Why do I get this sinking feeling about Nate.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why do I get this sinking feeling about Nate....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why do I get this sinking feeling about Nate....

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:59 am

I currently have Nate Burleson as my #2 on one team this year, and for some reason I just don't feel real good about it. It could be because I drafted him so high last year expecting big things and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Is there any way this guy succeeds in Seattle, or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm not really looking for projections or anything, just an overall feeling about him is all.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:03 am

I'm feeling cautious, but optimistic, on him this year. Watched him in some games in 2004 and he was just so smooth. He would glide across the field and make his catches seemingly effortlessly. Not sure what went wrong with him last year but have hope that he can turn it around in a big passing attack offense (especially with the sidelining of Jackson(?)).

So I'd feel ok to have him as my #2 as long as I had a steadier wr as my #3.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:07 am

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment by having him as your #2 WR.

His Yahoo ADP is around 72, putting him in the 7th round. You should really fill out your starting WRs before that point. With a lot of people taking top WRs in Rd 2, I would expect a #2 WR to be of higher quality.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment by having him as your #2 WR.

His Yahoo ADP is around 72, putting him in the 7th round. You should really fill out your starting WRs before that point. With a lot of people taking top WRs in Rd 2, I would expect a #2 WR to be of higher quality.

True, but when I drafted guys came to me that I didn't expect so I went the wrong way I guess. I took S-Jax, FWP, Chambers, McGahee and by that point all the good WRs were gone, so I took Heap next. At that point it made sense to wait rather than reach on a guy that would be equal to Burleson.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:23 am

I'm actually pretty optimistic about Burleson this year, simply because he's a good player in a great offense with an easy schedule against the pass.

If D-Jax is either injured or just not himself, then Burleson's role should immediately get bigger. I'm not saying to expect 12+ TD's and 1,300+ yards, but I don't think 8-10 TD's and 1,000 yards is very attainable for him. If D-Jax is ok, then maybe temper it a little bit, maybe more like 6-7 TD's and 800 yards... Houshmandzadeh-type numbers.
BillyHallDisciple
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:40 am

the problem I have is that all reports from people in seattle have been that Bobby Engram is still the no. 2 guy. That's not to say that burleson won't produce a la Jurevicious last year, but that situation was certainly aided by injury.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby biju » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:55 am

skibrett15 wrote:the problem I have is that all reports from people in seattle have been that Bobby Engram is still the no. 2 guy. That's not to say that burleson won't produce a la Jurevicious last year, but that situation was certainly aided by injury.

Who in Seattle has been telling you that? :-? Seriously, I fully expect Burleson to be the #2 here.

Still, I don't know if I'd want him as my #2 WR. Hasselbeck moves the ball around well, but I don't think it would be more than most NFL teams' #1 guy. The way this could pan out would be if Jackson weren't able to go a full year due to his lingering injury (and that's a possibility).
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:02 am

You should have a bad feeling Nate = DO NOT DRAFT. I'd rather have Joe J. (no joke).

Nate = junk. He makes Donte Stallworth and Aslie Lelie look attractive.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MickDaddy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:03 am

I see Burly having a good year. Jax can't stay healthy and Nate seems to be clicking with Hass. Wish I could've picked him up...

MickDaddy ;-D
Starters - 12 Team Leauge

Delhomme

L. Johnson
W. Parker

R. Moss
S. Smith
D. Driver

R. Longwell

IDPs
MickDaddy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:04 am

Engram and Hasselbeck still have that chemistry, they have been doing this for 5 years and its obvious in pre-season that Hasselbeck went to Engram as his bail out guy many many times.

I still believe Engram is the #3 and Burleson is the #2, but really Engram will get a lot of catches, after a year I can see Burleson on the same track with Hass.

Right now Seattle spreads the ball out so much its hard to get a solid WR from them besides DJAX, unless DJAX is out i wouldnt start Engram or Burleson, maybe Engram in a 1 point per reception league with 12 or more teams.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Next

Return to Football Talk