league's waiver process changed... can I get some opinions? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

league's waiver process changed... can I get some opinions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

league's waiver process changed... can I get some opinions?

Postby FatFoot » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Commish rule:
Waivers will run twice a week. Tuesday morning at 10am and Saturday night around midnight.

You can submit a waiver request at any time and they will sit until one of those two times. I will then run them all based on the waiver priority rules.

FYI - I will not have access to what you submit until those times so I myself won't know what has been submitted.

All players are considered to be on waivers year round, and all pickups are processed via the waiver priority order. Last year, the only players on waivers were those who were actually on waivers... guys who weren't picked up by any team were FA, and you could pick them up without a waiver claim period.

Which method of handling non-team players (waiver and FA) makes more sense to you, and which one is better fantasy football? The new settings make it much harder to swoop in and pick up a player after reading a fresh injury report, etc.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:44 pm

In my redraft league we do Waivers for all players until Tuesday 7pm, then the commish releases the list on Wednesday with who-got-what based on our waiver priority. After that starting at 9am on Thursday until 4hrs before gametime of the first game of the week all players are FA with first-come-first-served by posting the pickup on a message board...

Our Waiver priority is based on current league standings, so the weaker teams have first crack at guys up until Tuesday, and the Thursday-Gametime FA period allows the vultures to still have a shot at the swoop-maneuver if a late-breaking change hits...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:48 am

That's what I'm thinking... that vulture nonsense seems to be one of the things that keeps the game exciting!
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby jayday » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:00 am

FatFoot wrote:That's what I'm thinking... that vulture nonsense seems to be one of the things that keeps the game exciting!

But it's not fair to those people that don't hover over their computers on Sunday afternoons.....Some people work Sundays, or have other committments....By Tuesday, everyone will have had an equal chance to claim players they want....

Your commish is doing the right thing....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby FatFoot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Everyone in our league is a nerd, and is connected like 24 hours a day, but cool, I am looking for opinions leaning either way. I'm not trying to overthrow his decision... just curious how these things are normally handled in money leagues.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:22 pm

lmcjaho wrote:In my redraft league we do Waivers for all players until Tuesday 7pm, then the commish releases the list on Wednesday with who-got-what based on our waiver priority. After that starting at 9am on Thursday until 4hrs before gametime of the first game of the week all players are FA with first-come-first-served by posting the pickup on a message board...

Our Waiver priority is based on current league standings, so the weaker teams have first crack at guys up until Tuesday, and the Thursday-Gametime FA period allows the vultures to still have a shot at the swoop-maneuver if a late-breaking change hits...

This is also how my league works ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:29 pm

jayday wrote:
FatFoot wrote:That's what I'm thinking... that vulture nonsense seems to be one of the things that keeps the game exciting!

But it's not fair to those people that don't hover over their computers on Sunday afternoons.....Some people work Sundays, or have other committments....By Tuesday, everyone will have had an equal chance to claim players they want....

Your commish is doing the right thing....

yah. this is the right way to do things. you should be on top of what's going on (i.e. have waivers run at least twice a week) but you shouldn't have to tether yourself to your computer every time there's an nfl game being played on the off-chance that some running back is going to break their leg. i want to reward correct predictions and thinking ahead, not just an internet connection.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Yeah, but what about fast thinking. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm

I dont like the twice per week waivers. After the first waiver deadline at Tuesday midnight or whatever it is, all free agents should habe cleared waivers, not just the ones being selected.

Actually I'm becoming a big fan of the bid process for waivers. Yes, injuries happen, but I'm not a big fan of rewarding the weakest team with a no.1 waiver choice every week.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby spodog » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:32 pm

We have successfully used a bid process for over a decade, and it works great. Once you go to bidding, you won't go back to waivers.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk