more valuable, and you have to take a QB earlier in the draft. After all, unless you subscribe entirely to VBD, then you must take high scoring FF players early in the draft.
hotdogcollarsdotcom
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 pm

How much earlier you draft your QB depends on your leaguemates. 6 pts for TD does increase a QBs value, but the real kicker is 10 yad per point. That makes QB who have to throw all the time money. It also decreases the penalty for INTs, assuming they are still -2pts. Favre could even be a nice sleeper.

You still need to focus on RBs early, but a late round pick of Manning is great. Other QBs I would put Palmer in the 2/3 rnds, Brady 4th. Otherwise wait and grab a Bulger, Warner, or even Favre later.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk